tuning my coyote

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
I primarily to on 87-93 and 99-04 Mustangs. I just started looking into creating a tune for my personal car, a 2013 GT. it seems to me that the Sct value file is very aggressive. are tuners even using these as a base starting point? it and 5 degrees of global spark, it also seems to have tables slowing down the knock sensor, Or limiting it. just curious if guys are even using these.

DIB5.0

Established Member
Most good tuners are not using these. I heard lambda it set by tuners are at .82 - .85. Timing is set at 29* while tuners are setting it between 24-26*. Knock sensors left alone.
I know one guy with SCT tune only and made 412 rwhp. But again afr was 13.0, timing was 29* and knock sensors were limited. Can you say boom #8?

Last edited:

04compgt

Established Member
The knock sensor sensitivity is not changed. The knock sensor react time is cut in half making the knock sensors react quicker hence faster reaction from knock sensors for both adding and subtracting. I agree they are a little hot with 5* globally but a couple degrees wouldnt hurt anything. Lambda is set to .819 - .829 which is a safe afr. I wouldnt recommend using the SCT value file but it is a good reference point. Be careful with some of the advice on here, there is a lot of wrong info already and most of these folks have never even seen the software. Good luck tuning.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
if you have to ask yourself these questions OP, i would then just leave the tuning to someone with more experience tuning these cars.
Blowing up a $7k engine isn't pleasant.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
Thanks for the replys, and thanks but I'd rather tune myself like i always have. And if you don't have questions or concerns you'll never learn. I just don't like how they add so much Spark globally.

stang910

Established Member
Go ahead and use the value file as a base, but 0 out the global spark adder and change your knock tables to reflect the timing you want. That would be a good starting point, but you'll find that the tune will need more work.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
well I tune the car myself, I wasn't completely happy with the numbers I got. It made 381 horsepower. I called Aed for a tune To compare. just got off the Dyno to find out it made the exact same power. So I guess I didn't do to bad.
AED tune is in Red, mine is in blue

20130925_181250.jpg

Last edited:

RFM50

Established Member
Every dyno runs different. You really can't compare to what someone else has put down on a different dyno. There are way too many factors at work. A dyno is only a tool.

maneuen

Established Member
that still seems a bit low. I was 364 stock & with a tune and JLT intake i went to 395 (same dyno, all SAE corrected with 5 smoothing). I know there are also people that have hit 400+ with just the JLT and tune.

Maybe the JLT picked up 14 over just the tune(?), but I thought the general consensus was that most of the gain was the tune vs. the intake (as some claim to have gained nothing from the intake).

Clipboard

Established Member
I realize every dyno is different and it is a tool. In this case its being used as a tool to say something is wrong. Almost every dyno I see of just a cai and tune, or just a tune for that matter, is around 400 rwhp. Cat deletes and tune should be near 410 at the least... 400 if the DA is terrible

DIB5.0

Established Member
It could just be the dyno. There are a lot of happy dyno's out there. Unless you dynoed it stock and then with your deletes and tune the same day its hard to tell. All tunes will give you about 15rwhp.

DIB5.0

Established Member
that still seems a bit low. I was 364 stock & with a tune and JLT intake i went to 395 (same dyno, all SAE corrected with 5 smoothing). I know there are also people that have hit 400+ with just the JLT and tune.

Maybe the JLT picked up 14 over just the tune(?), but I thought the general consensus was that most of the gain was the tune vs. the intake (as some claim to have gained nothing from the intake).

CAI on the dyno will give you 10-15rwhp. Thats not the argument, its the gain on the street and track that most do not see any.

Phil DoWork

Established Member
How did you tune the car your self? I've been searching this for about 2 days so that I could have a clue but nothing. I find that tuners are the ones who can change the tables for timing spark fuel knock etc. All we have is global timing. If you don't mind to share other wise could u pm me? Thanks

Posted via Topify using Android

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
I am a sct dealer... or should I say was. I stopped tuning about 5 years ago. I still have the software and ability. The copperhead ecu is complex though. My tune made them same power as aed and drove around just fine. His tune clearly has snappier throttle and more low end torque though. I need to work on the variable cam tables.

califsp

Established Member
I have not modded my 2013 GT's engine. I have been reading a lot of tuning threads. I really appreciate the OP. He is asking questions a wants to learn more about properly tuning these coyotes. Thanks for posting and I hope you will let us know how you get to the tune you want.

02reaper

Established Member
I am a sct dealer... or should I say was. I stopped tuning about 5 years ago. I still have the software and ability. The copperhead ecu is complex though. My tune made them same power as aed and drove around just fine. His tune clearly has snappier throttle and more low end torque though. I need to work on the variable cam tables.

Even if we bought the pro racer package or whatever it is, aren't there different levels of access the public is allowed to tune vs tuners, and even some tuners have more access than others, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread