Upgrading from 2.3 Whipple

Jtaugner

Established Member
With the VMP sale on the Gen3R, would it be worthwhile to upgrade my 2.3 Whipple? Another possibility is a Gen5 3.0 Whipple. Gen3R is currently on sale for $5,000 for the maximum effort kit. 3.0 Whipple is $6,200.

Car is purely a weekend warrior, don't plan on building the engine.

Thanks in advance.

cj428mach

Established Member
What fuel? I'd think the 3.0 is a definite no and the 2.65 is a kinda no if you're gas. I was talking to a friend of mine who is no stranger to these cars about going Whipple 3.0. He just recently pulled a 3.0 and and was telling me he'd never go 3.0 and the TVS is so much easier to work on and not as hard on stuff.

phils04gt

Established Member
I'd keep the 2.3 and spin it harder.

I've changed out blowers at least 5 times and it's not worth it. Unless you are purposefully driving (track) I dont see the need to upgrade.

If I were to do it all over, I would just keep the 2.3 TVS on e85 and call it a day.
I think the TVS 2.3 would be my choice for 93 but I can't find one - none for sale.

DCguy

Established Member
The bigger blowers just need boost to do what they're meant to and that means E85. There's not point on spending $6k on a 3.0 and running it on 93 at 18psi and low timing......Its going to feel lazy. Plus I think you'd have to run like a 4in upper and a factory lower to achieve that.

The real benefit of the Gen3R is its new rotor pack from Magnussen.....its a very efficient and cool running blower and still hits pretty hard down low even on lower boost so that was the reason I went with it. The fact that you can remove the elbow was also a big selling point.

The TVS 2.3's are amazing little blowers......there are multiple built motor cars running a bit higher compression, cams and LT's that have made over 800whp on E85 on that blower....one was at 858whp.

I've said this before but if VMP updated their 2.3 with the new Gen3R rotor pack, that would be the hottest selling head unit. I'd sell my 2.65 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread