TVS 3100... its on!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm glad I haven't had cash to buy a new supercharger then. Looks like a 3100 is going to be the blower for me. If the performance increase the 2650 had over the 2300 holds true with the 3100 over the 2650.... its going to be insane!
Yes this will be insane.
For my mildly built 5.8 the results all same DynoJet:

TVS 2300 mildly ported Gen2R: 965rwhp SAE
TVS 2650 max ported Gen3R: 1110rwhp SAE
TVS 3100 max ported Gen4R: 12xx TBD

Going from 2300 to 2650 same pulley ratio gave me 145rwhp on 2deg less timing and worse tires (MT ETR radial vs Nitto NT05R).

Just my results.
As far as TB go, VMP fixed the 173 issue with a GT500 standard pattern 163R which works as well as my trusty KB168 without an adapter.

@Justin@VMP

Waiting for some other cool VMP parts but I’d love to keep the testing with Lidio at Alternative Auto on how far VMP’s Mustang specific TVS Technology can go on a max effort street GT500.

My current focus is back on my Turbo Coyote Fox LX but my GT500 is here to stay.
-J

nxhappy

Established Member
We’ll see. From everything I’ve seen, the Whipple has outperformed the VMP by a decent margin at the Gen4 vs 2.65.

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I know the guys at Whipple. They are smart ass moFos. They always seem one step ahead with the Mustang SCs.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Yes this will be insane.
For my mildly built 5.8 the results all same DynoJet:

TVS 2300 mildly ported Gen2R: 965rwhp SAE
TVS 2650 max ported Gen3R: 1110rwhp SAE
TVS 3100 max ported Gen4R: 12xx TBD

Going from 2300 to 2650 same pulley ratio gave me 145rwhp on 2deg less timing and worse tires (MT ETR radial vs Nitto NT05R).

Just my results.
As far as TB go, VMP fixed the 173 issue with a GT500 standard pattern 163R which works as well as my trusty KB168 without an adapter.

@Justin@VMP

Waiting for some other cool VMP parts but I’d love to keep the testing with Lidio at Alternative Auto on how far VMP’s Mustang specific TVS Technology can go on a max effort street GT500.

My current focus is back on my Turbo Coyote Fox LX but my GT500 is here to stay.
-J
Have you or your friend Lidio seen these 163R VMP units in the wild? I have been hesitant to try a VMP mono after the Gen 3 issues. But if your opinion is that the 163R is as solid as the KB168, that's excellent news.

Any word on street driveability with the 163R? My guess is better than traditional ovals since is more roval?

I know the guys at Whipple. They are smart ass moFos. They always seem one step ahead with the Mustang SCs.
They make absolutely solid superchargers, and their 3.0L seems to be monstrous with the right boost and fuel. But it seems they are still lacking that hit down low, and still build power mid to high RPMs. I've experienced a TVS before thanks to you and why I sold it, I'll never know.

I will be looking forward to see a head to head comparison between the Whipple 3.0 and the next 3100 based VMP s/c. I will especially be interested at measured boost levels across the power band. We know the Whipple builds top end, be interested to see if the 3100 has any fall off at the top end as well.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry man, you haven’t been paying attention to the Gen3R very close. It does NOT fall off from a boost standpoint, unlike the 2.3 blowers. Any issues the Gen 3 were fixed by 3R.
For basic build Coyotes and 5.4/5.8, you’ll make 1000rwhp on limited combos and 1100+rwhp on well designed combos.
Easy fact is the 3R and 2650 rotor pack is more than capable for a 900-1000rwhp E50 build.
2 friends and I have ran the 163R TB this year w/o any issues like the 173 TB
I’m glad to help once you get closer!
-J

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Sorry man, you haven’t been paying attention to the Gen3R very close. It does NOT fall off from a boost standpoint, unlike the 2.3 blowers. Any issues the Gen 3 were fixed by 3R.
For basic build Coyotes and 5.4/5.8, you’ll make 1000rwhp on limited combos and 1100+rwhp on well designed combos.
Easy fact is the 3R and 2650 rotor pack is more than capable for a 900-1000rwhp E50 build.
2 friends and I have ran the 163R TB this year w/o any issues like the 173 TB
I’m glad to help once you get closer!
-J
Thanks Jay, solid info on the current VMP offerings. Ive waited this long for an SC, I think it will be the 3100.

