tuned auto....barking gears..

chancejat

Established Member
i have a bama race tune on my 13 auto and the tune is great, it really woke the car up....0-100mph is 9.0 secs with the tune and 10.6 without, also my 1/8th mile time went down a half sec. but i was wondering if having the gear shift barking the tires so hard on the 1-2 shift is helping acceleration at all? it seems that the car will rev up a little in between shifts before engaging the next gear so it can shift firmer. i would think that instead barking the gears the tune should focus on the fastest shifting possible. aggressive shifting seems to do the opposite of add accel, it causes wheel spin(sometimes alot) and a shift delay. are there any experienced tuners who can explain to me why barking/firm shifting the gears is faster?

chancejat

Established Member
the question isnt about my tires.....i was just curious if it was necessary for it to shift so firm, and if it actually helps performance. when its freezing out, i dont care what tires you have theyre gonna spin at wot in 1st and on the 1-2 shift.

Mach828

Established Member
the question isnt about my tires.....i was just curious if it was necessary for it to shift so firm, and if it actually helps performance. when its freezing out, i dont care what tires you have theyre gonna spin at wot in 1st and on the 1-2 shift.

Solution: Don't go WOT during sub-freezing temperatures. :nonono:

chancejat

Established Member
...i dont give a shit about the tire spin....i was just curious if it was necessary for it to shift so firm, and if it actually helps performance.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
the question isnt about my tires.....i was just curious. f it was necessary for it to shift so firm, and if it actually helps performance. when its freezing out, i dont care what tires you have theyre gonna spin at wot in 1st and on the 1-2 shift.

ITS A RACE TUNE. if you want a smoother shift load the performance tune. What idiot goes WOT when its freezing out? not too smart i see you are.

Dragonpassion

Established Member
With the race tune the trany shift points were stiffened up also. This is normal. Had a 07 gt with a race tune and a few mods. It to barked solid when wot shifting. In the winter I would put the normal tune back in and trany would smooth back out. On a race tune you want it to hit the next gear hard and fast.

NickSezz

Established Member
sounds right, but if anything, it feels like there is more slip or delay before the gear engages with the tune....

You get what you pay for...

We have the most experience tuning automatic transmissions for street/strip applications. It's one thing to jack up shift pressures, but getting the slip time right takes some skill.

Sounds like you just need a better calibration form someone who knows how to give you what you are looking for. Most will not even realize that something is off like you are.

Let me know if we can help.

chancejat

Established Member
You get what you pay for...

We have the most experience tuning automatic transmissions for street/strip applications. It's one thing to jack up shift pressures, but getting the slip time right takes some skill.

Sounds like you just need a better calibration form someone who knows how to give you what you are looking for. Most will not even realize that something is off like you are.

Let me know if we can help.

thx for a helpful reply....almost everyone else on the forum seems to think that bashing the op is more important that answering the question that was asked....

Tubra

Established Member
It also helps to have all your suspension buttoned up and maintained (alignment, etc) Mine was all off and it would blow the tires completely out during the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Now to answer your question OP, yes, it does help with acceleration, when said suspension and tires are all tip-top, you'll feel a slight launch from the firm shifting, its a beautiful thing. Everything works in harmony (engine,suspension,tires, etc,) so make sure it all is maintained when tuning. When my tires are low or something is off somewhere, I will absolutely feel it in the tune, shifts can get funky, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread