Upgrade tensioner?

MCT

Established Member
Hey all, nows the time to change my bent tensioner. Wondering which route I should take. I’m running 21lbs and in the future plan on running more. Have a 2.9 Whipple.

Any guys out there running with a stock tensioner making 600+?

I’m trying to think if I should run with a stock tensioner plus a support plate, or if I should just upgrade. Suggestions?

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I bought my car making over 600rwhp, put 1500 miles on it. Then I switched to e85 uped the timing and boost. Made a little over 800rwhp last year and put almost 1500 miles. The whole time with the stock tensioner. But I am going to switch it out for the roush tensioner here soon. And also probably pick up the adjustable pulley made by Whipple. Also switched to a auto that should really help with the violent action of the tensioner

MG0h3

Established Member
Stock tensioner on @21psi. Been that way for years with no issue

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

94slowbra1

Established Member
my stocker was fine but i wanted something that looked better. so i upgraded to the roush unit and have happy so far. no slip at 21-22lbs. i also have metco idlers

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Gets asked all the time in here, came up a few weeks ago as well.

Great bang for the buck is definitely the Roush version - just over $100 and built like a tank. Swap the pulley and it works perfectly ----> Engine

Roush%20tensioner.jpg

MCT

Established Member

I bought my car making over 600rwhp, put 1500 miles on it. Then I switched to e85 uped the timing and boost. Made a little over 800rwhp last year and put almost 1500 miles. The whole time with the stock tensioner. But I am going to switch it out for the roush tensioner here soon. And also probably pick up the adjustable pulley made by Whipple. Also switched to a auto that should really help with the violent action of the tensioner
Are you guys both using a support plate?

MCT

Established Member
Gets asked all the time in here, came up a few weeks ago as well.

Great bang for the buck is definitely the Roush version - just over $100 and built like a tank. Swap the pulley and it works perfectly ----> Engine

View attachment 1563702
Thanks! So you don't recommend Thump RRR Racing tensioner? It's a little pricey, but I don't mind. However I don't want to go out and waste money for no reason.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
It's your cash, but I dig bang-for-the-buck. I don't see the sense in spending $400+ on something can be essentially matched for about 1/4 the price.

More on it in my build thread, which also has plenty of bang...Aluminator Gibtec Build

MCT

Established Member
It's your cash, but I dig bang-for-the-buck. I don't see the sense in spending $400+ on something can be essentially matched for about 1/4 the price.

More on it in my build thread, which also has plenty of bang...Aluminator Gibtec Build
Would you have to modfiy anything from the Roush tensioner or is it a direct bolt on??

jony51999

Established Member
I have a stock tensioner and has slipping...ground the stop tab off and bought the metco brace and went back, no issues even at 23.5psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCT

Established Member

What did you do to keep it from shredding your belt? Mine is slowly getting chewed up.

A few Mustang guys around my area are telling me to get the Billet Aluminum Tensioner with 90mm Aluminum Billet Idler Pulley from Thump, but it's a bit too pricey, and according to others on here, I'm pretty much wasting $$$ if that is the case.

94slowbra1

Established Member
The billet ones look great and probably work well. Although I have seen them pop up for sale sometimes so take that for what you will.
I scored a roush one for a great price so it was a no brainer. Looks much better that the stocker and it works.
The steeds is a stock one with a plate welded on the front

MCT

Established Member
The billet ones look great and probably work well. Although I have seen them pop up for sale sometimes so take that for what you will.
I scored a roush one for a great price so it was a no brainer. Looks much better that the stocker and it works.
The steeds is a stock one with a plate welded on the front
Think it's worth it, or should I just stop being a cheap shit and say f it and shell out $500+ for the billets?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
22psi for ten years, 2.3 whipple, 2.6 RR upper, factory caged lower, whipple adjustable tensioner pulley, metco support plate, idlers all metco dual

No issues at all. I've run regular gates belt, green belt, gatorback, and finally I'm on an RPM now. I've had the RPM on for about 2 years, still looks great!

04torchred

Established Member
Are you guys both using a support plate?

Judging from the side by side pic of the stock tensioner vs the roush I don't think you will be able to unless you build larger spacers to move the plate out for the added thickness of the tensioner arm.

I am still on the stock tensioner with a metco plate. Its been ported eaton to a 3.4L Whipple and seems to be holding up fine.

I have a metco adjustable lower idler pulley plate that is pretty trick for adjusting belt tension as well and wrap on the lower pulley. I believe it came with their X10 setup and I managed to pick one up loose years back.

The whipple adjustable idler is a good option as well.

Tensioner is the last thing I would be stressing about. Just don't run a manual one, there needs to be some give in the system somewhere or you start breaking stuff.

04torchred

Established Member
22psi for ten years, 2.3 whipple, 2.6 RR upper, factory caged lower, whipple adjustable tensioner pulley, metco support plate, idlers all metco dual

No issues at all. I've run regular gates belt, green belt, gatorback, and finally I'm on an RPM now. I've had the RPM on for about 2 years, still looks great!

Hahaha I think members should quote distance driven on the belt/parts for people, I don't think your beauty sees many miles in 2 years. I know with kids and life now mine doesn't move a lot anymore.

If it helps OP, just get a belt that wraps tight. I ran 18psi on my 3.4L with a regular gates belt for roughly 10,000kms. Finally swapped to a green belt this year as I was getting a squeak from the belt on cold start ups. Even then it had no slip, but the new belt cured the start up squeak.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Hahaha I think members should quote distance driven on the belt/parts for people, I don't think your beauty sees many miles in 2 years. I know with kids and life now mine doesn't move a lot anymore.

good one. well, it's definitely dwindled over the years.....but as far as the components with the exception of belts.....they've been in place for 10k miles or 16,000 KM for you canadians

I consider belts like plugs or oil.....never a bad idea or too expensive to swap every year. But I can say I've never snapped a belt or been stranded at any point. And although this car is very clean...that doesn't mean I don't have fun on the drives it does see. If I don't get one of these in on any given outing...I feel pretty cheated coming back home lol

04torchred

Established Member
good one. well, it's definitely dwindled over the years.....but as far as the components with the exception of belts.....they've been in place for 10k miles or 16,000 KM for you canadians

I consider belts like plugs or oil.....never a bad idea or too expensive to swap every year. But I can say I've never snapped a belt or been stranded at any point. And although this car is very clean...that doesn't mean I don't have fun on the drives it does see. If I don't get one of these in on any given outing...I feel pretty cheated coming back home lol

Nice video it sounds good.

I always give people a hard time using years, its just not a very quantitative measurement stick is all. Not meaning its a garage queen by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread