LetsBoost

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new to this website. I'm looking to boost my 01 Cobra, and am currently looking at twin turbo set ups. I don't know TOO much about twin turbos, but I'm guessing they have more than 9 lbs of boost. What do I need to do to my engine before installing them? It's the stock engine with 94k miles and a JLT 120mm air filter.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
You need to do some research on your own here. I tend to come off like a dick a lot but I'm not trying to be. If you don't understand how "boost" works on a turbo setup you need to do some reading.

A turbo kit will make as much boost as the turbo can possibly can (limited by how much it can flow) you would use a wastegate to control the amount of boost you want.

There is no real advantage to twin turbo over single turbo, either way both kits will require tubular front suspension, a return fuel system, clutch/trans upgrades along with beefing up that whimpy 28 spline IRS.

Your stock engine if sound can safely make sub 500rwhp with a good tune on it. Building the engine can help you go beyond that you'd have to decide then how far to go.

All in you'll be looking at writing anywhere from 15-25k for a properly sorted tuned turbo setup.

Zemedici

Established Member
You need to do some research on your own here. I tend to come off like a dick a lot but I'm not trying to be. If you don't understand how "boost" works on a turbo setup you need to do some reading.

A turbo kit will make as much boost as the turbo can possibly can (limited by how much it can flow) you would use a wastegate to control the amount of boost you want.

There is no real advantage to twin turbo over single turbo, either way both kits will require tubular front suspension, a return fuel system, clutch/trans upgrades along with beefing up that whimpy 28 spline IRS.

Your stock engine if sound can safely make sub 500rwhp with a good tune on it. Building the engine can help you go beyond that you'd have to decide then how far to go.

All in you'll be looking at writing anywhere from 15-25k for a properly sorted tuned turbo setup.

This man said it all.

If I were you I would build the motor first, it seems excessive to install a twin turbo kit only to make 450whp. Much cheaper ways to make that power.

However, if you built the motor then the sky's the limit. Know what I mean?

decipha

Established Member
im on the other side of the spectrum, get the turbos in and functional, work out all the bugs then get ANOTHER block and build an engine, once youve got it together do a quick swap and sell off your presumably good engine you have now, you can even let someone ride in the car before you sell it off so they can be well assured its a good engine, or even keep it as a back up and build it?

trust me on this, i see it all to often folks try to do too many things all at once and the project is halted due to either waiting on parts, fabbing things, money burdens, time constraints, you name it

since you seem a little new to the performance scene read this pre tuning link, it will give you all the information youll ever need and basically tells you how to design an engine

http://efidynotuning.com/pre.htm

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
His 01 has a 31 spline rear , not a whimpy 28 spline,that was 99 .
I do not see any reason to build an engine , as long as his is healthy , and like said , many people take this advise , and never see the car finished .
That is not so bad for me ,I buy those dead projects , and finish them and resell them , making a profit .
But I do hate the pain the original owner feels , once they have them torn down , and see no end in sight .

LetsBoost

So how do I "Build an engine" I know I need forged pistons and rods but I have NO idea where to buy them. I've tried looking them up but could only find one kind and it had no reviews on it and thought "Better safe than sorry" and decided not to try and get them. I would love to build my engine.

When I was planning on putting a Kenne Bell SC in the car, I read that I need to build my engine, but I can not find the forged rods or pistons. Have any links?

I want to know exactly what I need in order to put Twin turbos on the car. I'm just looking to go around 600whp and am not entirely sure what could get me there? I know that the engine by itself will not get there so I'm looking at boosting options.

I would much rather put a supercharger on a muscle car, but I've read Turbos are better with power and the Twin Turbo kit was only $1k more so I though "Why not"?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
So how do I "Build an engine" I know I need forged pistons and rods but I have NO idea where to buy them. I've tried looking them up but could only find one kind and it had no reviews on it and thought "Better safe than sorry" and decided not to try and get them. I would love to build my engine.

When I was planning on putting a Kenne Bell SC in the car, I read that I need to build my engine, but I can not find the forged rods or pistons. Have any links?

I want to know exactly what I need in order to put Twin turbos on the car. I'm just looking to go around 600whp and am not entirely sure what could get me there? I know that the engine by itself will not get there so I'm looking at boosting options.

I would much rather put a supercharger on a muscle car, but I've read Turbos are better with power and the Twin Turbo kit was only $1k more so I though "Why not"?

There are hundreds of speed shops that will sell you stuff. The easy part is finding the parts, the hard part is finding a machine shop that is worth a shit.

There are also hundreds of threads on here about people building their engines and what worked and what didn't. You need to dive into the forums you can also look at modularfords.com there are several indepth builds over there including Joe (I think his sn is JRGOFFIN).

Turbo kits will be thousands more than a simple small centri supercharger. The cheapest and easiest option to get quick power would be to find a used vortech/procharger.

nxhappy

Established Member
get a vortech v2 kit. WAY cheaper in the long run. Small pulley on it, you can hit 500whp. And you won't have to build the motor.

KzooMuscle

Established Member
SC is much simpler and easier on the wallet. Rock that while you do some research on building a motor. No point in getting waist deep into a project like a turbo and engine build before knowing what to do/get and how it will work.

Users who are viewing this thread