Two piece rotors available for S-197 Mustangs

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Full Tilt Boogie Racing is pleased to announce our latest design in reduced weight and improved looks, 2 pc front and rear rotors for 2007-2011 GT500's, all S-197 Mustangs 2005 + with GT500 front brakes or the 2011+ Brembo brake upgrade. These rotors have Hardcoated aluminum hats with plated grade 8 attaching hardware. The rotors are directionally vaned, slotted, stress relieved and clear zinc plated for a nice lasting appearance. Front rotor pair sells for $675.00 plus freight. Rear rotor pair sells for $595.00 plus freight.

Replacement rotor rings are as follows:

14" Fronts: Stress Relieved Rings only; $188.00 each, add $15.50 each for slotting and $10.00 each for clear zinc plating.

11.8" Rears: Rings only; $100.00 each, add $15.00 each for slotting and $10.00 each for clear zinc plating.

Shelby GT500/S-197 14" front 2 pc rotor weight:

s197frontweight.jpg

Backside of front rotor:

s197frontbackside1.jpg

This is the weight of the front OEM rotor:

oemgt500rotorwtny5.jpg

Shelby GT500/S-197 GT rear 2 pc rotor weight:

s197rearweight.jpg

Backside of rear rotor:

s197rearbackside.jpg

This is the weight of the rear OEM rotor:

s197rearoemrotorweight.jpg

The weight savings are as follows:

Front OEM rotor 25.32# each. Our rotors 19.8# for a weight savings of 5.52# each and a total front weight savings of 11.04# for the pair. This is a typical weight savings you find in a pair of lighweight wheels that cost considerably more than what these rotors cost. So with the addition of a pair of lightweight wheels you could easily remove 20-30# of unsprung parasitic rotating mass off of the heavy front end of a Mustang. These front rotors are well suited for high performance street and drag strip use.

The rear OEM rotor weighs 13# each. Our rotors weigh 10.56# for a weight savings of 2.44# each and a total rear weight savings of 4.88# for the pair. Rear rotors are suited for all applications even open track and road racing. Complete sets are available right now for immediate delivery.

ROAD RACE VERSION:

We've finally received our newest addition to our rotor line. The heavy duty road race version of our S-197 14" front 2pc rotors.

These rotors are actually heavier walled than the OEM Brembos. The braking faces on these new rotors average .367" thick with a center air gap of .515". The Brembos have average braking face thickness of .335" and air gap of .585". Our rotors are directionally vaned and will pump more cooling air than the non-directional OEM Brembos.

Here is a photo of the front of the rotor showing the rotor weight of 23.88# a 1.44# weight savings over the 25.32# OEM Brembo. Total weight savings for two rotors would be 2.88#.
s19714inchfronthdwt.jpg

Photo of the rotor pair:
s19714inchfronthdpair.jpg

Photo of the back side of the rotor:
s19714inchfronthdbacksi.jpg

And finally a thickness and air gap side by side comparison of the OEM brembo and the FTBR road race HD version.
s19714inchfronthdcompar.jpg

These rotor assemblies along with the replacement rings will be priced the same as our S-197 front lightweight street/strip rotors described at the top of the post.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone may have!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
nice, but ouch on price

Just as an FYI to you a set of front Brembo floaters will run you in the neighborhood of $1,500.00 a pair. ;-) Plus the Brembo floaters will not save you nearly the weight our street/strip pair does. Of course the Brembos are more heavy duty and built for racing.

Most people don't need the extra expense and cost of a floater and that is why we offer these two piece bolt together versions.

When I get my new Boss we will also be offering these rotors in floating versions as well, but cost will go up slightly.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Please excuse the noobish question but whats the benefit of a 2 piece rotor minus the slight weight savings? Just seems like a possible failure point to me.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Please excuse the noobish question but whats the benefit of a 2 piece rotor minus the slight weight savings?

The weight savings IS the benefit. Anyone that is performance oriented will look for ways to reduce weight. And the most important and beneficial weight to reduce is unsprung weight and rotating mass. That is why people spend $300-$2,000 and more per wheel to reduce their E.T. slips or lap times. It's VERY important weight to reduce. This doesn't matter if you're a drag racer or a road racer. Weight reduction is your friend and weight is the enemy.

Just seems like a possible failure point to me.

Actually quite the opposite is true. Cast iron is a very unforgiving material. If you've ever seen cast iron rotor failures from excessive loads on spindles and hubs, it can be pretty ugly. The rotor can develop circumferential stress cracks that, if not caught early enough, can crack the rotor ring right off of the rotor hub. The aluminum hat eliminates that type of a failure.

Hope that helps.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
nice, but ouch on price

thats cheap! I just paid $1600 for front/rear 2 piece race rotors.

unspring weight and rotational mass is lost with a 2 piece rotor in most cases, not to mention the cooling benefits which WILL make your rotors AND pads last longer, will help prevent warping from excess heat, etc.... there is a long list of the benefits of 2 piece rotors.

Last edited:

cobra1718

Established Member
thats cheap! I just paid $1600 for front/rear 2 piece race rotors.

unspring weight and rotational mass is lost with a 2 piece rotor in most cases, not to mention the cooling benefits which WILL make your rotors AND pads last longer, will help prevent warping from excess heat, etc.... there is a long list of the benefits of 2 piece rotors.
wow is has been a long time since I have bought new rotors. thanks for the reply

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
wow is has been a long time since I have bought new rotors. thanks for the reply

I believe the 14" front Brembo replacement rotors from the Ford parts counter list for $177 each. (Actually that price is amost a year old) No clue what they are today.

FYI

Users who are viewing this thread