Im honestly looking forward to see how this next gen VMP performs. Especially with this fitting under the factory hood. 3.1L size, TVS hit down low, 1k+ at the wheels potential and no spacer kits or lowering mounts? Easy win for VMP

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I think a base version Gen 4 will easily produce well over 1K RWHP on corn or race fuel with small pulley. I think an "R" version should be a ported case specifically for people putting these on dedicataed race cars like BPS' Beast.

I only hope they dont do the ****ery that was the non stock TB pattern and WIDE monoblades that never worked correctly. Make a KB168 clone that bolts to a factory 07-14 GT500 TB pattern and you have a winner.

Since the 3r came out last year we've been on the stock pattern for cleanliness/flexibility in parts, and not too large of a TB, Sid stopped by and we talked about this in a video that he's going to publish soon.

The KB168 is around 17 sq in and is really a race only type design. Very on/off at low throttle angles due to how soft of a spring they must run to get it to close. Nothing magical about it, just right around the limit of what a stock tb motor can handle and very low friction internals.

To make tuning easier and limit failsafe issues we've made our most recent TB designs a 16.3 sq in oval to ease the breaking open/closed stress that makes cars failsafe. The 15+ electronics are really the most ideally suited for any large TB, they have a stronger motor and better gear ratio, they actually return to idle better due to this. We've worked the TB design quite a bit to get the 07-14 electronics to behave in 95% of situations, but I would not go putting one on an NA 5.0L and expecting it to idle, the the biggest TBs are best left to blower and cammed cars.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Since the 3r came out last year we've been on the stock pattern for cleanliness/flexibility in parts, and not too large of a TB, Sid stopped by and we talked about this in a video that he's going to publish soon.

The KB168 is around 17 sq in and is really a race only type design. Very on/off at low throttle angles due to how soft of a spring they must run to get it to close. Nothing magical about it, just right around the limit of what a stock tb motor can handle and very low friction internals.

To make tuning easier and limit failsafe issues we've made our most recent TB designs a 16.3 sq in oval to ease the breaking open/closed stress that makes cars failsafe. The 15+ electronics are really the most ideally suited for any large TB, they have a stronger motor and better gear ratio, they actually return to idle better due to this. We've worked the TB design quite a bit to get the 07-14 electronics to behave in 95% of situations, but I would not go putting one on an NA 5.0L and expecting it to idle, the the biggest TBs are best left to blower and cammed cars.
Ive been a vocal critic of the Gen3. But you guys have stepped up to the plate and made the 2650 a monster with the 3R. What you guys at VMP have done to keep us legacy SVT cars relavent in the modern HP wars has earned my respect.

Would be easy to chase the Coyote market and not worry about Shelby and Terminator owners.

But here were are with a monster in the making (3100), and one of the first prototypes is for the Terminators... yeah I'm a fan of that. I trust BiminiLX when he says your 163R is vetted. I'll want to see real world tests of course, but Im fairly sold on what I presume will be called the Gen 4.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I was disappointed they gave up on it, I think it would have made big power, but whatever.
I believe the bigger rotors didn’t tolerate over spinning as much, so an over spun 2650 made the same as a 3100 for the most part.
Or EPA…
If we see one from the OEMs I’ll assume it’ll be revived but I think I’m done with ‘small’ blowers if I feel the 1100rwhp the 3R 2650 currently makes isn’t enough.
-J

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone know what happened to this blower? Seems it disappeared.

It was not an improvement over the 2.65

Why do dumpy, old, slow people walk in the center of a hallway? Come-on Norene, pick a side or move that fat ass!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe the bigger rotors didn’t tolerate over spinning as much, so an over spun 2650 made the same as a 3100 for the most part.
Or EPA…
If we see one from the OEMs I’ll assume it’ll be revived but I think I’m done with ‘small’ blowers if I feel the 1100rwhp the 3R 2650 currently makes isn’t enough.
-J
I remember Justin from VMP talking about that, and I believe @Turbo98GT is the only GT500 in the country with a 3100. I would think it would make more power with less boost, but I honestly don't know. I also believe the EPA played a role in vmp not making the 3100

Users who are viewing this thread