Upgraded to iPhone 11 Max and got to keep XS Max!

quad

Established Member
So I upgraded to a XS Max 256 GB 6 months ago and signed on to the ATT Next 24 plan which meant the phone could be upgraded after 12 months. This weekend I stopped by a store to see if I could upgrade earlier.

The guy checked the system and noticed the XS Max was not attached to a specific line for some reason and that I could upgrade it to 11 Max 256 GB. He then checked with a supervisor and was told I get to keep the XS Max also. I asked him if I would be charged for it and he said no and my Next 24 payments would remain the same. I asked him what's the catch and he said there was none and this happens sometimes to customers.

This sounds too good to be true. The XS Max as configured was about $1200 and I only paid 6 months on it. I'll keep an eye on my statements it makes no sense but I am not complaining! I really like the new cameras of the 11 Max. The ultra wide angle is very cool!

nickf2005

Established Member
So I upgraded to a XS Max 256 GB 6 months ago and signed on to the ATT Next 24 plan which meant the phone could be upgraded after 12 months. This weekend I stopped by a store to see if I could upgrade earlier.

The guy checked the system and noticed the XS Max was not attached to a specific line for some reason and that I could upgrade it to 11 Max 256 GB. He then checked with a supervisor and was told I get to keep the XS Max also. I asked him if I would be charged for it and he said no and my Next 24 payments would remain the same. I asked him what's the catch and he said there was none and this happens sometimes to customers.

This sounds too good to be true. The XS Max as configured was about $1200 and I only paid 6 months on it. I'll keep an eye on my statements it makes no sense but I am not complaining! I really like the new cameras of the 11 Max. The ultra wide angle is very cool!
Been enjoying the wide angle on my S10+ for a while now... way to be behind.

View attachment 1600668
20190914_170208.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
A 256gb XS max is bringing $825-850 still, so if you really do get to keep it, that's a pretty sweet deal.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely watch your AT&T statements. What I don't understand is why they said it wasn't attached to a specific phone line. How does that work with your phone bill, since it's based in part on your phone lines. Good for you if this is all legit.

I ordered my iPhone 11 Pro Max (256gb) last week. It's due to be delivered on or about October 2nd. Mine was a trade-up (Verizon). I get the 11 Pro Max and I send back the XS Max. I'm really anxious to try on the new cameras. Especially the improvements with low light shots at night. The new and improved camera features are very welcomed, as my iPhone is my only camera. ;)

What color did you get? I went with Midnight Green (which is more gray than green). I was tired of Space Gray.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Definitely watch your AT&T statements. What I don't understand is why they said it wasn't attached to a specific phone line. How does that work with your phone bill, since it's based in part on your phone lines. Good for you if this is all legit.

I ordered my iPhone 11 Pro Max (256gb) last week. It's due to be delivered on or about October 2nd. Mine was a trade-up (Verizon). I get the 11 Pro Max and I send back the XS Max. I'm really anxious to try on the new cameras. Especially the improvements with low light shots at night. The new and improved camera features are very welcomed, as my iPhone is my only camera. ;)

What color did you get? I went with Midnight Green (which is more gray than green). I was tired of Space Gray.
I love the green color.

I'll probably end up with that phone. I was bored yesterday and called around, there is one mall in the state that expects to have some coming in within 5-7 days. All other places are anywhere from 3-7 weeks out on fulfilling their pre orders with shipments.

quad

Established Member
Been enjoying the wide angle on my S10+ for a while now... way to be behind.

View attachment 1600668View attachment 1600669

I saw the Samsung phones have the wide angles also and the specs look good. I like Samsung TVs but they pissed me off after I bought a Galaxy Tablet at Costco years ago and they stopped supporting updates on it after 1-2 years. So I am stuck with a really old version of Android on it that can only work with older software. The iPhone 11 has a faster processor also compared to the S10+ and Note 10.

I have a Samsung Bluray player / entertainment center that is now starting to auto eject the tray rendering the device useless. It is a common problem that can be fixed by opening the case and disconnecting the front control panel. There appears to be a glitch with it. I just think it sucks that they don't recall it. I have actually watched only 1 Bluray on it in 5 years. I really bought it for the speakers and now can't use that till I fix the tray issue because the device will switch from Direct Input source mode to Bluray mode when the tray is ejected which causes the sound to stop playing on the TV. I've also had issues updating Samsung TV firmwares.

In my experience Samsung has not been that great as far as updates / support are concerned on some devices. Perhaps this has changed. My computer screens are Samsung and I have no issues so far after 2.5 years.

Those Samsung phones look really good though! I really hate the notch on the iPhone. But the phone works well and they are very good with updates. Nvidia is another company like Apple that is excellent with updates. That raises the value of their products.

850SNCobra

Established Member
Damn you're lucky as hell!
I just finished paying off my X, to be perfectly honest it still performs almost as good as the day I got it. BUT if I could only pay half of what my phone costed me and then upgrade to the newest model and still keep my old phone then that's a no brainer!

I like to keep my phones and not trade them in so paying them off and being able to keep them means a lot to me.

Updates on iPhones is what keeps me coming back to them lol, I doubt 5 years from now that the current Samsung phones will get Android OS updates.

quad

Established Member

I need to spend some time with the camera settings. These modern phone cameras are very capable.

I went with Space Gray since that is all they had in stock. The glass back looks really good. Mine is concealed in an Otterbox Symmetry case so the color was not that important to me.

I really don't know why the phone was not attached to a line. 6 months ago I had an iPhone 6 Pro and my wife an iPhone 6. I upgraded to the XS Max and got a third line so I could get her iPhone XR for free. I told them at the store that the new line would be for the XS Max and that my old number could stay on the 6 Pro and my wife's line would go with the XR. Then when I got home I realized this would not work since I have a lot of accounts that require authentication on my mobile number to sign in on untrusted devices. And it would be a real pain to change all those numbers out. Plus many of my contacts would have to be notified of the new number. Not that this is a bad thing because I might now want everyone to contact me lol!

So I went back to the store and had them swap out the sim cards from the 6 Plus to the XS Max. I gave the 6 Plus (new phone line) to my father-in law so he could use it. More than one ATT employee from 2 stores had worked on the phones and account and perhaps something went wrong on their side. We'll see. If they end up charging me for the XS Max I will raise hell! :)

quad

Established Member
Damn you're lucky as hell!
I just finished paying off my X, to be perfectly honest it still performs almost as good as the day I got it. BUT if I could only pay half of what my phone costed me and then upgrade to the newest model and still keep my old phone then that's a no brainer!

I like to keep my phones and not trade them in so paying them off and being able to keep them means a lot to me.

Updates on iPhones is what keeps me coming back to them lol, I doubt 5 years from now that the current Samsung phones will get Android OS updates.
Yes I keep all the old phones. I have given two to relatives over the years. I have a few older iPhones laying around in the house. I better check the batteries on them since they have been turned off and like any other battery will drain over time. Eventually those batteries will become useless and then the only way to use the device would be with a power cable.

There is a drawback to IOS updates on older devices though. Eventually IOS becomes too slow on the older phones with all the bells and whistles they add over the years unless you keep it barebones with minimal apps.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
My 256GB 11 Pro will be here Wednesday. Im excited. Coming from Iphone 7. I figured it was time to upgrade as well while they'd still give me some money for the 7. I went with Midnight Green as well.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I need to spend some time with the camera settings. These modern phone cameras are very capable.

I went with Space Gray since that is all they had in stock. The glass back looks really good. Mine is concealed in an Otterbox Symmetry case so the color was not that important to me.

I really don't know why the phone was not attached to a line. 6 months ago I had an iPhone 6 Pro and my wife an iPhone 6. I upgraded to the XS Max and got a third line so I could get her iPhone XR for free. I told them at the store that the new line would be for the XS Max and that my old number could stay on the 6 Pro and my wife's line would go with the XR. Then when I got home I realized this would not work since I have a lot of accounts that require authentication on my mobile number to sign in on untrusted devices. And it would be a real pain to change all those numbers out. Plus many of my contacts would have to be notified of the new number. Not that this is a bad thing because I might now want everyone to contact me lol!

So I went back to the store and had them swap out the sim cards from the 6 Plus to the XS Max. I gave the 6 Plus (new phone line) to my father-in law so he could use it. More than one ATT employee from 2 stores had worked on the phones and account and perhaps something went wrong on their side. We'll see. If they end up charging me for the XS Max I will raise hell! :)
I hope it works out in your favor.

nickf2005

Established Member
Yes I keep all the old phones. I have given two to relatives over the years. I have a few older iPhones laying around in the house. I better check the batteries on them since they have been turned off and like any other battery will drain over time. Eventually those batteries will become useless and then the only way to use the device would be with a power cable.

There is a drawback to IOS updates on older devices though. Eventually IOS becomes too slow on the older phones with all the bells and whistles they add over the years unless you keep it barebones with minimal apps.
OP, I forgot to mention. AT&T had a special going on a few years back. Buy a tablet for $200 and activate a line for one year, get a $200 credit (so basically a free tablet with paid service). So, I signed up. Well, they goofed something up, credited my $200, only after "refunding" me $200. So, they paid me $200 to take a tablet and spend $120 on a year of service. I kept my mouth shut because I've spent a small fortune with that company.

Point is, goofs do happen. Just keep an eye out.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I got one Friday. 256 11 Pro Green. It’s a great phone, very happy with it, the camera is awesome even with my incapable hands. It’s also noticeably faster than my X.

mom happy with the upgrade my only complaint is that it should have been a 128gb for $999.

quad

Established Member
I got one Friday. 256 11 Pro Green. It’s a great phone, very happy with it, the camera is awesome even with my incapable hands. It’s also noticeably faster than my X.

mom happy with the upgrade my only complaint is that it should have been a 128gb for $999.
The cameras are great! Night mode is amazing but not available in ultra wide mode. The iPhone 11 won't replace a professional camera for people that are really into photography but it ups the quality for everyone else.

Night Mode isn't miraculous, but it's really impressive - 9to5Mac

Users who are viewing this thread