Status
Not open for further replies.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Oil Separator Mod

Oil Separator

By SID297

It’s well known in the Lightning community that our beloved trucks have a small but nasty problem; they puke oil into the intake. To prevent the PCV system from coating your intercooler with oil I suggest this simple mod.

Step 1:

Gather all of your materials, such as: An oil separator (I suggest a Campbell Hausfeld #MP5138 which can be found at Wal-Mart), 2 male quick connect couplers (Such as the one found in a Campbell Hausfeld #MP2468 Coupler kit, which is available at Wal-Mart), 1 3/8 inch diameter heater hose with a 90 degree elbow molded into it (Available at any auto parts store), 1 3/8 inch vacuum connector (Vacu-Tite #47348, available at any auto parts store), 4 small hose clamps (available at any hardware store), and some Teflon tape.

Step 2:

Locate the insulated wrapped PCV tube that goes into the upper intake, and remove the insulation. Then carefully remove this tube. It just pulls apart.

DSC00882.JPG

DSC00883.JPG

Step 3:

Put some Teflon tape on the threads of the 2 quick connect couplers you’ll be using. I suggest using about 2 layers of the tape and leaving the first 2 threads exposed. Next screw the couplers into the separator. Do not over tighten it. Once this is completed insert the coupler into the rubber upper intake PCV boot using a small pipe clamp to hold it in place. Make sure the flow arrow on the separator is pointed toward the upper intake.

DSC00886.JPG

DSC00888.JPG

DSC00890.JPG

Step 4:

Now cut the vacuum coupler down to the 3/8-inch section and place it in the lower PCV tube. Use a pipe clamp to hold it in place. I suggest using a hacksaw to cut the vacuum coupler.

UPDATE: I had to use the above mentioned coupler because it was all I could find at the time. However, I have updated the parts list to show a new coupler that is avaliable. This new one does not need to be cut in order to fit.

DSC00894.JPG

Step 5:

The 3/8-inch radiator hose will have to be cut to fit the space between the vacuum coupler and the oil separator. I suggest cutting off only a small amount at a time. By doing this you can avoid ruining the hose by removing too much material. Once the hose is custom fit to the proper length, place it the vacuum coupler and the oil separator. Again use hose clamps to hold it in place.

DSC00895.JPG

DSC00896.JPG

Step 6:

Make sure everything is tight but not over tightened. I like to have the bolt heads on the hose clamps facing to the front of the vehicle so as to allow for easier access in the future. Also make sure that none of the components are in contact with one another so they won’t wear against each other.

DSC00940.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread