twin or single turbo??

dart454twinturb

Established Member
Looking to get opinions. I am currently building my car up and was wondering what everyone recommends. Go with a big single turbo or smaller twin turbos. This will be a street car that may occasionally see the track. Wondering what will be the better setup. Thanks

s351

Established Member
Depends what your after. Single turbo = less things that can go wrong, a little set of twins will have less lag. Also what's your budget like that is the main question first? are you staying with a t-56, or swapping to an auto? What fuel? how much power you looking for?

Venomous 03

Established Member
Usually it comes down to this.
Price friendly
Single>twins
Lag friendly
Twins>single
Power friendly
Twins>single
Looks
Twins>single

s351

Established Member
^^^ we need to here his budget first and what current mods he has, fuel system, clutch, input shaft etc. If your planning for 10k think 15-20k if your going all brand new.

dart454twinturb

Established Member
Current list of mods

Fully built rearend
35 spline axles
C clip eliminators
Cobra brakes
Full spool
Moser rearend cover with cap studs

Trans is a fully built th400 with trans brake

Engine is built shortblock with all arp hardware
Billet I beam rods
Forged diamond Pistons
10.5:1 comp arp head studs
Ported and polished heads
Springs, retainers, valves all upgraded
Bullet ground cams
Sullivan intake

Fuel system is a lethal 1400hp return fuel system. Gonna be running e85

s351

Established Member
Sounds like your pretty much ready to rock. If I was on e85 with ur setup I'd go twin 62mm precisions, or a cg fab single with a precision 76mm and let it eat, only issue with your setup is ur Sullivan intake is gonna make ur car lame as a street car, unless u spin it too the moon.

s351

Established Member
If its primarily a steer car ditch the sullivan, for a 99/01 cobra intake or mach1 intake, they are much better for a street car. Sullivan's = looks and dyno queens

dart454twinturb

Established Member
I like the looks of the Sullivan better and I have heard that thesullivan intakes are setup nice too. They have short runner intake ports. A lot have told me that to get the right cobra intake it would need to have the runners shortened and ported and polished.

D-MANN

Established Member
If you want more mid range power stick with the long runner cobra intake. If not shorten polish cobra intake or get a Sullivan.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Borg S475 T6. Ditch the Sullivan and go with a cut Cobra intake. Your cams will probably hurt you if they are s/c cams, I'd suggest having a new set ground or going back to 98 cams. The rest sounds great. The higher compression will really help with the spool, make sure to match your intake and cams to help. A mash up of "cool parts" will make the car a dog on the street. Optimize your combo.

s351

Established Member
That solves the cam issue, just do a search on sullivan intakes or watch dyno videos on them, they are great for peak hp but give up a ton of mid range. As you say your building a street car that intake isn't going to be that fun on the street, as stated a stock 99/01 cobra or mach1 intake, or get a short runner version of these made, but both these options are better for a street car. If your shifting at 8000rmps get the sullivan, because a stock 01 intake will out perform the sullivan till 6500.

Last edited:

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
cams are not stock they are custom ground bullet turbo cams.
I don't understand how you have custom ground cams but don't know anything about the profile of your turbo setup. So it's just a generic turbo grind? All I was saying was that if the cams aren't designed to work with the setup they will hurt spool. Just make sure all the parts are meant to work together.

s351

Established Member
What are you looking for hwy pulls or more of quick hit/ throttle response? Are you keeping ac or a sway bar?

s351

Established Member
Ok, so your kinda along the lines of a drag car, I mean an 88 is gonna take a bit to spool, maybe twin 62's I mean your gonna be 1000+ rwhp so as a street car traction is gonna be the issue.

dart454twinturb

Established Member
Yeah I know it may be overkill for the street but that's what I am building the car for. Want it to be a beast on the street and I am aiming for that 1000 hp mark

Users who are viewing this thread