Ugh. Possible bad rod bearing...

tjcase85

Established Member
I bought the car with 22k miles on it about 2 years ago. I noticed a slight exhaust tick when I bought it. Me thinking that it was an exhaust leak, went ahead and got a lethal off road H and lund tune. The tick got much louder. I figured it was another exhaust leak. Had a few friends listen to it and they said the same thing, that it sounds like an exhaust leak. Now at 48k it's getting louder and all the videos that I have seen have said it was their rod bearing going bad. They said it ticked for 30k miles before it knocked. I have an appt. With the dealer next Wednesday. Should I return it to stock before taking it in? Just an h pipe and tune on it. This seems to be a common problem with these 5.0s. Doesn't seem too hard to change a rod bearing honestly. Drop the K member and pull the pan. Any suggestions? I can post a video if needed.

2013 GT with 48k miles on the clock. Still.in warranty.... zero oil consumption.

Recon

Established Member
No point in returning it to stock. They can see if the PCM has been flashed, and it WILL show it.

basspro302

Established Member
The only way the would know is if the non continuous monitors havent ran like evap, cats etc. If you can get the monotors to run then the only way the would know is to send the pcm to ford. We dont plug in the scan tool and it says tuned or anything lol. I have had cars that have had tunes and i didnt know untill i asked because of a drivability issue. Anyways im not condoning it just facts. Some places are ok with others are not good luck.

tjcase85

Established Member

Here's a video by the way. My stock H pipe is junk, come to find out. No putting the cats back on. I'm hoping for the best but may have to tear it down myself.

ghig50

Established Member
Sounds like exhaust leak in the video. Hard to tell foe sure in the video

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Silbult14

Established Member
I bought the car with 22k miles on it about 2 years ago. I noticed a slight exhaust tick when I bought it. Me thinking that it was an exhaust leak, went ahead and got a lethal off road H and lund tune. The tick got much louder. I figured it was another exhaust leak. Had a few friends listen to it and they said the same thing, that it sounds like an exhaust leak. Now at 48k it's getting louder and all the videos that I have seen have said it was their rod bearing going bad. They said it ticked for 30k miles before it knocked. I have an appt. With the dealer next Wednesday. Should I return it to stock before taking it in? Just an h pipe and tune on it. This seems to be a common problem with these 5.0s. Doesn't seem too hard to change a rod bearing honestly. Drop the K member and pull the pan. Any suggestions? I can post a video if needed.

2013 GT with 48k miles on the clock. Still.in warranty.... zero oil consumption.
There is a tool for cutting the oil filter in half that dosen't create metal filings. It works like a oversize tubing cutter. You can buy one from Summit, Jegs etc. Most good machine shops that do performance/ race engines should have one too. Open the filter and look for copper or aluminum bearing material. If you find some that's a good indication of a failed bearing. If you have a real oil pressure gauge and it's showing lower pressure now then it did when you bought the car that's also a good indication, but it's not foolproof. Last year I had a failed rod bearing in a small block Mopar and two more bearings with excess wear and the oil pressure was still good and unchanged. This is a lot faster, cheaper and easier than digging into the engine right away.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Hard to tell from video. Have you taken off your serpentine belt and started the engine? That will at least narrow it down to engine, it could be the belt or a bad idler. Best of luck.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

tjcase85

Established Member

Got time to get under the car tonight. Drivers side is making the noise. 46k miles... stock until 40k.

Papyote

Sounds like a lifter "last adjuster noise!! Have you noticed the noise getting louder at a specific rpm, Like around 3k rpm? I have the same noise coming from the passenger side. Sound like an exhaust leak but it gets louder at around 3000 RPM. I'm not sure what it is. it's really aggravating, I just want to rev the s*** out of it until blows up lol..

tjcase85

Established Member
Sounds like a lifter "last adjuster noise!! Have you noticed the noise getting louder at a specific rpm, Like around 3k rpm? I have the same noise coming from the passenger side. Sound like an exhaust leak but it gets louder at around 3000 RPM. I'm not sure what it is. it's really aggravating, I just want to rev the s*** out of it until blows up lol..

Mine gets louder each rev, which made me think exhaust leak. But now, it sounds like it's coming from the block and resonating out if the exhaust. I'm thinking a scuffed rod bearing. Probably number 5, because that seems to be which one fails.

nxhappy

Established Member
rod bearing would be a easy check ....drain the oil. If you see metal, you are ****ed. Usually ticking is either exhaust leak or noise from up top, like a lifter. Rods/bearings/pistons will make a louder knocking sound. Or like marbles in a can.

tjcase85

Established Member
rod bearing would be a easy check ....drain the oil. If you see metal, you are ****ed. Usually ticking is either exhaust leak or noise from up top, like a lifter. Rods/bearings/pistons will make a louder knocking sound. Or like marbles in a can.

Could I hear the noise up top? From under the hood the car is quiet. Passenger side around exhaust is quiet.
I mean it could be a possible gasket on the stock manifold, but I didn't see anything leaking. Had a smoke test done about 6 months ago with no leaks as well. (It's been doing this for about a year now) no loss in performance. Just embarrassing.

nxhappy

Established Member
compression test is needed for engine condition. if it was a lifter you would be able to hear it from the valve cover. If it was a rod or bearing or piston you would probably have metal in the oil and the motor wouldn't last long at all.

tjcase85

Established Member
Am I wasting my time going to the dealer? How long will it take before they figure it out and figure out if it's under warranty? Do they have to tear it down and send off the computer? I'll be doing a compression check this weekend.

tjcase85

Established Member
It's not an exhaust leak. Smoked or tonight. Coming from number 5. Pretty sure it's a worn rod bearing as it seems alot of 5.0s have had this problem

tjcase85

Established Member
Pulled both belts tonight. Noise still there. Not the tsb.. blah. Top of motor is stupid quiet. Bottom noisy. Almost sounds like a tick and chirp..

Holovacko

Established Member
Coyote motors having a tick, is a common issue. Especially if you have a converter in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

luker669

Established Member
My f150 coyote has been ticking for atleast 80,000 miles but it hasn’t gotten any worse !

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread