Unknown 302 converted to Boss 302 specs.

Recon

Established Member
Asking for a friend. I know the basics that a boss 302 is basically a 302 shortblock with 351 parts added to it. (If that’s incorrect I’d like to know)
So is there a kit that supplies basically everything you need for the conversion to work? Pricing it together is fine, but details on he parts would be appreciated. Any advice on where to find the info and parts would be appreciated. Car is a 69 Mach 1 with a 2 barrel 302 in it currently.

Pick your poison.

Established Member
Boss 302 block, crank and rods were lots stronger than a stock 302. Heads were basically 351C 4v with a modified water passage. And Cleveland 4V heads were a little too much for a 351, yet alone 302. Too big of an intake port and a funky exhaust port that only really flowed on the top side of the radius. You would need to source closed chamber heads, as they also had an open chamber version that would give up too much compression, and the 73-74 4V heads had a smaller valve. Intake is boss specific. Only reason I could see to fake one would be for looks, and I think you would be disappointed, because those motors needed lots of RPMs, and fuel. Make much more usable power with a set of AFRs, TW, or comparable heads and a stroker kit.

Recon

Established Member
This car is going to be strictly a show and street car, will never be raced. I made the suggestion to maybe juice up the 302 to Boss 302 specs. He’s adamant about keeping the engine in the car, and I doubt he wants some serious grunt with the car. He likes cars but is not into modding stuff. I don’t know what Gen 302 it is but it does have a 2 barrel on it. This is a 69 Mach 1 and this 302 is engine he wants to keep in it. Here’s the car:
cef3ccd193f58879b14c062b49f1305e.jpg

Pick your poison.

Users who are viewing this thread