Tuner recommendations in Southern California.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
Well you have a couple options now. It’s hard to keep every customer happy with timelines, needs, and money. And it only takes one unhappy customer for one fact to snowball into a bigger lie. I️ loved Ricardo at GTR but I’m sure any would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive used Greg @ RET, he is one option.

Option 2, get with GTR and see when they have Bob Kurgan scheduled for his next trip to SoCal to come out and tune. I know he does tuning in the spring and fall.

IIRC, Ricardo uses Kurgan remote tuning to tune a lot of their customers cars

I've used both, prefer Kurgan

grd951

Established Member
I relocated from Northern Colorado to North County San Diego back at the end of 2014.

The car has had some issues and I'm hoping you guys can recommend someone who is a "guru" for these cars, especially the modified ones.

Please let me know where I should go for help. Thanks in advance.

Can’t go wrong with Swanson performance out in Torrance. Dude has been working with mustangs for awhile now.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
Not just that guy. There is a class action lawsuit filed against greg. There was a massive backlash against him on the SoCal parts pages when he was mentioned as a tuner.

Care to share the link? this is the first I hear of this.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Care to share the link? this is the first I hear of this.

I could look but that was over six months ago. Had a bunch of people message me too saying to stay away and things of that nature. Had to do with tuning and building of motors or well the improper building of motors

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
I could look but that was over six months ago. Had a bunch of people message me too saying to stay away and things of that nature. Had to do with tuning and building of motors or well the improper building of motors

You see that's the thing, I can tell you first hand RET never built motors. They installed them but you had to take the motor complete from covers to oil pan. Don't believe everything you read online.

wckdvnm

Established Member
You see that's the thing, I can tell you first hand RET never built motors. They installed them but you had to take the motor complete from covers to oil pan. Don't believe everything you read online.

They do assemble heads and cams and things of that nature. Most everyone that said something said it was that they just had motor work done there. I’ve even heard greg doesn’t even tune anymore, he’s done what some other tuners around here have and have trained new people. When I called them and asked if greg still tuned I was told “maybe”.

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
They do assemble heads and cams and things of that nature. Most everyone that said something said it was that they just had motor work done there. I’ve even heard greg doesn’t even tune anymore, he’s done what some other tuners around here have and have trained new people. When I called them and asked if greg still tuned I was told “maybe”.

They do install cams, but that isn't the same as assembling a motor. Again with what you've heard that he isn't tuning is incorrect, he is still doing the tuning. He's never had another person tuning for him. I just went 2 weeks ago to get a start up tune for my car, so who ever told you that again was lying to you.

wckdvnm

Established Member
They do install cams, but that isn't the same as assembling a motor. Again with what you've heard that he isn't tuning is incorrect, he is still doing the tuning. He's never had another person tuning for him. I just went 2 weeks ago to get a start up tune for my car, so who ever told you that again was lying to you.

That was his employee on the phone.

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
That was his employee on the phone.

LOL Greg is the only person that tunes out of his shop, he's never trained anyone to tune on his behalf.

OP whoever you end up choosing I recommend you visit the shop and get info there, to many rumors get thrown around these days on the internet. I Like Greg's work @ RET but I also will tell you addiction motorsports is another good choice. Those are the only 2 shops I would recommend out of SoCal.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I just went 2 weeks ago to get a start up tune for my car, so who ever told you that again was lying to you.

Good to hear that Greg is still there, the last time I was there was about 6 yrs ago.

Will def see him when I put on my TVS - hopefully someday soon!

wallie40

Established Member
Recommendation for Adam@ST Motorsports in San Bernardino. I tuned with Greg and PowerTrain Dynamics, never will again.

@OP what part of SD are you in?

G04cobra

Established Member
I went to Powertrain Dynamics in Huntington Beach. Had their tune for close to 100k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread