Turbo Build...04 Coyote Swap GT

TClark22

Established Member
Thanks guys. I want to make sure I'm not pulling what I did the last 2 years and literally skipping summer because the car was apart. I hope to have it back up and running by the spring.

Still have to take the turbo kit back off...get the rest of it coated and wrapped. Probably going to start that this week.

Once the auto is in, all I need is to buy a cooler and install that...also need to contact Freddy brown for his 4r70 mvb controller that controls the lock up, overdrive and trans brake. Instead of me trying to figure all that on my own

N8dogg

Silver...
Established Member
Awesome build man! I'm in the middle of the fab stage on my build right now so I now all your pains about tight spaces and tedious time consuming issues. Great job on your car, one day I'll be able to drive mine again.......

smitty2919

Established Member
But imagine how much more credit you will get to be able to shift you custom built coyote turbo car like a boss! Especially without the electrical aids these new cars come with.

But I see how it's a functional thing. I would never give up the manual trans. I like shifting too much.

TClark22

Established Member
But imagine how much more credit you will get to be able to shift you custom built coyote turbo car like a boss! Especially without the electrical aids these new cars come with.

But I see how it's a functional thing. I would never give up the manual trans. I like shifting too much.

I used to be like you. But then I built a turbo car and was like this would be a lot cooler if I didn't drop all boost when I shift. (I know you can get WOT boxes and all that junk to aid a manual turbo car, but I aint about that life)

I will always have a manual car though. I love daily driving manuals. My ST will due for now. I plan on getting a 15 5.0 at some point in the next couple years and that will be a manual (I think...its hard when you have the monster of autos for a choice).

Last edited:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I used to be like you. But then I built a turbo car and was like this would be a lot cooler if I didn't drop all boost when I shift. (I know you can get WOT boxes and all that junk to aid a manual turbo car, but I aint about that life)

I will always have a manual car though. I love daily driving manuals. My ST will due for now. I plan on getting a 15 5.0 at some point in the next couple years and that will be a manual (I think...its hard when you have the monster of autos for a choice).

Fully manual reverse valve autos are actually fun as well. I use to drive our drag car on the street from time to time and had fun with it.

TClark22

Established Member
Fully manual reverse valve autos are actually fun as well. I use to drive our drag car on the street from time to time and had fun with it.

Yea I'm thinking my MVB auto will be tons of fun

Car is gonna haul ass. How much you plan on turning it up to?

I think I'm going to turn it up to 10lbs with the auto and e85. Again...rear end still stock so who knows when it will blow. I'm already well past the danger zone for a stock 8.8.

I am hoping once I buy a house I can have a little money set aside to build a rear end over the summer. I plan on using the new strange 35 spline differential they just released...to a tune of 1200$. lol street car driving to work problems and I don't want a spool. I'm sure it would be cheap to build a spool rear end

Gravik

Established Member
Thought about doing a truetrac?

Also what'd you use to make your downpipe. Just a couple of mandrel bent tubes? I'm wanting to make a custom downpipe at some point and run it out the bumper

TClark22

Established Member
Thought about doing a truetrac?

Also what'd you use to make your downpipe. Just a couple of mandrel bent tubes? I'm wanting to make a custom downpipe at some point and run it out the bumper

Haven't really thought about much in terms of rear end. I saw the strange unit released for PRI...its the only 35 spline non spool out.

Yea bought some 4" 304 stainless 90 bends and a few feet of straight pipe for the downpipe

TClark22

Established Member
Got some good work done over the weekend. Had to take advantage of the 60 degree weather.

Got the shifter cable bracket almost done, just got to finish trimming it up...my belt sander is in storage and was to lazy to go get it to actually finish. (no pics of the bracket after trimming with band saw). Started making the shifter mount and got decently far with it I think for have nothing but a vise and a hammer. Had to make it slant quite a bit because I want the 1st gear position to be almost vertical. Also got the console cut up and my shifter plates installed. Thanks to Grant Holland for the bitching console and shifter delete plates! Put a cup holder in the old shifter location! Because STREET CAR that I drive to work a lot!

I wanted to get the transmission in...but didn't have anyone to help with that. Going to have to figure something out. trans on the trans jack sits really high...I'm going to see how high I can jack the car up...but it doesn't look good! Might have to slide it under the car, then somehow lift it onto the jack but I'll see

Also took the turbo kit off...was hoping to send it off for coating but the flanges connecting to the headers are still leaking some...so I'll just have to put it back together and have my guy replace the flanges at his shop when I'm able to drive it over there.

Anyhoo...pics...

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Holy cow... people weren't joking about how high those tranny jacks sit. I've ben looking at buying one recently and I'd read some models say you have to have about 3 feet of clearance from the floor to the frame. That's just nuts to me...

Shifter setup looks great, though!

TClark22

Established Member
Well finished up the cable bracket as well as shifter mounting bracket/plate. Just need to throw some paint on them and get some bolts for the shifter mount.

Now I need to tackle trying to install the trans.

TClark22

Established Member
Trans finally went in over the weekend! Now I need to figure out what cooler and where I want it, then change driveshaft yoke and then it should be driveable. But then we gotta wire up the fancy stuff like lock up, od and trans brake

TClark22

Established Member
Closer still...

Pedal assembly swapped out. That was not as hard as I had heard people bitching about. Manual one was a tad tricket to get out but not hard at all and auto pedal went in easier.

Also yanked my radiator since I already had the hotside out. Didn't have a way to drain my radiator the way I mounted it (the petcock valve was literally up against the rad support) So I cut a little pocket and used a couple fittings to make the drain nice and accessible without having to unbolt anything. Next winter I'll probably take it out again and redo it with nice aluminum fittings and not hardware store brass shit.

But took this pic just because...

Users who are viewing this thread