**UPDATED** Potential Problem! | Purple Mattress

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
So I pulled the trigger and ordered one of them Purple beds. Didn't go with the original, went with the new design which has a coil spring base topped with memory foam and then a 4-inch layer of their hyper-elastic polymer.

Had a high-end Serta dual (Top & Bottom) pillow top mattress for 18 years now and it has served us well, but it needs to be retired because she's pretty saggy.

Delivery of the new bed is scheduled for Monday. Can't wait to give it a try. Purple gives you a no hassle 100-day trial period. If you don't like it they come pick it back up and refund your money. Anyone else sleeping on a Purple mattress? You like it?

U.M.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Buddy has one - hates it. Apparently they are VERY firm and Purple wants you to take at least 60 days to "get used" to it.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I have the original and it is great for the money. It is firmer than I thought it would be, but it’s not THAT firm. My wife and I are not heavy, so I think we could have gotten away with something softer (like a newer purple).

If you go to a mattress store and lay on everything, I’d say it fits in the top end of mid-grade mattresses ($3k), but it’s priced like the cheap ones (mine (king) was $13XX with free sheets). That’s the best I can describe it.

Equalbracket

Established Member
I bought one and eventually returned it, great mattress tho but not for me it was too firm for me, lower back always hurt and I wasn't going to do 90 days of that. Pretty neat how its rolled up to ship, but not neat when you try to roll it back up and it's the size of a bridge pillar.

ssssnake

Established Member
It's funny. When I picked out my Serta, I thought I wanted a firm mattress. I tested all of them and decided I wanted a medium. I have lower back issues too.

FJohnny

Established Member
I'm also looking forward to your review of your new Purple when you have had a chance to properly test drive it. The wife and I are on a pretty dated bed and Purple have been advertising like crazy around here.

I can already tell without even trying it that it would be far better for those days you just fall into bed with a bunch of eggs tied to you. I hate when that happens now. I'll be really interested in the firmness report on your setup.

Please keep us posted. Good luck with your new purchase!

All the best.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Buddy has one - hates it. Apparently they are VERY firm and Purple wants you to take at least 60 days to "get used" to it.
Was it the original Purple bed? Reason I ask is because there's quite a big difference between the original Purple bed and the new Purple models. The all new Purple mattress starts with a typical coil base then there's a layer of memory foam on top of that. To finish it off there's either a 2, 3, or 4 inch layer of their special purple polymer on top. The original Purple mattress was just a memory foam base with a thin layer of the polymer.

I went with the Purple 4 because I'm a side sleeper and want a super soft top my fat ass can sink into.

U.M.

CV355

_
Established Member
Also interested in the outcome.

I paid $1800 for a super soft pillow-top Kingsdown mattress in 2008. That thing was like sleeping on a cloud. Now it is sagged and causes severe back pain. My wife and I were looking into the Purple but I have seen such mixed reviews

08mojo

Established Member
Purple gives you a no hassle 100-day trial period. If you don't like it they come pick it back up and refund your money.

Bill Burr advertises for Purple or one of the other online mattress firms with a similar process, he always reads this line of the ad and immediately responds with: "GROSS!" Hahaha, I tend to agree.

I'm curious to hear you impressions after you've had some time with the mattress. Ours is due for replacement before too long.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm also looking forward to your review of your new Purple when you have had a chance to properly test drive it. The wife and I are on a pretty dated bed and Purple have been advertising like crazy around here.

I can already tell without even trying it that it would be far better for those days you just fall into bed with a bunch of eggs tied to you. I hate when that happens now. I'll be really interested in the firmness report on your setup.

Please keep us posted. Good luck with your new purchase!

All the best.
Ever try to crush an egg lengthwise? Look how they are strapped on the guys back.

