Tuner Recommendations

DoneItDeliberate

Established Member
My preference would be an SCT device (I had an X3 and X4 in the past) with custom tune support from a reputable tuner.

My car is a stock 2012 Mustang GT, mt82, and axle back exhaust is the only "performance" mod. I don't have any plans for a power adder, likely future mods would be CAI, intake manifold and maybe long tubes, big maybe.

CobraSam

Established Member
Local dyno tuner should be able to handle that for you with ease. I prefer a dyno tune over remote as every car is different. Even with the exact same mods. My .02

matt5058

Established Member
My 2014 GT is mostly stock (dry filter, intake tube, OTA pipes, & GT 500 mufflers). I added the Ford Performance Track Cal “tune” and I’m pretty happy with it. I also don’t have any plans to do any crazy mods any time soon.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Dyno tunes are usually best as long as you're using a good, reputable dyno tuner. However, you can't go wrong with Lund, AED, or VMP.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
CAI isn’t going to do too much for you. Get a washable drop in and call it a day. I’d wait until you do headers or o/r x or h pipe as that’s going to be where your Extra power is coming from. 11-14 GT the stock catalytic plugs up some power that removing it plus a tune really frees things up. Also aim for MGW shift kit to smooth out the slop;)
Dyno tunes are usually best as long as you're using a good, reputable dyno tuner. However, you can't go wrong with Lund, AED, or VMP.
Lund uses HP or the gauge doesn’t use sct handheld any longer. I wouldn’t rule out PBD remote tuning either.

rfreeman37

Established Member
CAI isn’t going to do too much for you. Get a washable drop in and call it a day. I’d wait until you do headers or o/r x or h pipe as that’s going to be where your Extra power is coming from. 11-14 GT the stock catalytic plugs up some power that removing it plus a tune really frees things up. Also aim for MGW shift kit to smooth out the slop;)

Lund uses HP or the gauge doesn’t use sct handheld any longer. I wouldn’t rule out PBD remote tuning either.
So between Lund, AED, and PBD which would you go with if you have a supercharger on your car?

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Automatic (stock) get the biggest bank for the buck on the tune as it firms up the shift points vs a 6spd (stock). If you have a 6spd (appears you do), again you best bang for the buck before you tune is o/r and or mid pipe and plus headers. Then tune.

You’re not mentioned in your original post at the time of me writing this but skipping everything for a whipple (example) is the best power vs price adder your goin to find.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
So between Lund, AED, and PBD which would you go with if you have a supercharger on your car?
I do have supercharged mustang

Again Lund only uses HP tuners & Ngauge.

Between AED & Palm Beach.. is like asking if you want a coke or a pepsi. It’s personal preference.

13BlackGT

Established Member

I use PBD for E85 tune and a 91 tune. I got good responses for revisions for my supercharged coyote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mapster429

Established Member
I would definitely avoid LUND. I've had lots of problems with them not wanting to make basic adjustments every other tuner makes with no problem - stuff like shift rpm and firmness. They waste your time with countless emails - seemingly to wear you out and get you to go away. They've actually lied and said those specs can't be adjusted until I noted their tuner making YT videos talking about how they are adjustable. Plus, their basic NA car tune is no more powerful than a basic Bama tune - I've had both - but Bama is far more adjustable with a handheld. The Ngague is very nice but LUND locks out all kinds of functionality so you can't make the change yourself AND you need to pay LUND more $ to make a change. Pissed me off so bad I just bought a new tuner just to work with better people. I've spoken to a lot of other people that have had similar experiences. I've heard good things about AED from a lot of people but I don't know myself.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I had the track key tune (same as procal) just miss the more aggressive engine breaking, and the launch control /pit lane limiter the BOSS had.
Been on Shaun @ AED's tunes nearly stock and now with the turbo e85 fuel system etc running an X4.
Driven in about every type of weather from well over 108 with ridiculous humidity and dry to -15*F, rain and snow and from 300ft ASL to well over 7,600ft (14,115ft once). I drive to Colorado a lot, my sisters house is ~540mi from my house, and I do work at the stores in Denver and Colorado springs (heading up in about a week or so for a new store in CS)
I'm normally at around 1320ft and have actual E85 and E98 on tap but only 91 for premium gas. Have a tune for both but unless I have to drive it below freezing or a longer trip it's running on E85.
Only time it gave me any trouble was my fault when I had to DD the mustang for several months from 10-20 to 4-21. Kansas weather being crazy I still had E85 in the tank as daytime temps were well over 50*F (my garage is finished so it only gets below freezing if I leave the door open in sub zero temps) artic cold front came in a bit early noon instead of the evening and by 5pm we were in the upper 20*s. Alcohol does not like it below freezing, so it started up then was stumbling a bit as it was running really rich (ID1050s) where ethanol/water was making a small stream out of both my exhaust tips (saw from camera footage the next day after seeing 2 trails behind me), a few light blips (2500rpm max) and 20 yards of easy driving in 1st/2nd later it was warm enough that she idled ran fine. I burnt off the remaining E85 and and put 91 in that evening, changed tunes. No problems, much less boost, but drives like stock when you're putting around.
I could drive it across the country and not really think twice about the tune, just if I can run my nice wheels or put the stockers with all seasons on due to snow. I actually get better millage after my turbo, but swapping the rear gears from 3.73 to 3.31 probably helped the most
Even NA the tune was fantastic, as it really woke up above 4k even compared to track key. Really refined and optimized the car to run as well as possible.
With the turbo, well it sounds like a Cessna Citation X in boost, and pulls harder.
Almost not as much fun as NA as you are at "go to jail speed" by the end of 3rd vs rowing 2-3-4 going up an onramp.

Users who are viewing this thread