Tune/Tuner recs for stock 5.0 & other noob questions

matt5058

Established Member
I did a couple of searches and couldn't find threads addressing these exact questions but if there's a general tuning thread that has tons of FAQs addressed (like the BMR all things suspension thread), by all means, please point me in the right direction.

My car will be out of warranty soon and I'm interested in adding a little bit more power without dropping a ton of money on bolt-ons. Based on some initial reading and having browsed the forums casually for a while, there's a decent amount of power being left on the table with the stock tune. I've seen some threads here and in other forums comparing tunes from Lund, AED, Brenspeed, etc. and just to make sure I understand generally how tuning the Coyotes works, you need a tuner (such as SCT or DiabloSport) in order to upload a tune to the car, whether it be one that comes with the tuner itself or a mail order tune from one of the aforementioned companies. Do I have that right?

If so, does the tuner (the tool itself) matter so much as the tune that you upload? I am not knowledgeable enough to make adjustments myself so I imagine I'd just use a pre-loaded tune or get a mail order tune from Lund or something.

My car is a 2014 GT, six speed manual, with about 26k miles. I've mostly used it for weekend driving and autocross up to this point. The only mods I have are Roush axle backs, lower control arms, and adjustable panhard rod. I have a JLT oil separator, Barton shifter bracket, and BMR upper control arm that I'll add when I have time but the engine is stock. Is there a preferred tuner/tune combination for folks with no engine mods? Eventually down the line I'd love to do headers and a full exhaust but my modding needs to stay on the cheaper side for now.

Thanks for tips or links to relevant threads. Cheers.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I hope you like opinions. Because you just asked the question equivalent of Ford Vs Chevy on tuners. I only answer as I have recently looked into furthering my tune, but quite frankly I don't find the tunes that some of the big names sell to be economically wise for those with simple bolt ons. (and I mean the average car with CAI and exhaust, perhaps a few small others) I currently run a simple Bama setup via an SCT X4 and have been doing so for 2 years with no issues or complaints. I think their tune is perhaps a bit on the conservative side. But there will be people who scream that company sucks only use this one, etc and so forth. I think once you get into Forced Induction or cams or something large scale, then the big name tuners are probably a must. Until then, it would seem to me that you more or less are throwing away a bit of money using them for the minor stuff. For example, having recently spoken to a few vendors from here, it would run almost as much as I paid for the X4 with lifetime revisions included to get just a single tune from the bigger tuners......something I don't think is worth the investment with the mods I have. (Boss intake, 85mm TB, CAI, catless exhaust on an X) Perhaps in the future when I delve deeper into more extensive mods I'll reconsider having the bigger boys tune, but at this point I don't think it would provide an increase worth the effort. Good luck in sorting through the opinions to come.

matt5058

Established Member
I hope you like opinions. Because you just asked the question equivalent of Ford Vs Chevy on tuners. I only answer as I have recently looked into furthering my tune, but quite frankly I don't find the tunes that some of the big names sell to be economically wise for those with simple bolt ons. (and I mean the average car with CAI and exhaust, perhaps a few small others) I currently run a simple Bama setup via an SCT X4 and have been doing so for 2 years with no issues or complaints. I think their tune is perhaps a bit on the conservative side. But there will be people who scream that company sucks only use this one, etc and so forth. I think once you get into Forced Induction or cams or something large scale, then the big name tuners are probably a must. Until then, it would seem to me that you more or less are throwing away a bit of money using them for the minor stuff. For example, having recently spoken to a few vendors from here, it would run almost as much as I paid for the X4 with lifetime revisions included to get just a single tune from the bigger tuners......something I don't think is worth the investment with the mods I have. (Boss intake, 85mm TB, CAI, catless exhaust on an X) Perhaps in the future when I delve deeper into more extensive mods I'll reconsider having the bigger boys tune, but at this point I don't think it would provide an increase worth the effort. Good luck in sorting through the opinions to come.

Haha, I wasn't planning to start any war of words but if folks chime in, so be it.

When you say the Ford vs. Chevy bit are you referring to tuners as in the physical tool (SCT or whatever) or the folks/shops that do custom tunes?

I guess the main thing I'm trying to understand is if the tool used for the tuning makes a significant difference or not. Like if I get this SCT X4 for example, I could run a tune that comes with it, like Bama or whatever, and then if that's not working out, I could have a mail order tune from a shop and still use the X4 to add the tune with no issues....and like you mentioned, add more mods and then change the tune as necessary to better accommodate the mods.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Haha, I wasn't planning to start any war of words but if folks chime in, so be it.

When you say the Ford vs. Chevy bit are you referring to tuners as in the physical tool (SCT or whatever) or the folks/shops that do custom tunes?

I guess the main thing I'm trying to understand is if the tool used for the tuning makes a significant difference or not. Like if I get this SCT X4 for example, I could run a tune that comes with it, like Bama or whatever, and then if that's not working out, I could have a mail order tune from a shop and still use the X4 to add the tune with no issues....and like you mentioned, add more mods and then change the tune as necessary to better accommodate the mods.
I meant the opinion of tunes and tuners and like the opinion of Ford vs Chevy guys. Ford guys don't drive Chevy's. Chevy guys don't drive Fords. (and dodge guys are just lost in the back....lol) I use the X4. You could upload a different tuners tune into the X4 so essentially if you do the deal that AM has you get the tuner with free tunes for life from Bama and if you decide to change tuners you can still use that X4 which you would have paid the same price for either way. There are more expensive tuners out there, but for the purpose of simple uploading there is no need for any fancy ass device. You use it for 10 minutes to program and then I put it in the trunk where it lives until I need to run a revision or update. Some of the other devices have displays with gauges etc, but I don't see the need. For data logging purposes you just plug the thing into your laptap and shazam there's your log file. As to what tuner to use, again really depends on how much you have done or intend to do. The big name guys charge big ass fees. And a simple swap of an intake manifold can increase that cost by 50%.....whereas with the tunes for life you just submit a revision and within a few days (or less, mostly about 24 hours) you have a new tune at no cost. But once you get into longtubes or forced induction or nitrous you'll want a more specific tune from one of those big name.