Me with a mop is like a frog riding a bicycle.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
No experience here with Purple but I’m always quick to recommend the Sleep Number. The wife and I love ours. We got the P5 that has a quilted pillow top between us and the air chambers. You want firm? Pump it up. Softer you say? Drop it down. Sure, it costs more than other mattresses, but well worth it when you’re spending almost a quarter of your life in bed. The only thing I’d change is I wish we had gotten the split tip and motorized base. But even without that it is still the most comfortable thing I’ve ever laid on.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Ever try to crush an egg lengthwise? Look how they are strapped on the guys back.
First off the egg test had no influence on my selection. However if you do look closely at those commercials the eggs are lengthwise at impact, but fold over when the weight hits. One of the main reasons I picked this mattress was for the airflow. I sleep hot which caused me to become a rotisserie in bed at night. I'm constantly rolling from one side to the other looking for a cool spot.

No experience here with Purple but I’m always quick to recommend the Sleep Number. The wife and I love ours. We got the P5 that has a quilted pillow top between us and the air chambers. You want firm? Pump it up. Softer you say? Drop it down. Sure, it costs more than other mattresses, but well worth it when you’re spending almost a quarter of your life in bed. The only thing I’d change is I wish we had gotten the split tip and motorized base. But even without that it is still the most comfortable thing I’ve ever laid on.
I've looked at the sleep number beds and I like them, but they are not recommended for "hot sleepers" like myself. It would be a different story if I could keep the nighttime temps in my bedroom at 68 or so year round. Unfortunately this is all but impossible in Alabama without spending $500 a month for A/C. Our house stays at 78 in the summer.

98slowbra

Established Member
First off the egg test had no influence on my selection. However if you do look closely at those commercials the eggs are lengthwise at impact, but fold over when the weight hits. One of the main reasons I picked this mattress was for the airflow. I sleep hot which caused me to become a rotisserie in bed at night. I'm constantly rolling from one side to the other looking for a cool spot.

I've looked at the sleep number beds and I like them, but they are not recommended for "hot sleepers" like myself. It would be a different story if I could keep the nighttime temps in my bedroom at 68 or so year round. Unfortunately this is all but impossible in Alabama without spending $500 a month for A/C. Our house stays at 78 in the summer.

I have had a king sleep number for years, and they now do make cool and warm things for them, I have had my sleep number for 10 years and with my 10 ruptured discs in my back I have had 0 issues with the sleep number. So much that I got both my daughters sleep number beds since they are heavy into sports. My daughters love the sleeps numbers also and it really does help. Next I want the sleep number 360 but I can not justify spending $12,000 on a king size bed. Our AC stays at 74 at our house and I still need a fan on me at night cause I can not sleep when I am hot either Uncle Meat. I like my sleep number, with 5 ruptured discs in my neck, 3 in the middle of my back and 2 in my lower back I get out of bed with little pain.

A little pricey at $850 but it will keep you cool
DualTemp™ Individual Layer | Sleep Number Site

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Established Member
*UPDATE* - Mattress was scheduled to be delivered Monday evening, but the company Purple contracts with for their white glove deliveries (Manna) messed up and the delivery has been rescheduled for tonight. So far I'm giving Purple and their sub-contractors a big C- when it comes to the ordering, processing, & shipping process.

U.M.

mjs1012

Established Member
I'm convinced all mattresses are the same and we just keep getting rebranded crap over and over again

To be honest, you're not too far off. I work in the mattress industry (on the marketing side to be exact) and the amount of garbage out there is insane. Most of the companies who are trying to sell a lower cost bed in a box mattress use cheap materials that either don't last long or won't give you the support you need depending on your sleep style.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

78? Holy Hell I'd melt. I'm a very hot sleeper. Have you looked at the Tempur-Pedic Supreme Breeze? I could never dream of going with a Tempur-Pedic because it was like sleeping in an oven but the Supreme Breeze is made to stay cool. I tried it out and it actually works. The bed stays cold as hell. It's a lot of money but I'm considering getting one after I move into my new house.

Users who are viewing this thread