Turning to the experts

raustin0017

Established Member
Will keep it short as possible. 16,500 miles original owner. Raven Racing 13.5 kit: 2.4 upper, Ford Racing 65MM TB, JTL intake tube, TR6 plugs, Lund Tune for 93, ARH Long Tubes.
Everything was fine and She has never even had one hiccup but I had never data logged. Contacted Lund and set up laptop and used my SCT X4 and followed the directions. Sent Lund the file and was told it was running a little rich and they sent me another tune to upload. Uploaded and started to data log again. Start up fine, runs great when not in boost. As soon as She starts to use boost...misses real bad. No backfire but real rough cough and sputters and certainly not right.
Retuned to prior tune that was sent to me about 9-months ago when the Long Tubes were installed. Start up fine, runs great until above 3,500 rpm then starts missing real bad again.
Parked it overnight. Drove to work next day just fine. After temps got to normal range did a pull and it ran great up to redline. That same afternoon coming home miss comes back.
Pulled plugs installed new NGK TR6. Miss is still there.

Are these systems mechanical or is the Tune?

Lund is waiting for me to contact them and I'm sure they will do everything to get this issue resolved but wanted to turn to the experts who own one.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bob

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The fact that the problems started concurrently with the new tune points to probable tune issue, while the fact that they weren't eliminated by reverting to your previous tune points to something else. Interested to see what your tuner finds in the logs...

Curious why you're running NGK TR6 plugs? We have similar mods (JLT 127mm CF CAI; CFM Twin Jet 67mm TB; VMP 2.4" Upper; 90mm Idler; BPS Oversized & Ported Plenum/Elbow; VMP Triple Pass-Dual Fan Heat Exchanger and Reische 170' Thermostat here) for which my tuner recommended NGK TR7-IX plugs.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed the TR6s are a bit hot, as stock is closer to a 7 range. Still, not sure this is plug related.
Might be some bad gas ( :) sorry had to ), but I’d like to think Lund will work with you get it on point.
Still, don’t forget common things like fuel filter.
-J

boduke0220

Established Member
Id go to a colder plug and throw some octanium or torco in the tank to rule out bad gas ( or just refill with quality shell/BP 93)

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Could be a coil. I would cycle through your fuel for good measure, but if it keeps up and for long enough to get a fault code, see if you have a misfire for a certain cylinder. If so, swap ignition coils from that cyl to another and see if the misfire follows.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
There is a DCT for each coil. If it's a coil, the code will report which one is faulting. If it's only misfiring at WOT, it's probably not a coil. Random misfire codes are usually something else.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If it only did it under load, it's likely the boot, the wire or the plug.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Sometimes it's not worth messing with stuff, but I'm with everyone, go to a colder plug, I personally love the NGK BR7FE plugs gapped at .28. But I'm running 19psi.

Beercules

Established Member
Replace the plugs. That's what they do when they go bad from too many miles. Spark blowout.

And copper plugs are only $25/set

Beercules

Established Member
Sorry, just saw you changed plugs. Check again for vacuum leaks. Clean MAF just for giggles. Double check all electrical connections for maf/ throttle body are connected.

Users who are viewing this thread