96gt02

Established Member
the physical tuner (X3 or X4) will not make any differences in the way the car is actually tuned. You can use either model in your case so might be better to go with what you can find cheaper.

Famine

Established Member

I was ignorant too pertaining too the subpar tunes from bama on my first 5.0. This time around when i was na, i went from a bama tune to aed and it was a night and day difference in driveability. You would never know the bama tune was subpar if you didnt go with a better tuner like aed, lund, or vmp, unless of course you had bigger issues.

Also fyi, the longtube headers don't require a tune; however, an intake where the id of the maf section is changed, does.

GHOST99

Established Member

very well spoken. thank you.

Holovacko

Established Member
For all the noobs, to help you save your money. If you only have bolt-ons etc, go with Lund and the Ngauge tuner. The Ngauge makes data logging, easy enough for any noob, plus the Lund customer support is very good. There are other tuners out there, that are also very good, but to make it simple for a noob, that's where I would go. There is a difference in tunes that just work, compared to tunes that work and go fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

matt5058

Established Member
For all the noobs, to help you save your money. If you only have bolt-ons etc, go with Lund and the Ngauge tuner. The Ngauge makes data logging, easy enough for any noob, plus the Lund customer support is very good. There are other tuners out there, that are also very good, but to make it simple for a noob, that's where I would go. There is a difference in tunes that just work, compared to tunes that work and go fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

At the moment I don't have any bolt ons (aside from axle backs but I just got those to open up the sound a bit). I am thinking that I could order an SCT tuner and get a tune like Bama to make some extra power as is, then when eventually I add things like long tubes, I would see about an updated tune from Lund or something. I figure I have to buy the actual physical tuner itself anyways so maybe I could make some extra power at the moment since it will be a while before I can do bolt-ons. Does this make any sense or am I talking crazy talk?

96gt02

Established Member
Another vote to stay away from BAMA, my only choices would AED, Lund, or VMP in that order.

matt5058

Established Member
You cannot go wrong with a nGauge/Lund combo setup.
http://teambeefcakeracing.com/lr-ngauge-tune1114.html

Running this tuner/tune setup with full exhaust, headers included, will transform the car. Catless exhaust if possible. Whatever you need, we have, so whether you want some quotes or to pick my brain, message me.

Any reason why you'd suggest nGauge over SCT X4? Looks like they are the same price with the Lund tune on your site.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 2014 GT with automatic and 3.15 gears. No engine related mods except for a K&N CAi tube and drop-in filter.

I have the Bama V2 tunes (93 Octane Performance & Race) and use the Race tune unless I'm going on a longer road trip and then use the Performance tune)

The Bama tunes, which include modified shift points & firmness, made a SIGNIFICANT difference. I first loaded the Performance tune and it was "OMG, what a difference!". After a couple of days, I loaded the RACE tune and it was "Holy Sh** what a difference!"

I have no idea if what I felt was mainly due to the engine related changes or to the transmission changes. I suspect a combination.

I never took it to the track before the tune but it turned a 12.51 @ 112 at MIR with Nitto 555R drag radials mounted on 20" GT500 wheels. Granted it was close to sea level and a cool 55° day, but then again the tall wheel/tire combo wasn't helping.

I had heard mixed reviews about V1 of the Bama tunes but about 2-3 years ago a new lead tuner developed their V2 tunes.

It is certainly possible that others can provide a better tune for more money but
I feel the Bama v2 tune was a good value for me and a GT automatic.

matt5058

Established Member
Displays more functions at one time, get the vent mount and its a great addition to the interior as well. Updates tunes a looot faster than a SCT.

Thanks again. Another noob question. I noticed that in the options you need to fill in when ordering, it asks for the fuel type. I mostly do 93 octane but sometimes 91 depending on where I am and what's available. If I get the car tuned for 93 and put other fuel in, if I'm on a road trip or something, does the tune need to be adjusted or will there be any issues? Thanks.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
They (Bama) recommended I revert to the stock tune (on my stock engine) if I could not get 93. Of course, with their Tunes for Life I guess I could just request a separate 91 octane tune.

I guess you would be ok in an emergency. Just don't get too aggressive with the throttle and downshift an extra gear on steep hills.

deletednow2017

Established Member
Thanks again. Another noob question. I noticed that in the options you need to fill in when ordering, it asks for the fuel type. I mostly do 93 octane but sometimes 91 depending on where I am and what's available. If I get the car tuned for 93 and put other fuel in, if I'm on a road trip or something, does the tune need to be adjusted or will there be any issues? Thanks.
Fuel updates do carry a charge. Contact lund about that.. they'll get you straightened away!

HaroldP

Established Member
I'm working with VMP for tuning on my kit and it's been excellent.
I'm using an X4 and it's very simple.
Please help I have a SCT x3 tuner on my Cobra but don't know anything about how it works. Do I need to take my car to a performance shop to get it tuned and dynod or etc... Thanks for any advice/help

Users who are viewing this thread