Tuning and clutch protection

Captain Crunch

Established Member
Hey guys, I have a 11 gt500 that i have setup for drag racing, upon launch , with both tractions controls off , shifting to second the car lays down then comes on strong again. Clutch protection?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
most gt500s run 18-19 degrees of timing but that is in ideal conditions of course. Your tuner may have you more conservative if you have poor fuel (CA, NM, AZ, CO, WY area) more boost >16psi or if your engine is prone to detonation (high IATs or mechanical issues like burning oil).

inform your tuner that you are not concerned with longevity and your goals are set to kill

Captain Crunch

Established Member
most gt500s run 18-19 degrees of timing but that is in ideal conditions of course. Your tuner may have you more conservative if you have poor fuel (CA, NM, AZ, CO, WY area) more boost >16psi or if your engine is prone to detonation (high IATs or mechanical issues like burning oil).

inform your tuner that you are not concerned with longevity and your goals are set to kill
He has it set at 14 degrees with a 95 octane tune and it will add up to 3 degrees if all is good. I run boostane and BP 93 mixed to 100 octane.

I have a VMP 2.3 with a 2.42 upper pulley

Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
how much boost are you making?

im sure your tuner knows more details about your setup than any of us probably good reason why he is doing what he is

sounds like your tuner already disabled the cat monitors

x pipe usually doesnt cause issues either so your tuner is correct

Captain Crunch

Established Member
how much boost are you making?

im sure your tuner knows more details about your setup than any of us probably good reason why he is doing what he is

sounds like your tuner already disabled the cat monitors

x pipe usually doesnt cause issues either so your tuner is correct
18 lbs of boost. Gen 2R 2.42 pulley. Thumbs up on the X pipe.

Tough thing is the car ran better and pulled harder on the previous vmp tune before i added the new tune , twin 67 TB and jlt intake.

Captain Crunch

Established Member
communicate that to your tuner
Ive tried..For my fist tune I had false knock caused by the exhaust hitting on the body so he set the base timing low. However even after the exhaust fix and wot pulls showing the car adding the max timing he never changed the base timing. 14 degrees base on 95 octane fuel ( i always run additive)

Users who are viewing this thread