Ugly

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
Am I the only one who is looking forward to the new design? I know they have not released a confirmed picture of it yet but I dig the Evo prototype looks, so if its similar to that, ill be happy. So long as it comes with a V8 option.

No I think it could be terrific. Especially setting the goal even higher to out BMW the BMW. They did it the hard way with the Boss put some more modern engineering on the new car and they can really brag. Like I have said a twin turbo V6 would be very cool.

The Mustang is an American muscle car, not a European sports car. We don't want smooth curves and fancy features. WE WANT A MOTHER EFFIN MUSCLE CAR DAMMIT!! If you want a BMW, go buy a damn BMW; don't bitch because the Mustang can't compete with one. If Ford wants to compete in a different class of cars then they should build a different car for that class and not tarnish it's image once again with a repeat of the Mustang II.

JBR87

Established Member
The Mustang is an American muscle car, not a European sports car. We don't want smooth curves and fancy features. WE WANT A MOTHER EFFIN MUSCLE CAR DAMMIT!! If you want a BMW, go buy a damn BMW; don't bitch because the Mustang can't compete with one. If Ford wants to compete in a different class of cars then they should build a different car for that class and not tarnish it's image once again with a repeat of the Mustang II.

If you look at the progression of the mustang over the years it really has been turning more and more into a sports car. In fact it's probably the sportiest its ever been and at the current platforms limit of "sportiness". It really only makes sense that it becomes a world class sports car. I really believe they can do this while still being able to stay true to the big power practicality of a muscle car.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
If you look at the progression of the mustang over the years it really has been turning more and more into a sports car. In fact it's probably the sportiest its ever been and at the current platforms limit of "sportiness". It really only makes sense that it becomes a world class sports car. I really believe they can do this while still being able to stay true to the big power practicality of a muscle car.

Sure, I'll agree with the fact that they have become more sporty over the years (although I think the new edge models were sportier looking than the s197) however it always retained a uniqueness of being a sporty American muscle car. You could never have looked at a Mustang in the past and though "hmm I wonder if that's a new BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc.". No, muscle cars are unique in their styling: bigger, badder and more raw than a European sports car. Don't get me wrong, I do love BMWs and such, but I don't ever want to see my Mustangs look like one.

I will say this though: if they do decide to ruin the Mustang they sure as hell better plan on bringing the Falcon over from Australia to at least make up for it a little!

908ssp

Established Member
The Mustang is not and was not a MUSCLE CAR. It was a pony car and except for a couple years in the early 70s small light and agile were as important as the big engine.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
The Mustang is not and was not a MUSCLE CAR. It was a pony car and except for a couple years in the early 70s small light and agile were as important as the big engine.

Well let's not get technical now...

My point still stands.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Terrible . Here we go mustang II. Looks like the new 5.0s will hold their value

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
:rollseyes What does a "real" mustang look like then?

like this

mustang-2.jpg

:banana::banana:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
like this

mustang-2.jpg

:banana::banana:

So all the different mustang body styles we have had over the decades didn't look like "real" mustangs? Fox body, SN-95, new edge, he'll even the S197 is a far cry from the 60's body styles and that includes 11-12 gt.

But they all did exist in REAL life so what does that make them? Mustangs, that's what they were. It's called progression.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i read two things here. mitsu evo's and subaru sti's and those kind of cars that own the younger demo's of performance cars. the age demos on the current mustang so the typical s197 chassis mustang buyer is over 50 years old.

thats #1.

#2. you did hear about the new 54mpg cafe standards for 2025 that are being phased in and will effect the mustang starting in 2015. if mustang sells like it did from 2005 to 2013, they have to get better gas mileage. enter the ecoboost twin turbo 6 as the base mustang gt motor.

next season a version of that will be the power plant in the daytona prototype ford powered cars.

i expect v8 cars will be available in specialty cars like a mach 1 or a boss or the shelby. but that is where it stops.

if you think mustang is going to have a hard time with the new mileage standards, just consider what the camaro will go thru and the challenger is already dead. to be replaced by something new at SRT called barracuda

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
So all the different mustang body styles we have had over the decades didn't look like "real" mustangs? Fox body, SN-95, new edge, he'll even the S197 is a far cry from the 60's body styles and that includes 11-12 gt.

But they all did exist in REAL life so what does that make them? Mustangs, that's what they were. It's called progression.

The picture I posted was of a Mustang II :poke:

Zacharyx

Established Member
I can deal with the ecoboost but the IRS is not what I was hoping for

Overboost.

Established Member
Don't count on it looking like an Evos clone. I think it'll look more like the S197 in profile than people think. You might notice some cues, like body lines or that hood shape (which seems to be showing up on all the new Ford models), but it won't be a clone of that.

908ssp

Established Member
Too many of you guys have fantasy ideas of what cars were like back in the 60s. I was there most were crap compared to today's cars. I wouldn't drive a 60s Mustang today a Taurus will run circles around it hell a Fusion is probably faster certainly faster than the common straight 6 Mustang.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
The smaller engine Mustangs always outsell the v8's. It sucks, but Ford makes way more money and sells way more base Mustangs than GT's. As much as we hate it, we're still the minority.
As far as trying to make the Mustang a competitor to BMW, there's no way in hell Ford is gonna try that. That's not a race they're gonna win, just like BMW isn't trying to build anything to compete with Mustangs. I don't really care if Ford puts a 1.6 liter in the base Mustang, as long as there's still a high-powered option like a GT500.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The smaller engine Mustangs always outsell the v8's. It sucks, but Ford makes way more money and sells way more base Mustangs than GT's. As much as we hate it, we're still the minority.
As far as trying to make the Mustang a competitor to BMW, there's no way in hell Ford is gonna try that. That's not a race they're gonna win, just like BMW isn't trying to build anything to compete with Mustangs. I don't really care if Ford puts a 1.6 liter in the base Mustang, as long as there's still a high-powered option like a GT500.

Performance wise the 11-13 GT puts up a really good fight against the M3, and then there is the Boss. Now for a total package the M3 is certainly the better car but still, in the numbers the mustang is a competitor.

Users who are viewing this thread