TVS Oil Change

Imatk

Established Member
After reading several threads about when or IF you should change your TVS supercharger oil I decided I would go ahead and do it since I bought my supercharger used and really had no way of knowing how it was driven, or how many miles were on the blower.

I haven't seen one of these on here so I figured I'd do a writeup.

The first step is to put some rags underneath your supercharger below the fill bolt. I used paper towels because I figured they would be the most absorbent... and they worked perfectly, I didn't have to do any cleanup afterwards.
TVSOil_6.jpg

The second step was to open loosen and take out the fill bolt at the front of the supercharger.

It takes an allen key to open it. I tried using just a simple allen key, but that sucker was on there very tight so I went to a socket head hex

TVSOil_2.jpg

Once I broke the bolt loose fluid started to run out of the fill hole... that's where the rags come in handy.

TVSOil_d.jpg

Some fluid will run out, but to get all of the fluid you need to use a syringe with some plastic tubing. I picked mine up at Amazon when I bought the fluid.

TVSOil_1.jpg

Insert the tubing into the fill hole and pull back on the plunger.

TVSOil_d2.jpg

At first you don't have to have the tubing in very far to pull the fluid out. But eventually you'll need to push the tubing in far enough that it hits the bottom of the reservoir. You basically push forward and turn the hose with your fingers until it starts going downward then keep pushing until you hit the bottom.

Once there keep suctioning. It took me about 5 or so syringes worth before I got nothing but air. Keep going until you don't get any more fluid out.

TVSOil_e.jpg

As you can see my fluid was pretty dirty. When it's new it's almost completely clear. Mine was dark brown and smelled awful.

TVSOil_g.jpg

TVSOil_f.jpg

From the state the fluid was in, I was VERY happy that I decided to change it. My car has just under 30k miles on it so with the additional mileage the blower had on it before I'm guessing it was nearing 45-50k miles at this point.

To fill the supercharger is actually a lot easier than to drain it.

You'll need two 4oz bottles of fluid. Apparently GM fluid is the exact same stuff but I bought Ford stuff because I'm probably just anal.
TVSOil_3.jpg

Approximately 6oz is what you'll need to fill the supercharger back up.

The bottles come with a little nozzle that you can use to squeeze the fluid back in. You just need to cut the tip and you're ready to go

Insert the tip into the fill hole on the supercharger and squeeze the bottle. The first bottle will go in completely.

Before you start your second bottle, get the fill bolt ready to put back in. I put mine right on top of the blower so I could grab it and insert it quickly.

The second bottle you need to watch because at some point the supercharger will be full.

Once it is, fluid will leak back out. When that happens grab your bolt, and tighten it up and you're good to go.

This is how much was left of the second bottle for my blower... I have the original FRPP version for the 07-09 GT500.

TVSOil_h.jpg

As you can see in the bottle the fluid is nearly clear.

Tighten up the bolt, you don't have to man-handle it... just make it good and snug. Start up the car and watch for any leaks.

I ran my car around the block a few times just listening for noises or any oddness.

That's it, good luck!

Imatk

Established Member
No problem guys, hope it helps. It's really not too difficult, it's a lot like changing transmission fluid except for the suctioning part :)

ForeverDrivin

Established Member
CHECK YOUR MANUFACTURER SPECS. I know this is a dead threat but for anyone looking at this thread for reference about how much oil a TVS supercharger takes, you DO NOT FILL IT TO THE FILL PLUG in most cases. For instance, VMP 2.3l TVS units will not reach the fill plug with 6oz. You will overfill in this instance. Manufacturers have specs that generally fall in-between 5-6oz ONLY and the fill plug is not a good reference.

Imatk

Established Member
This is probably... neither here nor there.

When you open the unit to change the oil, the oil flows out.

So there's enough in the blower that it comes out... meaning that when you fill it back it's going to run out.

Unless you are somehow perfect with putting the bolt back into the blower before .1 oz of fluid runs out then you're not going to get an "exact" measurement.

So I'll stand by my previous instruction. Also I've been running the same blower in the same car since this was written (in 2016) with absolutely no issue.

Also this isn't a VMP TVS which has a different design. So yeah if you're doing this on VMP I wouls suggest calling them and asking what the proper amount should be.

ForeverDrivin

Established Member
This is probably... neither here nor there.

When you open the unit to change the oil, the oil flows out.

So there's enough in the blower that it comes out... meaning that when you fill it back it's going to run out.

Unless you are somehow perfect with putting the bolt back into the blower before .1 oz of fluid runs out then you're not going to get an "exact" measurement.

So I'll stand by my previous instruction. Also I've been running the same blower in the same car since this was written (in 2016) with absolutely no issue.

Also this isn't a VMP TVS which has a different design. So yeah if you're doing this on VMP I wouls suggest calling them and asking what the proper amount should be.

TVS blowers are mostly all the same, especially since they mostly come from Eaton with minor changes from specific manufacturers. I only comment this because you do not specify the exact supercharger brand in your title. I've never had oil come out of any of my VMP units when I open the oil plug. In fact you can normally barely see the oil. Both VMP and Roush make it clear you should not fill their TVS units to the plug.

Who really knows how important this all is but for the sake of how much money a supercharger normally is, might as well make sure people are safe about it.

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
Actually I did specify

I have the original FRPP version for the 07-09 GT500.

And on mine the oil did come out as soon as I unscrewed the fill screw... as I also described in the original post.

Users who are viewing this thread