Upgrading headlight/foglights bulbs?

RioRed4v

Established Member
Been wanting to upgrade the headlights bulbs for awhile, but I just installed the CS/Boss valance and am extremely disappointed in the fogs since they are nearly useless. Has anyone upgraded to a better bulb?

Trying to find something I can upgrade to that will be on the blue/white-ish side without converting over, but also want better light output on both the fogs and headlights.

Was looking at the Silverstar zXe bulbs. Anyone used these yet?

ViciousJay

Established Member
You need to find the bulb numbers and convert them over, if you dont have projector housings then you will need to obtain their conversion kit which retail for about 50 a piece but that includes bulbs and ballasts, its an easy install

for standard cars the kits you need are

35W.H13 bulb - headlights
35W.H11 bulb - fogs

i think i paid 110 for for kits together. Its kind of a bargin

also look under HID Kits and lighting, the bulb kits above are bulbs that will fit, all you need to pick is the temp of the color light you want

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
The GT/CS fogs seem like they can handle a HID fine for being a halogen based projector system.

If you are wanting to put PNP HIDs into a reflector housing, please don't. People will hate you. And road rage can be bad. Pony up the money for a retrofit kit if this is what you are after. Or buy some take-off '11-'12 OE HID projectors.

RioRed4v

Established Member
The GT/CS fogs seem like they can handle a HID fine for being a halogen based projector system.

If you are wanting to put PNP HIDs into a reflector housing, please don't. People will hate you. And road rage can be bad. Pony up the money for a retrofit kit if this is what you are after. Or buy some take-off '11-'12 OE HID projectors.

I'm really only looking to upgrade the current bulbs (headlights and fogs) with something better, not trying to do any sort of conversions or retrofits.

Thats why i was asking about the Sylvania zXe bulbs (mainly for the headlights). Seemed like they offer a better appearance along with performance.

Wasnt sure what route to go for the fogs though.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Do you plan to use the fog lights as actual fog lights? or extra driving lights?

A buddy of mine showed me a halogen bulb system that acted somewhat like an HID system. It was basically a transformered halogen bulb that kicked out mega light without the glare of an HID, or something like that. I'll have to ask about it.

For the money, a set of Silverstar Ultra bulbs (the expensive ones) are the best at keep good output with nice color temps.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Do you plan to use the fog lights as actual fog lights? or extra driving lights?

A buddy of mine showed me a halogen bulb system that acted somewhat like an HID system. It was basically a transformered halogen bulb that kicked out mega light without the glare of an HID, or something like that. I'll have to ask about it.

For the money, a set of Silverstar Ultra bulbs (the expensive ones) are the best at keep good output with nice color temps.

I like the Ultra bulbs, but supposedly the zXe's are more of a "tuner" bulb with better output and are more of a pure white. Not really sure since I had never seen them before the other day.

Regarding the fogs, I'm using them more of additional driving light vs an actual fog light.

kingnut

Established Member
There arnt any bulbs that are gonna give you noticeable on the road light without installing HID's. They will look brighter when you look at the front of the car but not when you drive it.

If you have non projector housings i would look for a capped HID setup for the headlights and an regular hid setup for the projector CS fogs. HID's are the only way you gonna get more usable light on the road.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Those fogs will only be usable for extra driving light with HIDs as king it stated.

I stand behind my retrofit comment, because you really can get a badass and better setup for less than the cost of a OE projector light.

I plan on eventually swapping out the D3S projectors in my '13 to a D2S setup. A guy on F150online just did this swap in his '13 F150 headlights which use the same setup as the Mustang.

RC-5.0

Established Member
I bought the HID kit for my CS from DDM.

IMG_6662-1.jpg

Before:

IMG_6630.jpg

After:

IMG_6629.jpg

Just remember.. fog lights are not "supposed" to be bright, or else they will bounce of the fog theyre meant for.
RC

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Not really a fan of how they look on these cars:shrug:

Huh? Buy an OEM color. Like 4300k or 4500k. It will look OEM and give you 3 times the light output. Buy a 35 watt kit if you don't want to blind oncoming drivers.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Just remember.. fog lights are not "supposed" to be bright, or else they will bounce of the fog theyre meant for.
RC

MEH.

I have 55 watt 4500k HID's in my OEM gt500 fogs and they're are as bright as daylight. I love them. Yea I get flashed sometimes but they are awesome DRL's as well. Car looks great with them on.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Huh? Buy an OEM color. Like 4300k or 4500k. It will look OEM and give you 3 times the light output. Buy a 35 watt kit if you don't want to blind oncoming drivers.

Was saying with the factory HID look I dont like how they look in the housing on these cars. They look like bug eyes:shrug:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
RC

Not really the truth, but I get what you are saying. Brightness is relative. You can fog lights bright as hell that will cut through fog still.

Fog lights are supposed to emit light waves within a certain color range in order to "cut" through the fog. The lower the Kelvin color temp, the better they "cut" through, since the light wave frequency is higher. This is why the bluer/purpuler in color you go with an HID bulb drastically decreases the effective distance you can see (that's another story).

3000K-4000K are the most ideal bulbs for a true fog light setup. A reason in which Le Mans Champ cars run yellow headlights. Rain, snow, fog, clear night they can still see effectively.

Swiftoy

Established Member
Phillips extreme power H13/9008 are a better choice than Silverstars do some research the have better light output. If you are going to do an HID kit Retro solutions offers one where they cap the bulbs. This blocks light output from the tip of the bulb reducing glare to oncoming drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread