Un-ported Eaton- 552/585

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
We were shocked today when the Un-ported Eaton combo on my car produced 552rwhp and 585rwtq. It's far from a stock motor but we really expected the little Eaton to choke the motor way more than it did. Funny thing is this was a very conservative tune and there is a lot more left in it.

Here are some details:
5.0L stroker, teksid block with stage 3 blower cams
Longtubes, 2.5" catless exhaust and 2 chamber flow masters
Straight axle rear with 3.55 gears, weld draglights and MT drag radials
Engine temp was 200 degrees and IAT was 145-160 (yikes!)

2.76" billet flow upper pulley, metco 2lb lower and billetflow idlers
Un-ported stock throttle body and plenum
JLT RAI
Commanding 16 degrees of timing, 93 pump gas
Metco tensioner brace
Showed 14 psi peak, dropping to 10 by 6500rpm
T56 trans and McLeod RXT twin disk clutch

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
More details on the engine. Who's cams and what kind of compression?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Damn, that's pretty impressive. That things making some serious heat

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
Thanks. No track times with the Eaton since it was only on the car for a couple months. Now there is a 2.3 whipple on it with a 2lb lower and a 2.76 upper. It made 671/721 but will make more once I fix a couple small things that need to be addressed.

And for those that asked, it does still have A/C, power steering and all accessories.

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
The Eaton numbers were on 93.
The whipple numbers were on C16

With vacuum line re-routing on the whipple, my new complete 4.5" inlet and air meter, and fixing the exhaust that was pinched down to 1.5" (or less) on one side, I expect it will make over 700. Time will tell though..

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Not bad! Its amazing what a few basic mods will do for these cars! A few of my buddies have setups almost identical to yours. Cant go wrong with a proven formula! It'll rip.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Nice job Joe! A shame you threw that Whipple on there and didn't get a chance to get that setup DEEP into the 10's.

A few folks have done well getting their Eaton setups into the mid 500's RWHP. With your cubic inches, compression ratio, and cams, countered by conservative timing, non-ported blower, and some IAT2 heat (depending on how tune is set up for it...), you're pretty darn close to where you should be. If you could of addressed that last three factors, you would of had one of the higher Eaton RWHP numbers recorded without nitrous/E85.

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
Thanks! Hearing that, I do kind of wish I had maximized the Eaton first. I believe I could have gotten to ~580ish whp, but well never know now...it was a hoot with the Eaton for sure! However, it's a different animal with the whipple.
I just got the last of the parts I need to wrap up the loose ends before hitting the Dyno again.....then to the track before winter. I'm hoping to run at least 2 tenths faster in the 1/8 than the previous car (just sold the other car) to be more competitive in the stick class I race in locally.....

MG0h3

Established Member
Nice man. What boost are you seeing? And that sounds like the Crusher inlet? Necks down to accufab TB or?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting update. 742/802 is really impressive. A big leap above your old Eaton setup, as good as it was.

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
It's the standard inlet. It jumps to 21 lbs but drops to 16-17 ish by 7000; however, the power never really drops. It makes peak power at ~5200 and holds over 730whp all the way to 7k where we let out. It's a 5.0 stroker with 10.5:1 cr and cams. There does not appear to be any belt slip....it just seems the bigger engine "consumes" the boost at higher rpm. I've had higher power cars previously but this one is my favorite....the hit is instant and I have not gotten used to or bored with it. I prefer the smaller stuff turned up....

Users who are viewing this thread