• Undercoating

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who TF cares its under the car

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

96dreamer

Established Member
Long story short I started my fuel system and now I'm in the process of prep/ painting the under carriage from about the lower control arm mounts back. I'm planning on using majic enamel tractor truck and implement paint from Farm and Home with hardener and reducer sprayed through an hvlp gun. The thing I'm kind of hung up on is the color. The factory e coating is a off white/ gray that makes the underside a little brighter and the majic paint comes in a ford light gray which is a relatively close match. The other option is a matte or gloss black because it's easy to touch up and the engine bay is already black. I haven't had good luck with rubberized undercoating's and bed liner products. They seem to always hide the corrosion while allowing it to spread underneath. I actually already bought the light gray but had second thoughts while I was under it cleaning this afternoon.

96dreamer

Established Member
Black unless you plan on some sort of factory resto effort later.
This thing is so far from stock it would never make sense to try and restore it.

My main worry with black is it failing again and the factory e coating blatantly showing though. I admittedly did not prep it correctly last time and just rattle canned it so I wasn't helping myself any.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Flat or matte version of what ever the body color is.

96dreamer

Established Member
Flat or matte version of what ever the body color is.
That crossed my mind but it is currently Nissan Daytona Blue that came on the 350z's. I love it but I'm not sure it will stay that color forever cause the paint is pretty rough around the edges.

I went and returned the ford light gray and got some gloss black. Started prepping last night. Probably going to take the better part of a week to finish the prep before painting. So much for a quick weekend long fuel system install.

amorrow

Established Member
Not to derail as sounds like you’ve decided against the Ford light gray, but is that a specific color/brand and a good match to the factory greenish-gray color?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I'd use your lighter gray color. If you have a fluid leak it would be way easier to find/follow to the source than it would with a black.

gtmustang00

Established Member
I would use the oem color. My 98 yellow car is yellow/green underneath.... not the e coat gray/tan/bodycolor overspray like my 03 cobra/04 mach 1 is. Mine is original with 10k miles.

96dreamer

Established Member
Not to derail as sounds like you’ve decided against the Ford light gray, but is that a specific color/brand and a good match to the factory greenish-gray color?
It's certainly not a perfect match but it looked close for what was offered in store. It is actually a match for the ford tractors made in the 70s

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I brushed matte black POR 15 on the underside of my 98. My car is factory black so the contrast is subtle. I'm happy with it.

Sent from my SM-S215DL using Tapatalk

DaveWertz

Established Member
I brushed matte black POR 15 on the underside of my 98. My car is factory black so the contrast is subtle. I'm happy with it.

Sent from my SM-S215DL using Tapatalk
I used POR-15 on my OBS Powerstroke back in the day on the frame. WOW that stuff is awesome. I wish I would have wore gloves though, I had POR on my hands for months after..

Users who are viewing this thread