upgraded clutches and shaft in my 6R80

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Well last night me and the mad scientist "HONDASAKI" ripped open my 6R80 to replace the clutches and intermediate shaft with some better Exedy stage 2 clutches and a billet intermediate shaft. Here are some pics, and big thanks to Brett for the rebuild And Justin at VMP for get to the parts here quick like!!!

Screenshot_2015-02-19-22-46-39.png

20150218_161045.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-20-05-36-24.png

Screenshot_2015-02-20-05-36-39.png

20150219_203021.jpg

20150219_204437.jpg

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Not really sure when is a good idea but with nitrous over 150 shot applies so much torque on take off that the factory clutches slip causing inconsistencies in shifting, especially the 1-2 shift. If I was gonna recommend this I would say 650+ would be a good idea. The clutches had significant wear with small chips and the steel plates had bad hot spots. Remember this tranny only had 25,000 miles.

D98GT

Established Member
This will likely be my next "mod" that I perform as I haven't done it yet. I know that they at a minimum suggest doing the clutches but I do agree to go ahead and install the billet shaft at the same time while there.

Angry50

Established Member
This will likely be my next "mod" that I perform as I haven't done it yet. I know that they at a minimum suggest doing the clutches but I do agree to go ahead and install the billet shaft at the same time while there.

Do they seem to be slipping with the Paxton? or just doing as precaution??

D98GT

Established Member
I do need to update my signature as my car laid down over 800 on a mustang dyno recently so it's a little more than just a bolted on Paxton at this point. I haven't experienced any slipping or problems at all as of yet (I do have a torque converter in the car as well) but I would much rather spend the $1500 now compared to the price of what a transmission will cost if/when it breaks. It's always something when you start doing single digit passes haha

HONDASAKI

Established Member
Your welcome Christian. It was fun! As long as UPS shows up today I will being installing mine tonight. I will take pics of the intermediate shaft that gets replaced with a hardened unit. After seing how small the drive gear is on that shaft I wouldn't think twice about relpacing it. It's hard to believe we don't see more of them broken.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I. Need. Auto.

Hopefully this helps with the shifting inconsistencies!!!

Sell you mine.

A lot of stock clutches come out looking like that and often the fluid won't look bad, not giving anyone much idea of just how rough the stock clutches have it. Exedy ftw

dennisn

Established Member
I got all parts just gotta have em installed. Wondering though if it's worth throwing in the deep tranny pan while I'm at it.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
it's hard to say when, a lot of it depends on how often you hit the track, how much hp / torque your putting down, how good the tune is.

we worked with exedy for about 2 years really getting these things dialed in

this def isn't an install that I would tackle yourself unless you really know what your doing.

since we were putting the converter in our 2015, we did the clutches and shaft since we had it out. we do 1-2 of these a week on average, so we've gotten really good at it.

with the clutch upgrade, you can get more aggressive with the pressures as well

heres a nice video of a teardown of the trans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJUCCVUevMI

Last edited:

2012csgt

Established Member
it's hard to say when, a lot of it depends on how often you hit the track, how much hp / torque your putting down, how good the tune is.

we worked with exedy for about 2 years really getting these things dialed in

this def isn't an install that I would tackle yourself unless you really know what your doing.

since we were putting the converter in our 2015, we did the clutches and shaft since we had it out. we do 1-2 of these a week on average, so we've gotten really good at it.

with the clutch upgrade, you can get more aggressive with the pressures as well

heres a nice video of a teardown of the trans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJUCCVUevMI

Do you carry these in stock? I want to order the clutches and shaft from you ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread