tuning question/prices??

cbr repsol

Established Member
Ive called a few shops in my area , they are saying anywhere from 400-500 for a tune? Am i missing something here??? I thought when you buy a hand held it comes with tunes in them and they can make a adjustment to it while your car is on the dyno? Thats what a friend of mine did with a diablo sport and they only charged him like 100.00 . So 400.00 for tuner and 100.00 on dyno time i thought was pretty fair. In my case its 379.00-400.00 for a xcal3 and then the 4-500 for the tune. What gives? I had talked to rick at amazon and they sell the tuner with lifetime adjustment to your tune for a total of 400.00 . That seems to be the way to go. Then take it to the dyno pay 100.00 for a hour of dyno time and get a h.p and a/f read out.

:pop:

cobra916

Established Member
379 handheld and 400-500 for tune is about right... this is a monopoly brotha.. but it is what it is.. dyno tune will always be the best way to go to get safe and the most power.. make sure to do to a loaded dyno because that is the only way to get closest to real world (street) dyno tune.. even the amazon tunes with tunes for life would need to be checked on a dyno or data logged on a wideband to make sure car is fine.. no two cars will have exact same tune..

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
I've been wondering this myself...how can anyone get a really good tune without putting it on a dyno? I will be installing a custom short runner intake and IMRC deletes and know that I will need a custom tune to get the most out of this set-up. But every dealer sells the SCT with pre programmed tunes and was curious if they are any good?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've been wondering this myself...how can anyone get a really good tune without putting it on a dyno? I will be installing a custom short runner intake and IMRC deletes and know that I will need a custom tune to get the most out of this set-up. But every dealer sells the SCT with pre programmed tunes and was curious if they are any good?

All you really need is to be able to datalog. As long as you can get good info to a tuner they can tweak a tune to your combo. You can do most of it on the street really. I did 99% of my tuning on the street. I used the dyno to do the last little tweaks at WOT without having to endanger other people.

Users who are viewing this thread