upgrade clutch 26 spline or not?

sonicblur03

Established Member
At the end of this month I'm having a whipple installed with all the supporting mods and going to have the car tuned to a 600hp level. Car has 29k miles on it and I want to upgrade to a centerforce dfx 26 spline clutch and input shaft. I know it is gonna cost me an extra grand to do it . So I was wondering if I should just upgrade the clutch with the stock input shaft and spend the rest on the IRS bushings,brace,etc or spend the money and get it done now. any replies would greatly be appreciated, just not smart ass ones. thanks sonicblur03

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
26 spline input shaft is only about $300 bucks. Do it right the first time. Cheap insurance IMHO!

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
An extra grand to do it? Read the guide on here about how to install the 26 spline yourself, it's really not that hard.

I definitely think installing the 26 spline is the right move...

I would second guess the idea of going with a DFX as well, those things aren't much fun at all since they chatter like a bitch.. My brothers terminator had one and one of the first things he did to the car was get rid of that clutch...

venom one

Schoolin' your kids
Established Member
Do the input shaft. Not hard to do. Don't know about the DFX clutch but my Spec 3+ works well for me.

sonicblur03

Established Member
sorry guys when I said a grand I meant input shaft clutch flywheel throwout bearing most kits are more than a grand.

whippledsonic

Established Member
Do it, you will be glad you did. take care of everything you can while the tranny is out. i run the combo you are going with, and i race at the track alot and have had no problems with that combo. yes that clutch does chatter a bit, but worth for me at the track. no slip. good luck.:beer:

Black Sex

Established Member
do the shaft. easy and cheap. The second night i had my 2.76 pulley on, my input shaft broke on me at about 5500 rpm with the tires spinning in 2nd gear. It dont take much for them to break apparently. It left me stranded for 2 hrs, untill someone could come get me. Then while you are in there you might as well do the throwout bearing sleave too.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
If you look at the 10 spline shaft carefully you will realize the effective diameter is no bigger then the pilot bearing. Scary!

Skip03Vert

Established Member
how much do you think a reputable shop with charge to switch it over, because myself.. i do not mess with trannys (go ahead.. make the joke)

SVTPaul

Established Member
how much do you think a reputable shop with charge to switch it over, because myself.. i do not mess with trannys (go ahead.. make the joke)

I would definitely go to 26-spline while you're in there, no question! And don't be afraid to tackle this yourself! I don't mess with transmissions either but the 26-spline was really very easy to do. Just find a good walkthrough (there was a nice one on here that I used) and take your time. The worst part of the job by far is getting the trans out and back in! I highly recommend getting the Lethal TOB retainer sleeve and the FRPP Heavy Duty TOB while you are at it! I wish I had gotten that throwout bearing!! I put a new friction surface on my Fidanza too but that was a given of course.

If I can help you in any way or if you have any questions just let me know.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I highly recommend getting the FRPP Heavy Duty TOB while you are at it! I wish I had gotten that throwout bearing!!

That bearing design is a lost cause no matter how you dress it up. Calling it "HD" is a contradiction in terms. Compared to other designs it's the worst one I have ever seen. Is there even a seal on it to protect the bearing? :nonono:

SVTPaul

Established Member
That bearing design is a lost cause no matter how you dress it up. Calling it "HD" is a contradiction in terms. Compared to other designs it's the worst one I have ever seen. Is there even a seal on it to protect the bearing? :nonono:

Well damn I dunno but the TO bearing that came with my RAM kit has gotten noisy with less than 4k miles. I guess I should have kept the Centerforce one in there... Who makes the best available throwout bearing for our cars then?

Last edited:

SVTPaul

Established Member
An extra grand to do it? Read the guide on here about how to install the 26 spline yourself, it's really not that hard.

I definitely think installing the 26 spline is the right move...

I would second guess the idea of going with a DFX as well, those things aren't much fun at all since they chatter like a bitch.. My brothers terminator had one and one of the first things he did to the car was get rid of that clutch...

BTW the car he refers to is mine...and tossing that DFX for the Ram HDT that I now have was a night and day difference! Drivability in traffic was infinitely improved, and the pedal effort is great in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread