Turbo really better?

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Really, $5k?

:read:
Check the price and installation from a fast Ford shop, yes.
I used to do all the work on my cars, threw a lot of wrenches around + I'm 52 and really don't feel like getting more scares on my hands.
Maybe 5k is a good eh?
$100.00 an hour just for labor.
Jeff

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
only thing i would say, if your car is a daily driver i would stay with a twin screw. i had the hellion kit and spoke with almost ALL of the guys on here and they all had some type of problem with it. You have to re-learn how to drive the car and in this CAli traffic its not worth the stress. Hellion does not pay my bills so i have no reason to show favoritism, the quality of the kit is second to none, but there are a lot of driveability issues with it. a lot of you guys have switched to an auto and seemed to help out with stalling.and i know it wasn't a tune problem because i had the 2 of the best tuners work on it.
just my experience with the kit.

Straight up honesty spoken, and it is not the first person I've heard it from either. However, once kinks are worked out where and if possible, then I admit they can and will be monsters.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Check the price and installation from a fast Ford shop, yes.
I used to do all the work on my cars, threw a lot of wrenches around + I'm 52 and really don't feel like getting more scares on my hands.
Maybe 5k is a good eh?
$100.00 an hour just for labor.
Jeff

Are you talking about the difference spread between a 3.4 Whipple verus Turbo kit?

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Straight up honesty spoken, and it is not the first person I've heard it from either. However, once kinks are worked out where and if possible, then I admit they can and will be monsters.

Older cars also have a lot of workspace.
I don't know how Ford shoe horned that 4v blower motor into the Terminator.
One thing at least in my old '96 snake to combine the clutch and brake master cylinder one unit.

Jeff

Last edited:

Greg@RET

Established Member
why does the power level off like that? I would think it would keep climbing.....

I think its because thats the max amount of power it will see at that psi. If you run more boost it will make more before it goes flat. Mine is also the same way.... Mine also nose dives at 6100 since the tires started spinning.

105_0185.gif

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
we are really comparing apples to oranges or should I say oranges to grapefruit.

Turbos's give you a larger torque rise over a given rpm band (ie more acceleration)
when they come on boost. The torque peak is generally higher as well. Twin screws give you that big block
torque at most RPM. I have driven fast (not as fast as many turbo cars on here) turbo,
centrifugal blwr and twin screws. I love the torque (and personally prefer) of
a s/c, but the rush you get from the a turbo car is more exciting to me.
It is gearing and the "area under the power/torque curve" is what I judge a good
set-up by.

Some great comments on this. Oh & I don't care if this is considered off topic by the
wanna be svt police.

Last edited:

GHIG RTR

Banned
Having lived in CA I know that car stuff and especially labor costs a lot more there. Here in TX you can get a Hellion twin turbo kit for $7k installed at a local shop!
If you're talking about a given hp level that the twin screw is capable of making, then sure it's more bang for the buck compared to a turbo car making the same power.
But the fact is even a base level turbo kit (say twin 56s) has more potential for more hp in the future than a big twin screw. This is important to me because horsepower is a degenerative disease that always leaves you wanting more no matter how much you make. As mentioned before, turbos are also more efficient and easier on the engine due to parasitic losses from turning the blower and more heat generated. So they make more power at the same boost level, are easier on the motor, and are capable of running higher boost levels too.

:bs: Please tell me where I can get this done for this price, cause I have a tax refund that wants to be used for this.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
If anyone thinks they are going to just BOLT ON a whipple 3.4 and make big power, they are very mistaken.

My combo ended up being very expensive, but I am certain it will clear 800+ rwhp on boost only when it's finalized.

Then I'm going turbo hunting!

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
If anyone thinks they are going to just BOLT ON a whipple 3.4 and make big power, they are very mistaken.

My combo ended up being very expensive, but I am certain it will clear 800+ rwhp on boost only when it's finalized.

Thank you! Im glad there are other people that understand this.

These other guys think "why am I going to spend $7-8k on a turbo kit when I can get a Whipple 3.4 for under $4000" They do not realize what other parts and what needs to be done to make that type of power and be able to use it. In the end it costs the same.

BTW Foof, your car looks awesome with those wheels and that hood

heytonyman

build-break-repeat
Established Member
Been a while since I posted up here. I just took off my KB 2.8H and full bolt-on's which made 594/530 on pump and 676/640 on race. The Hellion is untuned at just 10 psi and I will say it flat out... The turbo is better.

If you still have doubts, I suggest you go for a ride in one.

Tony P.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Nice video. Again like I've said before, I was not trying to knock on the Turbo Cobras. They are definitely sick, and for the more fortunate people with too much money to spend. Money for Money, Turbo is more costly, and this video is not changing it. We all know that speed costs money, and obviously you have more in your car than his.

Do you have video of a race against this same car from digs? I am not sure if the outcome would be the same being that bad as your three second highway roll on race video. Not everybody will start races at 60MPH up to arrest me speeds, but rather from a dead stop. That is what a real race is.
I race quite a bit on the track and my opinion is that the turbo car will get out of the hole cleaner than the twinscrew due to the way boost comes on.
With new electronic boost controllers the boost can also be controlled throughout the rpm range.
You can also overboost for short periods of time if you prefer.
If money were no object and I lived in an area where the best of the best could tune it I would go TT in a heartbeat.
Unfortunately money and distance are limiting fators.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
does anybody here have experience with HPP and their TT kit?? I always hear about Hellion and HP. But yes i agree that both options will cost just about the same in the end. I DD my car when its not snowing and I love everything about going turbo!! Less stress on the engine and more power using just 93 oct etc.... I have owned 4 turbo DSM's and i loved them! If you are concerned about money, all i have to say is that u have to pay to play. as a DD i want a ton of power at the pump, with a high boost high hp TS u will need a higher octane most of the time. I say if you are bias to TS's go TS.... but u will eventually want more, everybody does. but if you're happy then thats all that matters! lol... ...... ...and you'll eventually lose to a turbo car!! ha jk! i couldnt resist!

TRBO VNM

does anybody here have experience with HPP and their TT kit?? I always hear about Hellion and HP. But yes i agree that both options will cost just about the same in the end. I DD my car when its not snowing and I love everything about going turbo!! Less stress on the engine and more power using just 93 oct etc.... I have owned 4 turbo DSM's and i loved them! If you are concerned about money, all i have to say is that u have to pay to play. as a DD i want a ton of power at the pump, with a high boost high hp TS u will need a higher octane most of the time. I say if you are bias to TS's go TS.... but u will eventually want more, everybody does. but if you're happy then thats all that matters! lol... ...... ...and you'll eventually lose to a turbo car!! ha jk! i couldnt resist!

the only experience I have with the HPP kit is being at the tuning session with BLK_03. so I saw it on the dyno and on the lift. it is a nice kit, but I thought the price was more.

TRBO VNM

:lol: Coming off a late night bender Jay? It's It's 330 in the damn morning. Get some sleep.:beer:

I am a night person. about 10pm I get a second wind. plus there were a lot of good movies on...you know, Into the Blue with Jessica Alba in a skimpy bikini showing half her ass. :rockon:

ITS STOCK

Established Member

what is your combo?

looking to go the same route.

Users who are viewing this thread