Twin turbo in 03 mustang v6

03StangBabe

Established Member
Hello All,
This is my first try at this site. Before I get slammed for this thread, please note, I did not order this kit, my husband did! He's downrange and ordered a Twin Turbo Kit for his 03 Mustang V6 3.8L. I swear if i hear, 'why didnt he just do an engine swap,etc?' again I will go insane,lol!

Unfortunately, the kit did not come with a manifold and downpipe so I am stuck with finding a way to get a custom manifold for said Mustang.

Is there anyone out there that's done this with theirs and if so, how/where did they get the manifold done at? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!! I've been looking all over the web and around town(in South Carolina currently) for it, and no ones really knowing of a guy or place to do it. Maybe Ft.Riley,KS will have more options but we'll see!

Currently I have a Cold Air Intake and 65MM Throttle Body under the hood only. I know I need to get larger injectors, but not sure what size, so if anyone knows that answer too, I'd greatly appreciate it! Im hoping to get all this done by the time he comes home from Iraq in a few months, its an ongoing project with maintaining this car and making it better!

greenflash00

Established Member
Talk to Justin @ VMP ....I believe I recall him building a turbo v6 setup quite a few years back and ended up running 10's with it. It's been a long time ago but he might be able to direct you to something or fabricate one for you.

03StangBabe

Established Member
Alrighty, thanks! I appreciate the info! I originally asked if you had their number but I found an email address instead, sweet! :)

Last edited:

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
U can take ur stock headers and flip them around driver to passenger side etc. And turn the around so they are facing the front. U will need to modify the new passenger side header as it will hit ur motor mount. Def goto v6power.net they are a great group. And keep at it I love my built v6!!

03StangBabe

Established Member
Thanks, ya'll are great! Im waiting for my email to activate my account on V6Power.net, seems to be taking a while!
Im keeping it a V6, no point in changing over after all this I'm effort I've done keeping it up. I just need to find someone that can modify the header for me. I emailed Justin from VMP but maybe I'll get a reply next week!

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
OP said not to mention about motor swaps but I'm curious what the thinking behind that is? The stock v6 can make as much power as a stock 4.6 gt when boosted :)

03StangBabe

Established Member
Heh, its all good, I hear it all the time, my brother had an 03 Cobra and was like wtf was he thinking?
:) But Murph, you're right and thats what we told him, still got crazy looks but whatever, it's always a work in progress! Especially between deployments, keeps me occupied!

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
have you ever researched an 01 cobra swap? A stock motor will have much better street manners than a turbo v6 motor on the edge of its life...

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
I'd like to know why you decided to get Twin Turbo's instead of swapping to a 4V motor as well. At the end of the day swapping motors is ALOT easier. I can understand if he wanted something different and stands out of course.

pwrshft99

Established Member
Alot of diesel truck shops will do custom tube bending... not sure what turbo kit your running but the cheapest way might be to remote mount the turbos. Basically the turbo would replace the muffler. Its far from the ideal setup but could be a bit easier to fabricate.

03StangBabe

Established Member
Me personally, I would have swapped but my husband wanted something that is "unique and different" as you'd say. He's wanting to keep it V6 and boost everything up to the max which I have a gut instinct that a week after he gets home from Iraq he's gonna blow the engine, butttt that's him and not me! But I will be royally pissed if he does so!

Pwrshft99-Thanks, I'll keep that in mind while I keep looking around for someone!

I had looked around for motor swaps, me and my father in law had talked about going to a few areas to see what was available but the hubby said NO! lol
And Below are the details that I have for a fact, came off the website.

T3/T4 internal wastegate turbo
Intake: 3 inch
Inlet: 2 inch
Compressor trim:
Compressor Wheel diameter: 54.28 /71.32
Turbine Wheel diameter: 55.79 /63.36 Exhaust Trim: .63ar
Turbine flange type: T3 flange
Down pipe flange type: 2.5 v band
Actuator setting : 8 psi
Cooling type: oil cool only
Horsepower rating: 325-350 ( total of 700 hp max)

Let me know if ya want any other info, thanks for all the inputs!

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
Well welcome to the site and good luck!
We don't see too many Stang Turbo V6 builds on here.
Be sure to post pictures of your build process.

spike_africa

Established Member
Nothing wrong with a turbo v6. Built a friends turbo 94 and made 413rwhp on 18psi with a junkyard 00 v6 motor we swapped in. Runs fast as hell.

You will need 42# injectors and a new maf. Checkout justin at VMPtuning.com and get his 75mm maf housing and upgrade to the new 05+ maf for better tuning.

03StangBabe

Established Member
Thanks Spike! I just ordered my injectors and probably ordering the new NAF housing,etc in the morning. So happy to finally have some definite answers and opinions. Was checking out VMP a while back but wasnt sure what exactly to get. All of ya'll are great for helping me! :)

Users who are viewing this thread