Ugh.. need a 4 door truck...

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I can see where you're coming from, but that was the exact reason i liked the Silverado so much. I test drove an old 2012 ecoboost and it drove like i would expect a big truck to; soft, floaty, vague... i understand they do it for comfort, but i want some damn precision. Fast forward to the 15+ F-150s and their response is pretty sharp, same as the Silverado we test drove. I like a responsive vehicle.

Very odd.

I had a 2012 F-150 5.0. Truck was very sharp. Great brakes, good power and most importantly GREAT handling. It felt SOLID.

I also test drove a 12' V8 Silverado. Good power but felt awful. "Vague, soft, floaty" to be exact.

Dave M

Established Member
I just bought a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie last month, couldn't resist with the 13k off of sticker FCA is offering, and I got the Hemi, 3.92 rear, Alpine stereo with nav, heated/cooled leather seats, and on and on... Paid $39k for it, sticker was $52k. I love it so far, and it's surprisingly quick with the 3.92's and the 8-speed auto.

Voltwings

Established Member
Very odd.

I had a 2012 F-150 5.0. Truck was very sharp. Great brakes, good power and most importantly GREAT handling. It felt SOLID.

I also test drove a 12' V8 Silverado. Good power but felt awful. "Vague, soft, floaty" to be exact.

The one i drove was used, so it very well may have just had a hard life, but it was a night and day difference between the 12 and 17.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The one i drove was used, so it very well may have just had a hard life, but it was a night and day difference between the 12 and 17.

I know the new F150s are greatly improved over the previous gen. Maybe chevy did the same?

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I'm biased...

Attachments

• Blue Side.jpg
    Blue Side.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Blue Front.jpg
    Blue Front.jpg
    972.3 KB · Views: 115

Never_Enough

Established Member
Pop quiz:

Which of these 4 truck models is the only one that has never been assembled outside of the U.S.?

A) Dodge Ram
B) Chevy Silverado
C) Ford F series
D) Toyota Tundra

:p
We're aware some Yotas are made here, but it's still a foreign brand is the point...

BRNG ITT

Established Member
We're aware some Yotas are made here, but it's still a foreign brand is the point...

So would you think it ironic to see an American flag flying on a truck made in Mexico by an Italian owned company?

Just curious.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
Nissan Frontier, mid sized, cheap, tons of aftermarket support. I love my truck.

You can get in to a left over 17 right now for $18-20k

0037a2a776a59aa6a61f8a3b7220908b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
2017 Colorado here in Z71 trim with the Duramax engine option. 37.5 OTD with a GM 5 year/100k extended warranty. 8,600 miles on it so far and it has been flawless. As of today my average mpg is 29.2. Its very slow but works for a daily driver/tow pig.

If i could do it again id probably go for a ZR2 trim level though. Saw one the other day and it looks really cool. Shocks are like butter too. I think it would be about 10k more though over my Z71 package which is pretty steep.

_Snake_

Established Member
2017 Colorado here in Z71 trim with the Duramax engine option. 37.5 OTD with a GM 5 year/100k extended warranty. 8,600 miles on it so far and it has been flawless. As of today my average mpg is 29.2. Its very slow but works for a daily driver/tow pig.

If i could do it again id probably go for a ZR2 trim level though. Saw one the other day and it looks really cool. Shocks are like butter too. I think it would be about 10k more though over my Z71 package which is pretty steep.

Can you get the ZR2 with the Duramax? For some reason I thought it wasn’t an option.

_Snake_

Established Member
Yes, you can get the Duramax with the ZR2. Would make for a nice DD that can hit some bumps and pull decent mpg.

Nice! I’ve actually been pretty impressed with that platform, which is saying a lot coming from a former lifted diesel owner.

Blown 89

Established Member
My wife and I have been looking for trucks for about a year now and to be honest the F-150 is the best option by a country mile.

I'll throw this out there.....we just bought a low mile 2015 QX80. It's luxurious as ****, seats 7 very comfortably (I'm 6'6 and find the 3rd row comfortable), it has 4wd, and it tows more than my 2012 Dodge hemi. We put down an amount down in your range and our payment is 460 a month. The only downside is no truck bed and it's not the best looking car on the road.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Dang the ZR2 is friggin expensive.

Yeah, OTD for me with the options i wanted and a Duramax engine would have put the ZR2 at more than 45k. Also it can only tow 5,000lbs versus the Z71 at 7,700lbs. An article on GM Authority states that due to the front grille, bumper, shocks and springs the reduced cooling capacity and spring rates allows only a 5,000lb tow rating in the ZR2.

So for me it was the increased towing ability over offroad capability. Still a very capable truck offroad. I do wish the e-lockers were optional on the Z71 like they are standard on the ZR2. The G80 is a nice locker but i have heard it is brittle if rocking back and forth on the trail.

Anyways, great truck and you wont be disappointed when you drive it. Has way more oomph than the horsepower rating leads you to believe.

byeofcr

Established Member
thanks guys.. yea still juat tryna get excited about a truck. lol but the need outweighs the want. i wont miss fighting to get them in the car seats in the mustang thats for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread