Typical gains from ported heads ?

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
I have a built motor with stage 3 cams posi race port long tubes on e85 , im making 570/525 now , I just broke my crank so im pulling the motor and im considering porting my heads , what are the usual gains from something like a MMR stage 3 port , they want $1050 to do the work ,or does somebody else do a better job

oldmodman

Established Member
My answer is...it depends.

If you are at a much higher horsepower level, and are willing to put up with long tube headers then it might be worth getting your heads ported. The higher your boost level, the greater the gains.

And as to where to get the heads ported? I just don't know.

Good reports have been posted about Livernois, Fox Lake, Modular Headshop, Total Engine Airflow, and many more.

I have written to both of the hard core tech Mustang magazines to try to talk them into doing an article on head porting but I doubt that they will ever do it.
It would require many sets of heads, sending them out to be ported, a really stout engine, a dyno room for several days, and imagine all the labor to pull and replace heads, over and over.

101blur

Established Member
I'm far from your level of gains but im interested in the gains from there port work as-well some day I will be there. on there website shows gains of 25-45hp witch is a slot but I need to see some dyno vid's and and what mods..? either way im sure gains are to be had.

GodStang

Established Member
Low mod car 25-35 big boost car 35+ depending on a lot. Fox lake, MHS, livernois, then MMR

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
Heads

Low mod car 25-35 big boost car 35+ depending on a lot. Fox lake, MHS, livernois, then MMR
first thanks for the info , as I posted im running a posi race port with 2.76 upper and 4lb.lower , makes 17lbs. , im going back to stock crank pulley and cage with a 2.65 upper so im looking to pick up a little extra hp since im gonna lose a couple lbs. Of boost ditching the 4lb. Lower , if I could pick up 25-30 wheel I would be happy , plus im gonna get new valves and a good valve job

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'm currently doing a build with a 5.0 Boss Big Bore block and I'm still not doing any porting on the cylinder heads. I'm going to run a ported Eaton first and then some type of twin screw. Not sure yet but I have a 2.3 Whipple that's been sitting here for a couple years now. To me it just doesn't seem worth it at 700hp or lower.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
I'm currently doing a build with a 5.0 Boss Big Bore block and I'm still not doing any porting on the cylinder heads. I'm going to run a ported Eaton first and then some type of twin screw. Not sure yet but I have a 2.3 Whipple that's been sitting here for a couple years now. To me it just doesn't seem worth it at 700hp or lower.

I dont see why horsepower would have anything to do with a decision to port heads, I have ran a 3.4 whipple and made 770hp and kenne bell 2.2 at 605hp, and now your race port blower with cams e85 and nos making 570/525 & 705/823 , and I must say even though I loved the whipple and kenne bell I like the drivebility of my current setup. I have stage 3 cams and a built motor so I plan to rev my motor to 7k once I get it back together. imo , I think ported heads with definetly make a significant gain above 5k, and if I could get 600rwhp with your blower I would be very happy even though I know others have done it . I mean honestly you dont think it will pull extremelny hard making possibly an additional 25-35 whp up top !!! You know I have no plans of going back to a big blower , it became an addiction for power and between belt slip issues and dyno time and I know when my whipple locked up thats what did the damage on my crank I am happy with the eaton and spray. I know to each his own and some may think its not necessary to port heads with my hp level, but the fact is I will make gains in hp and since im sticking with the eaton I think my car will be noticely faster up top and I definetly dont think it to be a waste of money

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Good luck and please let me know how the car does.

Maybe it's just because Brian (not Posi Performance) owns the car and I don't have the money either lol.

Typically what's always preeched is we don't need ported heads until 700hp or so. I've never seen anyone prove that wrong so whose to say it won't do exactly what you are saying it will. Go for it and see how it does.:beer: Be sure and let me know if you can.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
^Good luck and please let me know how the car does.

Maybe it's just because Brian (not Posi Performance) owns the car and I don't have the money either lol.

Typically what's always preeched is we don't need ported heads until 700hp or so. I've never seen anyone prove that wrong so whose to say it won't do exactly what you are saying it will. Go for it and see how it does.:beer: Be sure and let me know if you can.

I will I promise ! and I am not doing anything else to the car except rev it a little higher so I will see actual gains on the dyno , im excited to see how it turns out , should be about 4 weeks to get done,
Btw -fox lake will be porting the heads talked to them today

Last edited:

50q's

Established Member
i personally would bump the compression when I ported the heads. especially with e85 in your area I would run no less than 12.5 to 1 compression if not 13 to 1. Dan Schoneck is running 12.5 to 1 and with E77 or so he made 1400hp+ on an F2. I say port the heads and bump the guts out of the compression.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
i personally would bump the compression when I ported the heads. especially with e85 in your area I would run no less than 12.5 to 1 compression if not 13 to 1. Dan Schoneck is running 12.5 to 1 and with E77 or so he made 1400hp+ on an F2. I say port the heads and bump the guts out of the compression.

I don't know where you came up with those compression numbers for Dan's car but, it was at 10:1. Here is a link to where he says it, and also its in MM&FF.http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/817015-1290rwhp-blower-5-4-a.html

Users who are viewing this thread