updating X4, stuck connecting to wifi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
so my X4 has been sitting around for....a long time, 6+ months probably. Im supposed to datalog the car on the dyno tomorrow so I thought it would be a great idea to update it. It did some updates including what looked like a firmware update. When I plug it into USB it says tune revision update, shows the wifi networks (username and password are correct, just like when it download updates minutes earlier) but now it's just sitting here saying "connecting to wifi ap please wait"

I plan to leave it here when I go to bed in a few but I doubt SCT is gonna be open in the morning, anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks!

96gt02

Established Member
Man I dont know how many more times I can say this but Never ever ever ever update a good working SCT tuner, you will gain nothing (actually you will lose user adjustable options depending on your last update) and only open a very good possibility of issues as their software is pretty garbage. This is coming from someone who sells hundreds of their tuners.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not sure if this info from an older SVTP thread will help, but I'll post it anyway just in case. It is for the older X3, but maybe it also applies to the X4.

Hey guys im sharing the fix I found for the x3 old firmware update freeze issues.

Hopefully if someone else has this issue it will be searchable!

Running on a windows 8.1 computer

I was updating my old sf3/x3 device from 2010 with really old firmware and it was hung up on the firmware update process for hours( the green bars were not moving), because for some reason SCT stopped putting the firmware files on there site to manually update it, so you are forced to use the: Automatically check for updates box.

After many many searches to find if someone uploaded the firmware files(Could only find old x3 3000 files not 3015(XP)

I noticed that the device had a bootloader screen when it was trying to update.

So I rechecked the drivers and they where fine as in no !. next to the x3 in device manager. However what you need to do is plug the device in while holding down the cancel button to put the device into firmware update mode. When in that mode it had a driver issue in device manager.

So you need to manually install the device drivers for both the normal mode (just plugging it in) AND the firmware mode (holding down cancel while plugging in the device):mj:

After I did that sure enough its downloading 2988 files as I type! I guess as it updates the device switches to a bootloader mode and the computer quits recognizing it so it will freeze the update.

So now I will be able to hold ten tunes! That three tune crap was a pain in the butt.

CLIFFS:

When updating an ancient x3 running old firmware make sure to manually update the device drivers in both the normal mode and the firmware mode.

Here's the thread I was referring to.
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/sct-sf3-x3-handheld-firmware-update-issues.1053045/

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
The X4 seems like a garbage handheld. I almost bricked mine when I tried to update it (got some weird error message, couldnt do anything besides look at the error message). Tapped it a few times on my desk and the thing is working again.

I would just leave it alone if it is working.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve got it where it seems to be functional for now. But ya, pretty over sct, their shit is always ****ing up

96gt02

Established Member
The X4 seems like a garbage handheld. I almost bricked mine when I tried to update it (got some weird error message, couldnt do anything besides look at the error message). Tapped it a few times on my desk and the thing is working again.

I would just leave it alone if it is working.

There is a remote battery and an SD card inside of the X4 the can get unseated and cause the instant error message thats why wacking it usually fixes them. Also for some reason if you open them up, disconnect the screen ribbon and then reassemble it, will fix the error 99% of the time.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
There is a remote battery and an SD card inside of the X4 the can get unseated and cause the instant error message thats why wacking it usually fixes them. Also for some reason if you open them up, disconnect the screen ribbon and then reassemble it, will fix the error 99% of the time.

That is what I read before attempting to tap it on the desk (SD card comes unseated) and was happy to have it fix my handheld that literally failed within an hour of receiving it in the mail (it was used but that doesnt matter). Im super leery now when I attempt to flash the pcm in the car as I don't want it to fail halfway through the flash and **** my shit totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread