Turbo i take options

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
What kind of filters and intakes are you guys running with your setups?

My origional intake was picking up about 10-20° of heat before the turbo (iat1) while cruising. Overal IAT2 ends up being 12-18° over iat1at 23psi.

Decided to make a heat shield and new pipe. Now looking into filter options, rather not run a screen but open to the idea, or run a small filter but don't want to restrict the air flow with too small of a filter.

pics of old intake and new one in the making.
20201025_172525.jpeg
20201025_112829.jpeg
20201025_153543.jpeg

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
What is the exact problem you're trying to solve? The only IAT number that should be of concern is during WOT. Cruising IAT doesn't matter at all.

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
What is the exact problem you're trying to solve? The only IAT number that should be of concern is during WOT. Cruising IAT doesn't matter at all.
Trying to keep the iat1 as close to ambient as possible and Getting ideas for how other turbos have their intakes setup.

Also Im on paternity leave until January so getting bored and wanting to make things.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't run a street car without a filter. If there are gains to be had by using the Turbo Guard, I doubt the butt dyno could tell a difference in power or spool time over a properly sized and placed air filter. The placebo effect could cloud reality, though.

Why unnecessarily risk damage to the turbo/engine?

OP, if you make a 4.125" hole in the bottom of the inner fender, you could run a 4" pipe from the turbo down to a 4" X 12" K&N conical filter. It would only pull ambient air from inside the fender.

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
I wouldn't run a street car without a filter. If there are gains to be had by using the Turbo Guard, I doubt the butt dyno could tell a difference in power or spool time over a properly sized and placed air filter. The placebo effect could cloud reality, though.

Why unnecessarily risk damage to the turbo/engine?

OP, if you make a 4.125" hole in the bottom of the inner fender, you could run a 4" pipe from the turbo down to a 4" X 12" K&N conical filter. It would only pull ambient air from inside the fender.
I would if my A2W intercooler wasn't there. Thats why i made the intake Box which will use the fender and headlight air.

Turbo guard was absolute worst case scenario, i found a good size filter and ordered a 4in 90. Ill get it together then drop off for powder coating.
20200603_195403.jpeg

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
How to fit an extra 5lbs of shit in your already full 4lb sack! That is every turbo guys question. Your heat shield should work fairly well, maybe open up a hole to grab some air from the fender well. Being a single turbo, you really don’t want a smaller filter than what you have.
I called Hellion and Nelson Racing to get their recommendations and part #s of filters they were using when I built my old car. Both were about the same size for twins

IMG_5478.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Ordered up some more pipe and a few filters. Was able to get everything in, going out tonight to drive around and see how the intake temps are before i send it off to powder coating.

It will have rubber trim around the pipes and exposed edges so it cleans up nice.
20201028_154751.jpeg

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
How to fit an extra 5lbs of shit in your already full 4lb sack! That is every turbo guys question. Your heat shield should work fairly well, maybe open up a hole to grab some air from the fender well. Being a single turbo, you really don’t want a smaller filter than what you have.
I called Hellion and Nelson Racing to get their recommendations and part #s of filters they were using when I built my old car. Both were about the same size for twins

View attachment 1669145

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Little off topic, but geoffmt how are the mirror image turbos working out? They're the NRE 62's right?

Thanks
Ken

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
They were 61s. I never got that project finished. Traded it off for the cobra I have now. I just couldn’t get the last 10-15% fabricated.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
That's too bad! Well maybe not for you lol. I've been interested in real world results on those turbos. I see now the Precision and a few other companies are offering mirror image turbos as well.
Thanks
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread