Tuner Blew my Engine!

nxhappy

Established Member
that's what can happen when you have a shit load of boost and non-forged internals. It could have been the tuners fault but you never know. And obviously the knock/detonation didn't help anything.

Good luck with your build. Make sure you buy a strong ass motor :)

big dad

Established Member
Look at it this way, it's like the old lady that went to the hospital to have her gall stones removed, and while on the operating table she has a heart attack.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
Damage had probably been cumulatively done. Bad luck it happened when it did. Probably NOT the new tuners fault.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
No I don't think the first tuner was any of the great places. Somewhere in Denver. Guy I took it to was here at 02 dynamics in rapid city. He does a lot of nice cars guess I just went in with a ticking time bomb. Yeah taking my car to Excessive Autosports who are very good and they'll be installing my new Aluminator block and I'll be Running N/A till next year and I'll be getting a Paxton

Yeah,....that's horrible.
Good luck going forward!

gt347mustang

Established Member
No I don't think the first tuner was any of the great places. Somewhere in Denver. Guy I took it to was here at 02 dynamics in rapid city. He does a lot of nice cars guess I just went in with a ticking time bomb. Yeah taking my car to Excessive Autosports who are very good and they'll be installing my new Aluminator block and I'll be Running N/A till next year and I'll be getting a Paxton

Who were the tuners?

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
I told him I wanted it safe and I'm not sure what previous tune had it at but will have to look again. I was surprised cause after first run he said he adjusted the fuel and ran it again and 3rd run he turned up timing and it blew.
So he fattened it up, then added timing. Which can put you close to where you were with less fuel and less timing...
We would need a LOT more details from hard data before jumping on a tuner though

Last edited:

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
E85 has a stoich of 9.85. If you were tuning by A/F ratio instead of Lambda I don't see how he could get it close as most wide bands are set up for gasoline. Also, I didn't think E85 was as prone to detonation but is prone to pre ignition.

SVTPete83

Established Member
So he fattened it up, then added timing. Which can put you close to where you were with less fuel and less timing...
We would need a LOT more details from hard data before jumping on a tuner though
This. Rods will break due to excessive boost and rpm. There is no way I would have left the place without the data logs of each of the runs. More info needed for sure.

robert presti

Established Member
So had my Mustang with 2.3 whipple,e85 and most supporting mods besides forged internals. So it was running good before I took it to him I had just wanted to make sure it was running good. Car was previously tuned in Denver and altitude had changed so didn't want to take any chances. He told me the previous tune was lean I think like 12 something and it was knocking around 7k rpm. He adjusted the afr to mid 11 and the rod snapped at 6200rpm at 653hp.. Is he just a shitty tuner or had the damage been done already with previous tune and finally busted when he ran it? Just pissed because I'm out 400 bucks and now gonna spend 5k for a built shortblock which I don't mind it's just a lot of money at the moment..

You blew your engine up. lean has nothing to do with rods flying apart. I built an engine the way you did and it failed as well. An engine is just an air pump. It will make power to the point it blows up. Non supercharged cobras and mach 1's had better cranks, not sure about the rods, but I have seen enough blown up mach 1's to know the rods have limitations even in stock applications. The terminator's had h-beam rods stock for a reason. 650 hp on stock rods stand as much chance as a beer can against a sledge hammer.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Lean usually means a hole in the piston or failed ringlands. Cylinder pressure plus rpm will lead to broken rods.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Lean usually means a hole in the piston or failed ringlands. Cylinder pressure plus rpm will lead to broken rods.

Seeing a hole is rare in modular engines, very common in the 2 stroke world. RPM is also an effective way to fail a rod. Knock from a poor tune/fuel causes the big end to seize and, boom, air conditioning.

robert presti

Established Member
Wrong, being lean = detonation = distorted rod bearings = very efficient method for causing rod failure.
From the blown up engines I've seen the piston dies first under some detonation, he said it snapped a rod in half. That said you might be correct as well. I don't know much about engines that are stock with someone hoping to build retarded power.

I do know I've a short block that had good bearings, h-beam rods and 800 hp forged pistons, and when it detonated it broke the piston only. car still ran fine, but had a lot of blow by. That was around a 540 wheel hp car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread