Turbo Vs. Super...thoughts?

mmarraccini325

Established Member
Hey guys, have been thinking about this lately and wanted some expert insight. So I was wondering about the pro and cons of running either setup. Am looking to get around 450 BHP or so. And am wondering if turbo or blower is the way to go. Is one better for engine life, performance , ease of maintenance ? Feel free to say anything as all I know is what I have read, and looking for some personal testimonials. Anything would be greatly appreciated as I am brand new to forced induction, and any kind of builds in general. Thanks and have a great day.

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
This question has been asked so many times. All your answers can be found with the search function of this forum. There is alot to consider. What's your budget $$$ for the build. What type of platform (2v,4v,built motor, displacement), compression, intake, etc..etc..etc. What are your goals for the build street, race, or both. As far as what setup is better, I think there is no doubt from my experience and I am no expert, my turbo setup is far superior to my blower setup.

Performance wise...I mean don't get me wrong, I loved the supercharger for the violent low end torque it produced for fun on the street, but there is nothing like the feeling of the turbos spooling up. The power up top is awesome and from 3k RPM to redline it just feels like you're going to eventually end up in the backseat from pulling so hard.

Engine life definitely goes to turbo setup. There is no or very little parasitic loss vs. losing 100+hp to just turning the blower. This also in return allows you to run lower boost levels but maintain the same hp (less stress on internals). Boost levels can be changed with a flick of your finger with your boost controller (no pulley swaps). No more heat soak and loss of power between runs at the track.

Maintnance wise this is a toss up, I think either way you slice it both turbo or supercharger will eventually need a rebuild. You won't have to worry about changing the supercharger oil frequently. Less wear on belts and no belt slippage with turbo.

I hope some of this helps in your decision. Good luck!

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Here are just a few reasons I ditched my Kb and went turbo.

1. The KB makes power way to low in the RPM band to be very usable on the street and then falls off up top.
2. The turbo can make big power on 93 pump gas. (That's the only thing that goes in my tank)
3. I was sick of belt slip and the heat soak of the twin screw.

The down falls of the turbo setups are price but that is it. I have only had a few slight issues in my turbo stage of my car and they are minor. Most recently I think I blew the IAC out. Other issues were related to a wiring issue with a boost-a-spark.

One thing people over look is the fact that all the power in the world isn't going to make your car faster unless you can get your car to hook up. So I recommend saving some money to make suspension upgrade around with a power adder.

Wildcard

Established Member
I'll give a little different perspective. I went from a supercharger, to a huge turbo, now back to a supercharger--although its a huge supercharger.

I agree with "ruthless'" list of why he changed. I loathed belt slip like the Grinch loathed the Whos. I hated the water to air intercooler that my vortech came with because of its heat soak. Despite these negatives, it was reliable and was relatively maintence free. I went to turbo because I had started building them for customers, so I started building versions for my own car.

I recently switched back because the new superchargers a can make more hp than my 1000 hp turbo setup, with less weight (parts, tubing), less drama (no: what's that smoke? What's knock? What's that noise?), and a supercharger is reliable. The last two go together, but a turbo system that is either custom or manufactured by an aftermarket will always be higher maintence due to just its nature. If you are excited about the higher maintence then no worries, but--for me--my life has changed and I no longer have time for any of that so I went back to a supercharger. It was right move for me. I'm going to be run it with a wastegate so eliminate pulley changes and the effects of belt slip.

For your situation. 450hp. Go supercharger. That's a simple number to hit, and not worth the need of a supercharger system.

I've showed this before. I'll show it again. Accufab Cobra Jet Engine Makes 1600 Horsepower On Westech Dyno - YouTube

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread