Two Christmas kills.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Drove my Cobra to Fla. from NC for the Christmas holidays. I was on 431 going south out of Eufala, AL. The road is rural 4-lane with a 65 mph speed limit. There are a few traffic lights before you get into Dothan, AL. I come up to a light and a white early 70's Chevelle is sitting in the right lane so I drop down in the left lane and pull up door handle to door handle. We are the only cars in sight. I look over and he's not looking so I guess he's not willing to test me out. About that time he romped it a little and popped the clutch. I'm thinking he wants to run. When the light changes I let it out and it's apparent before I get into second he's not going to run but he's stays close after I let off the throttle. I pull into the right lane ahead of him and we get caught at another light. This time he pulls into the left lane. I look over and his girlfriend is laughing at me but the dude is not looking. I was just going to blow it off until the light changes it and he nails it hard. He pulled a good car length before I launched and I looked over and his girlfriend is really laughing and bouncing up in the seat. By the time I get to the top of first, my front bumper is past his door handle and his girlfriend is no longer smiling and turns around looking at her boyfriend. When I hit second it broke loose and I let off just a little and when I hook up I blow right by him and his girlfriend has the stupid look on her face. By the time I'm to 80 he's a good 4-5 car lengths back and he stays in it until he's had enough and he backs off and stays about 10 cars back until I get into Dothan. I know some of the earlier Chevelles will run, but I think this guy just really doesn't know anything about newer Mustangs.

The second kill was a '94 Cobra. He turns out in front of me on a four lane road. I can tell it had exhaust. It was red with chrome Cobra R's. I wasn't sure of the model year at the time. It sounded bad as hell. I was sitting behind him at a red light in the left lane. He was first in line and there were a few cars in the right lane. I throw a rev and it echoes off the buildings and he revs back. This was my first time to run another Cobra and probably one of less than ten I've ever run into. Most all I've run into are older guys and we just admire each others car. When the light changes he rolls off pretty good but doesn't nail it so I pull down into the right lane and pull up beside him. That's when he nails it hard. He pulls about a car pretty quick and I'm still in first so I hit it and by the time I'm well into second I drive right on by. I let off and he pulls up beside me and gives me a thumbs up and goes on by me. I flashed my lights and caught up with him. I hollered at him and asked if he was a 32 valve and he said yes. I motioned for him to pull over and talk. I wanted to see if this was a real Cobra since I took him fairly easily. He was a young dude. He must have misunderstood me when I asked about the engine. It was a real '94 Cobra with a 5.0, headers and Magnaflows. He said his gear was stock and that it was a 3.07. He really liked my car and it was the first 32V he ever saw. He was a really nice fella and we talked about an hour.

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Good Kills. I, too, have had a couple of "musclecars" ('70/1 Monte Carlo, '72 Chevelle, '72 Cutlass), probably all 350s, underestimate a 32V Mustang :-D.

I love the '94/5 snakes, but it'll take a bit more than headers, exhaust and 3.08s to keep up with a four-cam Cobra...

Keep those stories coming!

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Just something about saying "32 valves" that makes me crack a smile. Good kills!

Mikie2001GT

The Ghost with the Most !
Established Member
Yellow Horse ,
First off................. Sweet Kills ;)

Secondly , You ought to be ashamed of yourself with those times in your sig. With those mods on that car , you should be mid-low 8s in the 1/8th mile. Sounds like you need a decent track to run on and with that 60' some tires wouldnt hurt either :D

Lastly , A chance to improve your times....
GR8WHITE and myself along with about 25 other stangs (a few Cobras) are heading to Darlington Dragway in SC to run the 1/4 mile next sunday Jan 13th. It is the first test-n-tune of the new season and if it dont snow then we are gonna have a blast.
email me or reply if you are interested and I will fill you in with the details.

Thats one sweet ride you got there ;)

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Mikie, thanks for the comments. I tried to e-mail you from your profile but it wouldn't let me. I won't be able to get down there this weekend but I'd sure like to go sometime around March though. I'll try to get in touch with you around then and we can hook up. I've got two or three buddies that run with me so we will all come down there. I'd sure like to try a 1/4 mile track. The only 1/4 mile track I know of in my area is in Bristol, TN.

I know my times are bad. That's why I put the note in about the 1200 rpm launch. That's really a little more than I'm actually lauching. I basically start off at idle. The first night I went to the track it was really packed and I had to wait in line 45 minutes to run. First time ever on a track. I was pumped because everyone got up to see what a new Cobra would run. I launched at 4500 rpm. I've read about wheel hop but I guess I didn't really know just how bad it was. I never really ripped my car before that night. It bounced so bad the tires were making big thumping noises like a T-Rex was on my ass. It actually hurt my neck. Unfortunatley before I could make another run that night, a boy on a bike got killed and they closed the track. My next time at the track I launched about like I do when I'm showing my butt at a traffic light. I've read a lot and I think I know what to do next time. I need about a 3000 rpm launch and ease out on the clutch and then ram the throttle. I know the numbers will come up then. I hope to make some suspension mods also. I still have the stock shocks so I'll probably do them first along with some bushings.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Well you're pulling 83 mph in the 1/8th so you're making the power to go LOW 8's. You just need some traction and practice launching the IRS. Also with the 4:10's I don't think jaming it too soon is a good idea. With my 3:73's in my 97 SC Cobra it would break them up too. If I squeezed it kind of quick it would hook better.
It'd be nice if you could make it this Sunday, but I understand how it goes. We still have the rest of the season to go!:burnout: You can always get me here. That way Mike and I can be ready for you and show you around a little. :D

Users who are viewing this thread