Turbocharge my 01 Cobra ?

01 Cobra #1326

Established Member
Hey everyone,

I recently contacted a company out of Roswell, NM called HP Performance (www.turbochargedpower.com) who is building Turbo kits. They have been featured in MM & FF magazine, as well as Hot Rod and a few others. I inquired about a Turbo kit for my 2001 Cobra and their response was that the 4V kit had not yet been developed and that they would be interested in using my car for the project. After speaking with them for the past week, the arrangement we have come to is that I will buy the kit ($ 5000), and the installation, fabrication, and tuning would be free. The main parts of the kit include a T-66 turbo, intercooler, full tubular front suspension, fuel injectors and 03 cobra pump, custom headers and exhaust, MAF, battery relocated to trunk, and an Autologic chip.
This seems like a great setup to me, but I am new to the turbo world. I am also leary of shipping my car 1500 miles away to be worked on (Michigan to New Mexico) and not being able to drop by to observe progress and ask questions. Also, what if something were to go wrong on the dyno and now my car is 1500 miles away and needs a motor as well. I don't mind if I blow it up, or If I am there when it happens, but if someone else does, and I don't even know what happened, what happens then ? It's not that I don't trust them, I just don't know them. After speaking with them so far they seem reputable and knowledgable, and I have nothing bad to say, but has anyone else been to their shop, had work done there, or know someone who has ? I would really appreciate a good debate of pros and cons on what I should do. Send my car away or let someone else be the first and purchase my kit at a later date ?
BTW, this offer is still good so if anyone has no hesitation and is willing to jump in head first, feel free to contact them and offer up your Cobra.

Thanx in advance,

Brian

Tired

Needs 4 more cylinders.
Established Member
If the kit was free id be leary of sending my car that far away. Sure theyre professionals and they know whats going on, but R&D is uncharted territory. On top of this, whos to say your car cant be stolen while its there?

If I were you, I would either wait for the kit to be fully developed and then buy it, or go with some other FI option.

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
01 Cobra #1326
I'd have to say no. 2 reason's. It should be 100% free and the distance is to far. Just buy a kit thats been out for a while, that is proven and bug free.

JrayGT

Juiced5.0
Established Member
hmmm... no. I agree with 99 cobra. BTW can i see a pic of it because my cousin is thinkin about buyin chrome fr500 rims for his 01

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Most single turbo kits won't be much more than that to begin with. The kit includes the plumbing,intercooler,chip & Kmember. All of this stuff is necessary for the turbo to fit, work or feed the engine. So that isn't really a price break. You might save about 1,000 at most.

If they are going to R&D your car, they will have it a LONG time. They will have to fabricate all the necessary items. They will need to get the tune dialed in right, hopefully without damaging your motor. They will also use your car for magazine exposure so they can sell their "new kits" to the public. You'll be their test bed and advertising show car. They should be doing this for ALOT cheaper. I mean honestly, they'll have your car for months! I'm not bashing the company. They may be the best place building turbo kits when it's all done. It just sounds to me like they are wanting you to pay for alot of their R&D. If they are that good and that well established, they should be able to give better breaks for the person that is willing to allow them to use their car for a test mule. Otherwise they will have to go buy one and start there. Which is cheaper? Using a customer supplied vehicle and not charginf them the usual $6000.00 for kit and installation or buying your own test car $10,000 if they are lucky and still having to fabricate all the necessary items anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread