tuning

badazz99

Established Member
Im hoping to get some advice and guidance on the easiest and most affordable way to start doing your own tuning? My car is a '99 2 valve.I just recently built my engine and the car has a kenne bell with the factory ECU. My current tuner isnt always available and everytime i do get ahold of him hes booked up for at least a month and its $200 everytime and even then shiftpoints may be off or minor things need adjustment then its more wait time.Any recommendations will be appreciated.

badazz99

Established Member
@badazz99 get a moates quarterhorse and start reading.

Wow,that is alot of information. Maybe i wont do my own tuning anytime soon..Thank you for all the info and i will definitely start looking into it cause i will eventually do my own tuning.Alot of what i see on this and other forums also talk about changing out the ECU for like a Holley efi system and that makes life alot easier cause it comes with everything you need and more options that the factory ecu can handle.Any opinion on that? I do hear it is pricy though.

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
Although a holley might be easier to tune and could be better. I'd honestly just stick with a stock ecu so you can keep factory wiring and functions as well. If you were to go to an aftermarket ecu, I feel like an ms3 pro might work better imo. It's a plug and play unit so you get to keep your wiring but you can still do your own tuning. In my eyes, holley is for like big boy cars making 1k hp and up while the ms3 is more for the car making moderate power but you want to tune it yourself. I think you youtuber "Lousers" put one in his new edge but he doesn't go into detail much.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Friend of mine picked up the the software from EFI when he bought his Cobra. He never tuned before in his life and was able to do it. I think decipha can also set you up with a base tune to get you started.

My opinion is if you're going to stay at a moderate level (400-600) stick with the stock ECU. If I had gone with a 2.3 Whipple I'd probably still be running the stock ECU. I had been tuning with SCT and just got tired of it. So I went MS3 and I'm very happy.

There's a few guys on the MegaSquirt forums making over 1000. It works just fine at higher power levels.

badazz99

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. Im at about 6 crank now and when i get a bigger supercharger ill probably be around 7 or 8.I been lookin at the mega squirt.I might go that route.

Mike Dj

Established Member
If you don't plan on racing a ton and needing to change the tune for racing purposes, Find another tuner or hang tight and what on your guy.

Users who are viewing this thread