Tvs iat2

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
So I just installed my TVS, gt500 tb, 3.0 pulley on 91gas.

I haven't got it tuned yet, but regardless, my iat2 temps like to sit at 120-130 degrees regardless of outside temp. Seen it there at 69, 80,91,107 IAT1's and it still sits there in the mid 120's. Pump is flowing strong from the visuals of the stock resivior. 40 percent coolant/ 60 percent water. I cleaned the fins of the intercooler with brake clean and an air hose. I replaced the IAT 2 temp sensor just in case. I haven't gotten on it really yet because I am not tuned, but I've noticed if I do push it like 5 psi when getting on the freeway the temps drop quickly 2-4 degrees. I have a dual pass H/E with electric fans. Any help would be appreciated!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I think thats pretty dang good for no real cooling mods. A 10 degree split from IAT 1 to IAT 2 is good. The H/E fans aren't helping any while driving. Only way to get the temp down further is to make your current system more effective by boxing in the H/E & Radiator. If you want any lower temps look into getting a Killer Chiller.

Get your car tuned, do not get into boost until you get it tuned.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
One thing to check is to make sure the boost bypass is working correctly. I have an expansion tank and after market heat exchanger and see 30 to 40 above ambient when cruising.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Thankyou guys for the tips. Troy, what do you consider a major cooling mod? Maybe I should have also added I have a reische thermostat and the ldc cooling mod. I know there is so much more data to take in once I'm finally able to drive the car and see how it cools in different loads, but being the worry wart that I am, I just don't think it's a good sign that is wants to settle directly in the 120-130 range indiscriminately to IAT1 temps. Something just seems off.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

03 deadpool

Established Member
Had a similar problem and changed sensor twice. First sensor was a advance auto parts sensor and IAT temps were all over ,added a real ford sensor and now they are slightly higher than the outside temp.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Just cruising on the highway at 70 ~ 80 mph I see IAT2s of around 135F. Unless it's a cold night out like in the 50s then cruising on the highway I'll see low 100s. Playing around with the throttle driving aggressively I'm seeing 140s and 150s constantly. When hammering back to back runs over and over I've seen 170s to 190s.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Cooler days like in the 50's my iat2's (charge temp) will stay around the 100 mark until I start driving more aggressive. Then it's 105-115 range. Warmer days like in the 70's I'm usually 115-122 range.

What I noticed which sucks is after I pulled into a parking lot (shut car off) to talk to some friends for about 20-30 minutes, upon starting it back up my iat2's were much higher like 133 or so. City driving for about 5 minutes it came back down to 122 or so, but never much cooler as it was before I shut the car off. I'm sure if I drove on the highway at 60 mph it would have dropped more.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
I think my temps are lower then most because I live 20 minutes outside of the city, so almost all my driving is above 55 mph. I never drive my car if I know I am going down town and need to do stop and go driving.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Bdubbs that is EXACTLY how my car temps are while driving and after letting the car sit. It makes me feel better knowing that you are experiencing the same thing since we have the same blower. I got the temps to drop about 5-8 degrees yesterday. I don't know what happened exactly but I pressurized the system 5 times and rapidly released the pressure. An air bubble seemed to come up from the bottom h/e hose. Then for shits and giggles I put the system in a vacuum with a make shift cap and our shop oil sucker. I now settle in the 117 range for now!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Bdubbs that is EXACTLY how my car temps are while driving and after letting the car sit. It makes me feel better knowing that you are experiencing the same thing since we have the same blower. I got the temps to drop about 5-8 degrees yesterday. I don't know what happened exactly but I pressurized the system 5 times and rapidly released the pressure. An air bubble seemed to come up from the bottom h/e hose. Then for shits and giggles I put the system in a vacuum with a make shift cap and our shop oil sucker. I now settle in the 117 range for now!

Cool. And in all honesty the tvs runs about the same (heat wise) as my eaton with a 2.8 upper did. My iat2's are basically the same.

racebronco2

Established Member
Cooler days like in the 50's my iat2's (charge temp) will stay around the 100 mark until I start driving more aggressive. Then it's 105-115 range. Warmer days like in the 70's I'm usually 115-122 range.

What I noticed which sucks is after I pulled into a parking lot (shut car off) to talk to some friends for about 20-30 minutes, upon starting it back up my iat2's were much higher like 133 or so. City driving for about 5 minutes it came back down to 122 or so, but never much cooler as it was before I shut the car off. I'm sure if I drove on the highway at 60 mph it would have dropped more.

Other members have reported that the sensors gets heat soaked just as you describe, that was about 8 years ago. I reported it about 4 years ago too. The only way is if you could isolate the sensor, it does make the tune safer.

My ait2's were always about 20-30 Higher than my ait1's and that was with a jlt cold air. This past weekend i went open tracking, in 70 degree weather my ait2's were never over 140 degrees. I was running at 17 psi. I no longer have my a/c condensor and engine temps were never over 195 degrees and oil temps were never over 205 degrees.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Run some Redline "Water Wetter" just for added piece of mind.

I switched from 50/50 water coolant mix to a very diluted mostly water mix with redline water wetter and saw ZERO changes in my IAT2s. Seems like a total waste of money to me.

Users who are viewing this thread