Uneven ride height (right side higher than left) HELP!!!

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
Wow, glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. It definitely annoys the shit out of me too. I thought maybe a spring was bad ?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Still have yet to find a solution, searched a bunch of different forums and came up with nothing...

I don't see swapping the springs from side to side working. I had an Eibach pro kit before this and it did the same thing.

rjs281

Established Member
This very common on our cars. Most of the people i know have the same problem. The drivers side is always got your weight on the Suspension and that is my only theory. I have pulled mine apart a few times and nothing looks wrong. Coil-overs seems like the only fix.

MethosSVT

Established Member
I know this is an old thread but this might help someone. I had the same problem so I lifted the rear of the car and took the tires of, I noticed the springs were sitting differently. My guess is that one spring shifted due to a bump or a hard launch, so my advice is to check the position of the springs and then try to rotate them where they sit. Pretty sure that's the problem for a lot of us.

mcstang88

1LowGT
Established Member
I have the same problem. I have coil overs in the rear and have not installed the fronts yet. It's really annoying.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
IF the isos are the same all the way around, the springs in their perches then place the car on a flat surface and start measuring with a tape from the ground (preferably a chassis plate) and the bottom of the car. Like pinch welds, areas on the subframe that are the same from side to side. don't be too surprised it the car is off a 1/4 inch or so. the mustangs were a little flimsy and a lot of them are bent. You can see if a frame shop will straighten it then weld in some subframe connectors. I recently had a FOX body that I had to build 1/4 spacers to go under the left side of the car between the frame and k-member to straighten it out. (it was an old drag car).. Don't panic, they're all bent to some extent.
BTW one thing that will COMPLETELY screw up the chassis ride height is a panhard bar on the stock triangulated 4 link. you will be able to jack up one side of the car by adjusting on the Panhard bar...total cluster. The other thing is to make sure the rearend is dead nuts center in the car, Ford uses the mickey mouse upper control arms to center the rearend. So if those bushings are not as compliant as they should be then that will move the rear from one side to the other as well, aftermarket UCAs only make that problem worse, especially if they are not adjusted properly.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Is it possible for the spring mounts/perches to be bent? My car sat exactly like yours but it was because my springs were heated and one side was heated more so than the other. I replaced those springs with the eibach pro kit and it still sits a little off but not enough to notice unless you were looking for it.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
It was already brought up before but it's worth re-mentioning, try measuring the car with the sway bars disconnected, they can also pre load the springs.

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
It was already brought up before but it's worth re-mentioning, try measuring the car with the sway bars disconnected, they can also pre load the springs.

Do you mean the sway bar end links? I have had this problem for almost ever. I first noticed it when I replaced my stock springs with Eibachs. I checked the ride height and I was an honest solid 1/2" higher on the passenger side from front to back. When I replaced the Eibachs (which the front coils snapped) with Vogtland 1.6 springs I still have the 1/2" difference. I also just removed the front ISOs and I still have this problem. It is noticeable on the front more than the rear since I don't have any wheel spacers in the rear yet.

I have been told that this is common. Maybe an old school frame shop can figure it out. In the meantime I'll remove the front sway bar end links to see if that is the problem for the front. The back end is probably a different story. I hope somebody has figured this "phenomenon" out.

- Mark

The Dark Knight

Established Member
I had a similar problem, but mine was in the rear. One side sit slightly higher than the other even after swapping from BBK to H&R springs. Never really resolved it, but I haven't gone back and re-measured it to see if it was a simple settling in type issue. I'm going to put in a new set of upper and lower control arms and see if that changes anything...

02blownGT

Established Member
Has always been like this with our cars,the rear has always been my problem.I have ran drag springs,roush springs,Cut mach 1 springs and its always the same.Look at the bright side with a SRA its almost always off anyway because no place we park is ever perfectly flat.No one has ever noticed but me, but like the rest of you it has led to me changing springs several times.

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
By some miracle it fixed itself! When I was putting in some Bilstein struts I took out the front ISOs. I put a lot of old school bearing grease in the lower control arm indentations and on top of the springs where they contact the upper perch. When I put the front back together I still had the 1/2" height difference in the front and back. That was after driving on an old washboard country gravel road for about 2 miles.

After about a week of commuting I noticed that the Cobra was sitting near flat on both sides front and back. I measured both sides at the tops of the wheel wells and they are almost even-Steven (26.5" front and back), maybe a 1/16" higher on the passenger side. I haven't taken the time to measure all along the rocker panels but since the front and rear wheel wells are almost even I didn't go any farther with the measurements.

My guess is that I didn't have the spring pigtails correctly sitting in the lower control arms when I removed the ISOs. The 400 miles of driving probably let the pigtails slide into the proper positions in the lower control arms assisted with all of the grease I used as a lubricant and rust preventative.

When I previously kept the front ISOs on I probably didn't get the pigtails properly located in the lower control arms. I guess that the compressed rubber in the ISOs really hold the springs in place. It seems semi-odd that the front height affected the rear so much, especially since I didn't touch the rear springs but then again I struggled to get through Geometry and Physics. The only thing I did was to install the Bilstein shocks in the rear, I didn't mess with the rear springs or ISOs.

I guess I'm a happier camper for the moment (until something else breaks). Now I can order some decent rear wheel spacers without the car looking totally FUBAR.

- Mark

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread