Turbo sizing for Lincoln LS V8???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket5979

Established Member
Ok, I totally know this isn't an SVT vehicle but I would surely appreciate it if someone could help me. I have been around cars and making allot of horsepower with superchargers for a while now. I installed and fabbed a few really custom supercharger projects and now want to get my hands wet with a turbo project. My only problem is that while I know the general stuff about turbo's, I don't know all the sizing approaches and stuff. I can fab like no tomorrow so I know that the installation shouldn't be too hard, but just need help with the sizing.

I have a 2005 Lincoln LS with the 3.9 liter 32v DOHC V8. Stock they put out 280hp @ 10.75:1 compression. The boost that I would be looking for would be in the 3-4 lb range with a single turbo. I would suppose that somewhere around 350 to the flywheel would be my power goal.

What kind of sizing would I want to go with? Is THIS an option? I see that it is only rated for 300 hp(rwhp???), would that cause a problem? I want to go with the smallest physical size and smallest "sized" turbo I can find for a good price. Junkyard turbo reccomendations are cool with me too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

Last edited:

DirtyD916

SVT Based God
Established Member
for a twin trubo setup yes but for a single turbo setup god no. Way too small. Look at maybe a 62-1 turbo or better yet a masterpower T-70. But like 95sn95 say turbomustangs.com is the best place for anyone looking to turbo a ford. They are numerous members who have turbo lincolns and would be willing to help you out.

rocket5979

Established Member
DirtyD916 said:
for a twin trubo setup yes but for a single turbo setup god no. Way too small. Look at maybe a 62-1 turbo or better yet a masterpower T-70. But like 95sn95 say turbomustangs.com is the best place for anyone looking to turbo a ford. They are numerous members who have turbo lincolns and would be willing to help you out.

Hey thanks fella's, I already tried turbomustangs.com and no one seemed to want to reply. I also looked at allot of their literature that they have explaining the sizing of turbo's and it sure was allot of stuff to try to soak in. :eek:

I really don't want too much power in this Lincoln. I am planning to run really low boost so I don't kill the higher comp stock bottem end. I was thinking of something small that would spool quickly, especially since I plan to remote mount it near the rear of the vehicle due to severe engine compartment size constraints.

SpookSVT

Established Member
Precision PT-61 w/ the .68 A/R or even .58 turbine. The .58 might be a little small but I need a compressor map and they don't show them. Should have very good spool on that motor and will support 600HP minimum, which will give you some growing room if you decide to build that motor up later. The High compression is gonna absolutely kill you. An intercooler will be needed no matter how much boost your gonna throw at that motor.

If your not planning on going that big, something like a 60-1 will do just fine, T3 .82 A/R turbine

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
SpookSVT said:
Precision PT-61 w/ the .68 A/R or even .58 turbine. The .58 might be a little small but I need a compressor map and they don't show them. Should have very good spool on that motor and will support 600HP minimum, which will give you some growing room if you decide to build that motor up later. The High compression is gonna absolutely kill you. An intercooler will be needed no matter how much boost your gonna throw at that motor.

If your not planning on going that big, something like a 60-1 will do just fine, T3 .82 A/R turbine

Yeah I hear ya on the high comp! The even shittier thing is that these engines arent cheap, and there is ZERO aftemarket for them. OUt of curiousity I already priced a set of custom Oliver connecting rods. I will just say that I would have to sell body parts to afford a built bottom end for this car, especially after the Kenne Bell Explorer project which is still sucking more money than a vacuum cleaner. Thanks for the advice on the turbo sizing man. You got any ideas of a decent junkyard turbo I could use? I will most likely go new aftermarket one, but if there is something out there from the OEM world that is a pretty close match then I might persue that option. Once again, thanks.

Robert

Last edited:

ESVEETEE

Established Member
for that little boost look for one off the t-bird or GN or somethin... you may even be able to see that boost with an SVO turbo... i mean 3-4 lbs is nothin, and your V8 wouldnt take much to spool a small one to hell and back.

SpookSVT

Established Member
ESVEETEE said:
for that little boost look for one off the t-bird or GN or somethin... you may even be able to see that boost with an SVO turbo... i mean 3-4 lbs is nothin, and your V8 wouldnt take much to spool a small one to hell and back.

uh, maybe two of them. Their a little on the small, small side for that motor for a single setup.

My cousin is gonna be running a Holset turbo off a dodge cummins he picked up for $100. It's goin on a 2.3L 4-banger. It's a full fame T4, not too sure on any other specs, but it has supported almost 500HP on another 2.3L and hit full boost around 4000RPM on that motor as well. Should make a nice matchup on your motor. Hope this helps.

Oh, and if decide to go the junkyard route, make sure you got some room in the engine bay cuz the thing is kinda big. :poke:

DirtyD916

SVT Based God
Established Member
just get a 62-1. Will support the amount you desire and would spool fast. Plus if you ever crank it up (which you will) it could handle it

rocket5979

Established Member
DirtyD916 said:
just get a 62-1. Will support the amount you desire and would spool fast. Plus if you ever crank it up (which you will) it could handle it

Thanks for the advice. I will most likely NEVER crank it up. One reason being that if I do crank it up I will have to forge the bottom end. Being that my engine doesnt have any aftermarket for it what-so-ever I would have to pay really really really big bucks to get the forged or billet parts made for it, or swap to a SOHC 4.6. I priced them through Oliver, and they were just plain outrageous just for the connecting rods, let alone the pistons themselves. Another reason I wont crank it up is because I already have a vehicle that i will be makng over 600+ hp to the wheels so I dont need something else with gobs of power and tons of maintenance(aka-breakage).

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
rocket5979 said:
Thanks for the advice. I will most likely NEVER crank it up. One reason being that if I do crank it up I will have to forge the bottom end. Being that my engine doesnt have any aftermarket for it what-so-ever I would have to pay really really really big bucks to get the forged or billet parts made for it, or swap to a SOHC 4.6. I priced them through Oliver, and they were just plain outrageous just for the connecting rods, let alone the pistons themselves. Another reason I wont crank it up is because I already have a vehicle that i will be makng over 600+ hp to the wheels so I dont need something else with gobs of power and tons of maintenance(aka-breakage).

Terminator motor with a slight hood buldge? :idea:

rocket5979

Established Member
CPViolation said:
Terminator motor with a slight hood buldge? :idea:

While terminator motors are very nice, they are too expensive for the power they make. They are also most likely physically wider than the engine in here or the 4.6 SOHC too. If I were to swap to anything it would be a built 4.6 with 2v heads. I already sank about $8,000 into my other vehicle and still have another $15,000 to sink into it until its done so I am keeping money pretty tight right now; which doesnt leave much room for the LS to gobble up money. Thankfully I will be doing all install myself. And I might even be doing all the tuning by that time too. At least that will save me a few bucks. We will see. :)

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
rocket5979 said:
While terminator motors are very nice, they are too expensive for the power they make. They are also most likely physically wider than the engine in here or the 4.6 SOHC too. If I were to swap to anything it would be a built 4.6 with 2v heads. I already sank about $8,000 into my other vehicle and still have another $15,000 to sink into it until its done so I am keeping money pretty tight right now; which doesnt leave much room for the LS to gobble up money. Thankfully I will be doing all install myself. And I might even be doing all the tuning by that time too. At least that will save me a few bucks. We will see. :)
Ok, I was thinking at the rate kids are crashing terminators you could pick up a drivetrain wiring ect for cheap. Then somehow shoehorn it in there. :0

BTW, good luck on your mission.

rocket5979

Established Member
CPViolation said:
Ok, I was thinking at the rate kids are crashing terminators you could pick up a drivetrain wiring ect for cheap. Then somehow shoehorn it in there. :0

BTW, good luck on your mission.

If i could find one cheap it sure would be nice to be able to fanagle one in there, but I dont foresee it as being a possibility.

rocket5979

Established Member
What about this? http://www.turbochargers.com/Turbos/TurboUpgrades/T3-T4-57.htm It flows one heck of allot more CFM than the other option I gave above.

That turbo flows 700 cfm where as my engine only flows about 381cfm @ .85 VE n/a....

Good pick or still not right? The 60-1's and all that are tending to be a little more expensive than I would prefer to go.

Here is another one that could be a possibility???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...032710626QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Let me know if I am wayyyy off or getting closer. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread