Upgrade Door Sill Plates to lighted 2012 GT

twistedneck

Established Member
I wanted to add some premium 400A package bling to my 300A mustang by putting on the lighted door sills. See link below from ebay these are take off's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Illuminated...ash=item33abbe9ae1:g:lqIAAOSwPhdVJuam&vxp=mtr

Does my non lighted sill plate 300A have the wiring in place to hook up the lighted sill plates?

Any idea how I should install these if it doesn't?

I noticed some of these have 'my color' assuming those can change to match the dash colors. I don't know how to change the color if I don't have that in my dash!

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
Pull your stock ones off and see if there are any plugs to hook it up

KushBandit

Established Member
They probably won't turn on as you need to turn on the door sills through the premium "mycolor" gauge cluster, via Ambient Lighting. The color changes in the gauges and through out the car, like for the floor lighting/cup holders and door sills. If the stock gauge cluster doesn't have the lighting option, and I doubt it does, you can always go buy a premium cluster and swap it over.

twistedneck

Established Member
They probably won't turn on as you need to turn on the door sills through the premium "mycolor" gauge cluster, via Ambient Lighting. The color changes in the gauges and through out the car, like for the floor lighting/cup holders and door sills. If the stock gauge cluster doesn't have the lighting option, and I doubt it does, you can always go buy a premium cluster and swap it over.

I think you are correct KushBandit, i'll probably have to wire it up to the like the aftermarket ones.

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/53304-manu.pdf

Remove upper trim by door / a pillar, expose the harness, splice in a power and ground wire and snake that down to the new sills. That way it turns on with the dome light. But, what if the default color is red or something?

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
It is 60 in Michigan today. Takes all of 2 minutes to pull them off

twistedneck

Established Member
It is 60 in Michigan today. Takes all of 2 minutes to pull them off

OH some other Michigander had to call me out! I'm pretty much useless on Sunday's - busy preparing depressing thoughts for Monday morning. Only thing saving the day is the Walking Dead :)

steveosvt

Established Member
I think you are correct KushBandit, i'll probably have to wire it up to the like the aftermarket ones.

Remove upper trim by door / a pillar, expose the harness, splice in a power and ground wire and snake that down to the new sills. That way it turns on with the dome light. But, what if the default color is red or something?
I have done this.

Each led has its own leads - the my color feature works like an RGB matrix. There is a wire for red, blue, and green then of course ground. They are not color coded. Once you get your sills, get a battery and test each lead to get the colors, then wire up the color you want. Luckily all of the mycolor components have the required step downs internal so 12 volts is fine. I think I tested with a 9 volt battery. As mentioned you will have no control over the mix like a mycolor car will. I connected all three for an almost white illumination. I did the same with the lighted cupholder. It works the same way. I purchased a totaled 2011 premium car so I had the body harness side connectors which makes it easier to remove/ reinstall when required.

There are other locations for the power connections, but the dome light does work and it easy to access.

DeeJayTJ

Established Member
i also have done this... in fact i went and did the whole ambient lighting package to my base model 13.

My door sills are wired up to a common cathode rgb controller and are set to turn on anytime the interior dash lights get power (using a relay) so when i open the doors, everything lights up (if its night time or dark out) as well as when the headlights are on. I do have a writeup on this type of stuff if you are interested. Actually not a write up but a detailed forum post.

IMG_1871-M.jpg

IMG_1870-M.jpg

IMG_1915-M.jpg

IMG_1880-M.jpg

here are some older pics before i converted to leather and before i built my double din radio bezel to mount up high rather than in front of shifter.

IMG_0592-M.jpg

IMG_0593-M.jpg

IMG_0600-L.jpg

IMG_0607-L.jpg

IMG_0609-L.jpg

IMG_0619-L.jpg

IMG_0628-L.jpg

Last edited:

JDos1

Established Member

If you wire it up per these instructions, they'll work but you won't be able to switch colors. I added them to mine a few years ago and it's a 30 min install tops. If you look at step 12 it tells you which wire to choose for what color you want.

twistedneck

Established Member
Well i finally got around to installing them. easy install - the sills light up nicely. Now my car wont start, i get the theft symbol blinking, check charging system error, tpms error, fuel gage shows zero even with key on, actually when i first turn it to the key on position it has a 4-8 chime warning note, then goes on to the usual dings. radio wont turn on although the screen lights up and tells you the time and outside temp. wipers work all lights work.battery is fresh. blower motor also wont run. double checked installation - the car simply wont even click, almost like you didn't put the clutch in.

Any ideas? i went with the blue oval industries kit using oem sills and the wire harness kit they supplied. btw, i chose blue for the color it should be called purple.

at this point, my car is bricked.

KPatrone

Established Member
Well i finally got around to installing them. easy install - the sills light up nicely. Now my car wont start, i get the theft symbol blinking, check charging system error, tpms error, fuel gage shows zero even with key on, actually when i first turn it to the key on position it has a 4-8 chime warning note, then goes on to the usual dings. radio wont turn on although the screen lights up and tells you the time and outside temp. wipers work all lights work.battery is fresh. blower motor also wont run. double checked installation - the car simply wont even click, almost like you didn't put the clutch in.

Any ideas? i went with the blue oval industries kit using oem sills and the wire harness kit they supplied. btw, i chose blue for the color it should be called purple.

at this point, my car is bricked.
I have a premium cluster if that ends up being the solution. Good luck!

twistedneck

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-sills-ignition-wont-work-fan-dead-radio-dead

solved!! freaking harness came loose under the kick panel. thank god. works great now.. although blue is purple-blue. should have done white.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-sills-ignition-wont-work-fan-dead-radio-dead

solved!! freaking harness came loose under the kick panel. thank god. works great now.. although blue is purple-blue. should have done white.

Had to fix the wiring. I was on the hot wire given by the incorrect directions. Those said to use the black yellow ground (fine) and green yellow hot.. (wrong). The correct switched domelight power wire for a 2012 GT in the passenger A pillar is grey purple!! Yes, thats the correct switched power wire is grey purple. Nothi g like bad onstructions to really make the install difficult. Thanks classic design concepts.

Users who are viewing this thread