Turbo or Blower

89foxbody3:73

Hey guys! Ive got an 89 LX 5.0 5spd and dont know if i should turbocharge or supercharge it. :burnout: Please tell me which will get better horsepower, how much and what size boost would be best for it. Thanks

03Cobra04GT

Under Construction
Established Member
89MustangLX3:73 said:
Hey guys! Ive got an 89 LX 5.0 5spd and dont know if i should turbocharge or supercharge it. :burnout: Please tell me which will get better horsepower, how much and what size boost would be best for it. Thanks
This is a topic that can discussed for hours. I think that you can make a lot more power with a Turbo than you can a blower. The good think about a turbo is that the boost can easily be moved and controlled. Turbo's are ok for daily driving because they are not constantly generating boost. The problem with a centrifical supercharger is that they do not make a lot of low end power. A turbo kit maybe a little bit more expensive then a supercharger but after you buy the different pully's and tuning and stuff I think that in the end you will be very happy with the turbo.

burning0921

Established Member
03Cobra04GT said:
This is a topic that can discussed for hours. I think that you can make a lot more power with a Turbo than you can a blower. The good think about a turbo is that the boost can easily be moved and controlled. Turbo's are ok for daily driving because they are not constantly generating boost. The problem with a centrifical supercharger is that they do not make a lot of low end power. A turbo kit maybe a little bit more expensive then a supercharger but after you buy the different pully's and tuning and stuff I think that in the end you will be very happy with the turbo.

+3

89foxbody3:73

My friend has a 92 lx notch. He has a turbo but real bad turbo lag. How do i get away from turbo lag if i get a turbo?

99SaleenS351

Established Member
You can get a Kenny Bell Super for how much a turbo cost but the thing with blowers is that you have instant power. Turbo are all ways going to have turbo lag but they do make more power.

98convgt

Established Member
i agree i would get the kb. since the power is right there and there is no lag. you can make decent power with it but not as much as the turbo would in the end.

03Cobra04GT

Under Construction
Established Member
98convgt said:
i agree i would get the kb. since the power is right there and there is no lag. you can make decent power with it but not as much as the turbo would in the end.
You can not get anywhere near the power with the KB as a turbo. You might have turbo lag but after the turbo lag there is not gonna be much that can run with you. :burnout:

99SaleenS351

Established Member
No doubt turbo's are alot more powerful and for the same price that instant ation won't be like the turbo_On turbo's it's like someone fliped a lite switch when that thing kicks in. I'm trying to put a turbo on my Saleen. (try Speed Inc) they may have what you want. Go with the turbo bro right now ive got a KB on my Saleen and im going with a turbo.

turbo94gt

Established Member
Go with the turbo if you have the money for it. I can guarantee that once you feel the power of a turbo you will never want anything else. There is really no way to describe the power, nothing like it. Well actually I took my brother,who is not into cars, for a ride when I was at 16 lbs and he was speachless. Said it felt like a roller coaster at warp speed lol. Anyway my buddy has a fox with h,c,i and at the time an S trim at 12psi. One ride in my car( stock longblock)was enough to convince him to sell the S trim and go turbo, which he will be getting shortly. He now runs a 200 shot of nitrous in the meantime and he still says that nothing feels like my car. Now speaking of turbo lag, with the correct size turbo for your application there will be no turbo lag at all. I have a T64 on my car and make full boost (18-20psi) at 3k rpms and the power is steady and incredibly smooth. Mash the peddle and the power is there. I am telling you from experience that you will be wasting your money with a supercharger( please no flames). I was very close to buying an S trim for my car but at the last minute sucked it up and bought the turbo kit. I am so glad I did and would have regretted every minute of it if I went with a supercharger. I added up the cost of the kit and compared it with the price of the supercharger and other things like aftercooler and injectors,headers and the price was not that much more for the turbo kit. IMHO it is a no brainer. Good luck with your decision.

redstang

turbo94gt said:
Go with the turbo if you have the money for it. I can guarantee that once you feel the power of a turbo you will never want anything else. There is really no way to describe the power, nothing like it. Well actually I took my brother,who is not into cars, for a ride when I was at 16 lbs and he was speachless. Said it felt like a roller coaster at warp speed lol. Anyway my buddy has a fox with h,c,i and at the time an S trim at 12psi. One ride in my car( stock longblock)was enough to convince him to sell the S trim and go turbo, which he will be getting shortly. He now runs a 200 shot of nitrous in the meantime and he still says that nothing feels like my car. Now speaking of turbo lag, with the correct size turbo for your application there will be no turbo lag at all. I have a T64 on my car and make full boost (18-20psi) at 3k rpms and the power is steady and incredibly smooth. Mash the peddle and the power is there. I am telling you from experience that you will be wasting your money with a supercharger( please no flames). I was very close to buying an S trim for my car but at the last minute sucked it up and bought the turbo kit. I am so glad I did and would have regretted every minute of it if I went with a supercharger. I added up the cost of the kit and compared it with the price of the supercharger and other things like aftercooler and injectors,headers and the price was not that much more for the turbo kit. IMHO it is a no brainer. Good luck with your decision.

man if you could find me a turbo kit for 2500, i'd drop my whole S trim setup in a heartbeat. Problem is, there isnt any. thats why i went blower. fast(easy), efficient, relatively inexpensive.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
fastwhite86gt said:
man if you could find me a turbo kit for 2500, i'd drop my whole S trim setup in a heartbeat. Problem is, there isnt any. thats why i went blower. fast(easy), efficient, relatively inexpensive.

If you have a hookup on the piping and did the labor yourself you could do a junkyard turbo kit for $2,500.

turbo94gt

Established Member
89MustangLX3:73 said:
What size turbo should i get?
Well it really depends on the combo and the power you want to make. My turbo(precision t64) is good for 700-750 crank horsepower, a 60mm turbo 500-550 crank. If you have a stock longblock I would get a 60mm-67mm turbo, if you are h,c,i I would get a 67 or 70mm turbo.

turbo94gt

Established Member
fastwhite86gt said:

I have seen junkyard kits for less than that, but yeah a new kit no way. There is a guy on turbomustangs that makes hot parts for a fox for less that 1k. My buddy was actually inquiring about it. Add that up with a MP T70 turbo about $600, tial wastegate $250, Ebay intercooler $300 and fabbed up cold parts and blow off or bypass valve for cheap. Add this up and it becomes very interesting. A blower is pretty cheap but if the guy has the money for a new kit than go turbo.

alotahp92gt

Established Member
check out the write up in MM&FFs for november
and check out www.hellionpowersystems.com
Their kit made 392rwhp/487tq on a bone stock 5.0 and their base kit. then added afr 185 heads and a tfs street heat intake with the stock cam and that put out 465hp and 517tq... only manual fuel and timeing adjustments...
check out the site and see what you think man.

my 02

Users who are viewing this thread