Undercoating:. Leave it or remove it?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,

My 93 hatch has undercoating. What's your thoughts on this? Any negatives to leaving it?
097a5a113d55fbedd9f532f48fc068ae.jpg
17dc622dd17c55cf1c7dece7417f3d8d.jpg
745bf52ddd78e41bfddbfe3c17110023.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
How fresh is it? I know that's a clean car, but they didn't undercoat it to hide anything right?
It looks like it's been on there for quite awhile. But how do I honestly tell?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would totally want it off, BUT can you get it off, with out damaging the OEM finish underneath? I also shudder thinking how much work that might be.
You're right Andy. That would likely be one of those projects that has good intentions but ends up being an unwanted fiasco. I would think this through carefully before deciding to remove it.

If you DO decide to proceed, Brady, test a small out-of-the-way section.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
The way you care for your cars, I would remove it if not original to the car. But be prepared for the can of worms…

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I don't know what kind of undercoating you have on there Brady.

I had a rubberized coating on the bottom of my 65. It took me 3 days of laying on my back and using a torch to heat it up and scrape it off. Then I used a wire wheel to clean up the remaining residue.

That process took it down to bare metal. I didn't care because I was going to spray epoxy primer and then bed liner.

It looks great now, but is nowhere near original.

I know you have a lift, but it's a ton of work to get it off. And I'm not sure you can get it off without removing/damaging the original finish.

Good luck with the direction you choose to go in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You're right Andy. That would likely be one of those projects that has good intentions but ends up being an unwanted fiasco. I would think this through carefully before deciding to remove it.

If you DO decide to proceed, Brady, test a small out-of-the-way section.
The way you care for your cars, I would remove it if not original to the car. But be prepared for the can of worms…

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I don't know what kind of undercoating you have on there Brady.

I had a rubberized coating on the bottom of my 65. It took me 3 days of laying on my back and using a torch to heat it up and scrape it off. Then I used a wire wheel to clean up the remaining residue.

That process took it down to bare metal. I didn't care because I was going to spray epoxy primer and then bed liner.

It looks great now, but is nowhere near original.

I know you have a lift, but it's a ton of work to get it off. And I'm not sure you can get it off without removing/damaging the original finish.

Good luck with the direction you choose to go in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I've been looking at dry ice blasting. I'll have to do more research. But it looks promising.

PC03GT

Established Member
I've been looking at dry ice blasting. I'll have to do more research. But it looks promising.

That's what I was going to say, there's a video on YouTube by I Am Detailing where they do a 93 cobra

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good luck with that, Brady! You've never done it before, and those guys in the video are professionals. You'd better really know what you're doing before you start messing with dry ice. IMO there is NO WAY I'd attempt something like that. I would, though, consider having a professional service like that one do it. Consider, too, all the prep that would be needed to protect areas that you wouldn't want to blast with the dry ice spray.

As already stated, be prepared for the can of worms!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Good luck with that, Brady! You've never done it before, and those guys in the video are professionals. You'd better really know what you're doing before you start messing with dry ice. IMO there is NO WAY I'd attempt something like that. I would, though, consider having a professional service like that one do it. Consider, too, all the prep that would be needed to protect areas that you wouldn't want to blast with the dry ice spray.

As already stated, be prepared for the can of worms!
It would be professional done. I wouldn't attempt it myself.

Chances are I'll leave it alone.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's smart. Well, if you leave the undercarriage as is, at least you know another option that you can turn to should you need it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, that much? I would imagine the operator has to wear safety gear to protect exposed skin. Dry ice is nasty. Ask me how I know.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
FWIW, I think the dry ice machines, are something like $10k+, so not likely a DIY.
That's the machines. There are places that will do it. That's how I would go about it. I'll likely leave it alone.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I could see you more doing it to your '65 Mustang (if it was needed).

How many miles on your '93 Fox, Brady? And is that factory undercoating?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I think a ton of Foxbody cars had that done at the dealer. Zeibart was a thing around here:
Brady did you have an original window sticker or Marti report? Would be interested to see if undercoating is on the Window sticker.
Interesting that the Pacifica Hybrid I spec’d at the dealer had the option of PPF on some body areas. No undercoating option tho.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread