Tuning question 93 octane vs E-85 (2013 5.0 F-150)

Joeblue5.0

Established Member
I've noticed with my tune I actually run less timing on e85 than I do on 93. On 93 octane it's pretty constant at 28.5-29, and the knock sensors are very happy, on E-85 it is at 27.5 degrees timing advance, with the knock sensors behaving the same way. I was under the impression that one of the benefits of e85 would be safely running more timing? Not that I think that anything above this level would really add much in terms of power, just curious. The only thing I can think of as a reason why is that on 93 octane, Lambda is .82 and on e85 it runs a little leaner at .85-.86?

Truck is a 13 Reg Cab 5.0 F150 with JLT CAI, BBK T/B, Boss intake manifold, Boss/GT intake cams, 170* t-stat, Kooks long tubes with race catted mid pipe, 4.10's, magnaflow dumped cat back, vas traction bars, and a 3/5 lowering kit. I also run nitrous, but I'm talking about my N/A tune.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Nitrous will make u run leaner. U need to tune for it with E85.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Did u test the E85? Are u sure its E85? Do u have enough fuel pump? Doesn't appear so if ur leaning out or ur injectors aren't up to par. What is ur duty cycle at?

E85's stoicheometric rate isn't is 9.5. Gas is almost 15. If ur running lean u have other issues other than E85 if its actually E85.

my nitrous tune is setup for e-85. I’m referring to my NA tune.

Last edited:

Joeblue5.0

Established Member
Did u test the E85? Are u sure its E85? Do u have enough fuel pump? Doesn't appear so if ur leaning out or ur injectors aren't up to par. What is ur duty cycle at?

The truck is flex fuel, this is the tunes strategy. When on 93 it’s set to a targeted lambda of .82, when it recognizes e85 it targets .85. Fuel pump duty cycle is 60-61% at wot

Oddly enough my dedicated e85 nitrous tune targets .82

E85's stoicheometric rate isn't is 9.5. Gas is almost 15. If ur running lean u have other issues other than E85 if its actually E85.

Users who are viewing this thread