Turbo build long haul

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Just recently picked up a upr kmember kit and will be ordering prebent pipe to make a custom single turbo kit.

Ill be welding a -12an to the oil pan and installing a oilfilter relocation kit at the same time as installing the k member.

So far plans are:
2.5"y to 3" into turbo mild steel (going to ceramic coat and wrap so why waste money on ss
44mm waste gate
4" down pipe mild (ceramic coat and wrap)
3" ic piping ss
Ba5000
Yet to source a fmic but looking for a verticle flow
Percision 7675 .81ar
Debating on manifolds (whether to make my own or purchase)

Current fuel system:
Twin 255lph with bap
80#
Fore rails
(Will be installing a lethal budget return)

Goal is 700whp.

This car will be a weekend warrior. What will be more reliable/better performing, maf before the turbo or on the ic piping before the throttle body?

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
I prefer a blow-through setup, with the MAF in a straight section before the throttle body. With an integrated IAT, it also helps to have it located after the air charge is heated so the ecu can adjust timing appropriately. You'll also appreciate being able to still drive the car a short distance if/when an intercooler coupler pops off.

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Hahaha good point. Ill be using v bands but as little as possible and try to make solid piping.

Ba500 best for that style setup or is there somethong else i should be looking at?

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
In a different turbo build I used a BA 5000 slot style MAF with no problems. My current turbo setup in my 04 Mach 1 has a slot style, but I'm not sure what brand.

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
I spoke with my tuner and he was really against the idea of a single turbo. He says back pressures are always ****ed and ill be floating valves. I told him my kit would be simular to the hellion, in which he laughed and said that kit is garbage.

Also he wouldnt touch the car if it was stock ecu and pump gas. Pump gas he would only tune on standalone.

I planned to go fuel return and e85.

Have you guys had issues with back pressure and floating valves?

Hes pretty much saying ibshouldnt waste my time and just go 2.9 crusher on e85 and make thebsame power and still have torque, since this car will be on the streets.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
You need to find a new tuner.....If he only wants to tune the car if it has a standalone then there is a problem.

Absolutely run the MAF as a blow through setup with a slot style MAF. I like the HPX/HPX-E slot mafs. I actually will have one for sale soon as I sold my car and selling my turbo setup.

I ran a single Hellion 76mm for years. Never had valve float problems on a stock heads/valvetrain/cams car. Went 9s@ 141 on pump gas as well.

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
The tune is veryvfar out due to the kit barely being atarted so luckly i have time.

When the time comea hopefully kurgen will be around for a dyno day haha.

Ivr been told to upgrade my echaust manifolds to cg fab or aftermarket shorties. Has anyone ran shorties with a turbo setup?

MTBSully

Established Member
your tuner sounds like he shouldn't be tuning cars. Backpressure and floating valves because of single turbo? El oh ****ing el

MG0h3

Established Member
You will lose power replacing the cast manifolds with shorties. Either go with proper turbo manifolds or flip the factory manifolds.

Id never heard that. I figured a kit like CG's headers would be better than the flipped manifolds. Educate me!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Back pressure should not be an issue with a 4 inch down pipe. 700 E85 should be easy, 700 rwhp on 93 is definitely leaning hard on the pump gas.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Id never heard that. I figured a kit like CG's headers would be better than the flipped manifolds. Educate me!
True turbo manifolds will work, shorty headers will not. The cast manifolds do a better job of keeping heat in and helping with spool thus the reason the hellion kits are recommended to use stock manifolds over aftermarket shorties.

MG0h3

Established Member
True turbo manifolds will work, shorty headers will not. The cast manifolds do a better job of keeping heat in and helping with spool thus the reason the hellion kits are recommended to use stock manifolds over aftermarket shorties.

Ok copy that. Familiar with why keeping the heat in pre turbo is good. Thanks!

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Thanks for the responses and education! Ill probably build a hot side simular to helion but put the wasye gate in a better place.

Ill end up wrapping the factory exhaust manifolds along with entire hot side.

Users who are viewing this thread