Twin Turbo 5.0 Build

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
If I were to go with having 700rwhp on this particular motor I would not be trying to make 93 octane work in my opinion. Easy insurance. Sure it may cost you a descent amount more to drive the car with a better fuel but that is still cheaper than replacing internals or a whole engine.
Just my opinion for what its worth

KenB

Established Member
Hmm, so even with 10psi and a newer motor that deals with cooling better than previous motors it would still be an issue on 93? Not doubting you at all, I guess I just thought it's be different by now...

Not sure why it would be different in a good way. Ford isn't building these for boost and this is the highest compression GT engine they have ever put out, by a large margin. We should all be very happy they are taking the boost they are.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

D.T.R

Established Member
There are a few cars here in Dallas making great numbers and still staying together. There's a 3.6 KB car making 872/740 through the stock auto/stock converter. Stock motor.

It's nice to see others making big power with stock internals. :thumbsup:

Question is, for how long though?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Any pics or vids of that beast?
Here is when it was making 761/657. Hasn't been to the track since he turned it up.
mannyburnout.jpg

mannylaunch.jpg

mannymotor.jpg

[youtube_browser]hkzjBxvoI2w[/youtube_browser]

Question is, for how long though?
We will just have to find out.

D.T.R

Established Member
Here is when it was making 761/657. Hasn't been to the track since he turned it up.
mannyburnout.jpg

mannylaunch.jpg

mannymotor.jpg

[youtube_browser]hkzjBxvoI2w[/youtube_browser]

We will just have to find out.

is it on stock suspension?
looks like a beast :rockon: :beer:

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
I'll be interested to see what is safe (psi and octane) when a lower comp built motor is thrown into the mix. This build is amazing and I hope it makes it to market.

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
Really nice guys, really nice. Love the look and love how you can obtain that power with a quiet exhaust setup (meaning keeping the stock CB on). The more I see about these 5.0's the more I am swinging away from getting another Cobra.

KenB

Established Member
Here's how I see it at this point, but this may change. That's why we are doing so much testing and will be doing beta cars for more testing.

I'll probably recommend:

Stock Engine
6-8 psi on 93 octane. Should make 600+
10-12 psi on race/E85 Should make 700+

Built Engine
Lots of boost and tons of power:rockon:

The idea on doing all these tests is so we can give you real answers. Remember, Jon and I are tuners first, so we are concerned on how the car runs as a package and not just creating a nice kit and saying "let me know how the tuning works out".

I'm sure there will be people that go well above my listed recommendations with no issue. And those recommendations might change after more testing.

But you also need to look at it another way, leave boost out of it. It doesn't matter how much boost you can run on 93, it matters how much power. Our setup is obviously making much more power at lower boost numbers than most other options.

So I think a good limit on 93 is high 500's/600 rwhp regardless of the power adder on these engines.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Not sure why it would be different in a good way. Ford isn't building these for boost and this is the highest compression GT engine they have ever put out, by a large margin. We should all be very happy they are taking the boost they are.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Well it's definitely the highest static compression factory engine, I guess I assumed with the cams changing constantly the dynamic compression would be the same if not lower as previous years.

Talking strictly from a power output, regardless of boost or power adder, then I see what you're saying with around the 600rwhp being the limit for 93. Thanks for all of your input, love every minute of this build..

Cuco5.0

Established Member
Here's how I see it at this point, but this may change. That's why we are doing so much testing and will be doing beta cars for more testing.

I'll probably recommend:

Stock Engine
6-8 psi on 93 octane. Should make 600+
10-12 psi on race/E85 Should make 700+

Built Engine
Lots of boost and tons of power:rockon:

The idea on doing all these tests is so we can give you real answers. Remember, Jon and I are tuners first, so we are concerned on how the car runs as a package and not just creating a nice kit and saying "let me know how the tuning works out".

I'm sure there will be people that go well above my listed recommendations with no issue. And those recommendations might change after more testing.

But you also need to look at it another way, leave boost out of it. It doesn't matter how much boost you can run on 93, it matters how much power. Our setup is obviously making much more power at lower boost numbers than most other options.

So I think a good limit on 93 is high 500's/600 rwhp regardless of the power adder on these engines.

Keep me posted on the need for Beta cars. I am local and have a shop build going that would absolutely love this kit.

collibr1

Established Member
I wouldn't either on a stock engine.

Here is the graph for 10 psi from this morning.

10psitwin.jpg

Question for you. On the graph you posted it looks as though the turbos take off around 3200rpm. With smaller turbos could you get it to kick in around 2200-2500rpm? I would not really be worried about losing max psi with the turbos as I would want 8psi max anyways.

KenB

Established Member
Question for you. On the graph you posted it looks as though the turbos take off around 3200rpm. With smaller turbos could you get it to kick in around 2200-2500rpm? I would not really be worried about losing max psi with the turbos as I would want 8psi max anyways.

You could but it will kill power up top, even on 8psi. Trust me, they spool up perfect. Look at the graph again and compare it to most other dyno graphs. You can't even really pick out a point for the spool. it looks more like a Big Block NA graph that a turbo car.

KenB

Established Member
Plus if you just wanted earlier spool, ball bearing turbos would be a better option than going smaller. But I don't think the cost of the Ball bearing upgrade is really worth it. But we will eventually test that too.

KenB

Established Member
Do you think a 6-speed would perform about the same as far as spool and launching at the track?

No, it should be much better especially if you use a 2 step. That is compared to a stock converter auto. With an aftermarket converter, they should both do pretty well.

I have also tuned the quickest manual turbo car and it cut 1.5 60's on about 10 psi, slicks and a 2 step. He was using the Hellion kit with 76mm turbo.

Dave_6

Established Member
No, it should be much better especially if you use a 2 step. That is compared to a stock converter auto. With an aftermarket converter, they should both do pretty well.

I have also tuned the quickest manual turbo car and it cut 1.5 60's on about 10 psi, slicks and a 2 step. He was using the Hellion kit with 76mm turbo.

Is this a Coyote? What did it run?

KenB

Established Member
Is this a Coyote? What did it run?

Here's a video
2011 Hellion manual trans 10.59@130 - YouTube

And what's a "2 step?" Is that line dancing?

LOL, watch the video and you will see. A 2 step is a second lower rev limiter. When it's active the car will only rev to that RPM. So if you want to launch at 4,000, you set the 2 step to 4,000 push the clutch in and floor it. It will hold 4,000 RPM just like a rev limiter works (with spark). Then when you launch, 2 step turns off and you will see full RPM.

Users who are viewing this thread