Robert Saienni

I noticed many of us install the same mods... Wonder why nobody has posts mods and said: "Hey, if you have the same, use this tune I copied". Yes, it sounds crazy, but is it really?

Robert Saienni

Thanks for that, I'm trying to understand that info in the link, omg, wow lol. I am waiting for a price from JDM, for a retune.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
This is the basis for " canned " tunes.
The fact that no two cars are exactly the same is why " canned " tunes usually need a revision.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
as mentioned most of the tunes are locked so they cant be shared. Theyre only for a certain processor code so even 2 cars with the same mods cant share due to different computer codes, the tunes are also matched to the serial number of the tuning device and the device marries to the vehicle.

decipha

Established Member
its not stealing if you paid for it, at that point it becomes YOURS, if any tuner locks you out of your own tune you should really reconsider using that tuner considering your paying for it

any tune can be loaded in to any other vehicle no problem, you cannot lock an eec

the old school handhelds and the like are all outdated devices, theres much more advanced and better / faster / less problematic devices on the market, the moates quarterhorse for one, realtime tuning and logging abilities that dates all other devices back to the stone age

ibleedblue65

Established Member
its not stealing if you paid for it, at that point it becomes YOURS, if any tuner locks you out of your own tune you should really reconsider using that tuner considering your paying for it

any tune can be loaded in to any other vehicle no problem, you cannot lock an eec

the old school handhelds and the like are all outdated devices, theres much more advanced and better / faster / less problematic devices on the market, the moates quarterhorse for one, realtime tuning and logging abilities that dates all other devices back to the stone age

So it should be legal for me to make copies of any software I want and distribute it since i paid for it? Music? Movies? I mean i paid for it so i should be able to copy and distribute it.

decipha

Established Member
No not at all because you did not pay that programmer to specifically make that software specifically for you, nor did you pay that artist to make a specific song for you, nor did you pay that actress to star in your movie for you.

However you did pay your tuner to specifically make a specific tune for your specific vehicle.

That is exactly the same as paying a programmer to create software for you. You can then put your software you paid to have created on any computer you please.

To further that its absolutely no different than paying an engine builder to build an engine for you. Since you paid for your engine, you can sell it, give it away, etc... its YOURS to do with it as you want its not the engine builders just cuz you paid them to do the work for you.

I've been publically giving my own custom tunes away free for years. Am I wrong for doing that?

ibleedblue65

Established Member
No not at all because you did not pay that programmer to specifically make that software specifically for you, nor did you pay that artist to make a specific song for you, nor did you pay that actress to star in your movie for you.

However you did pay your tuner to specifically make a specific tune for your specific vehicle.

That is exactly the same as paying a programmer to create software for you. You can then put your software you paid to have created on any computer you please.

To further that its absolutely no different than paying an engine builder to build an engine for you. Since you paid for your engine, you can sell it, give it away, etc... its YOURS to do with it as you want its not the engine builders just cuz you paid them to do the work for you.

I've been publically giving my own custom tunes away free for years. Am I wrong for doing that?

Not at all. It's yours to give away but i disagree that all tuners should openly share their tunes. Tuners spend a bunch of time developing calibrations for specific vehicles.

Lets say you have me tune your 15 mustang for instance. You pay me for a couple hours of my time to tune the car. What you dont pay me for is the hours of dyno time developing different cam settings etc for your specific set up.

I give out a lot of information for free. I deal in a lot of new cars 15+ and spend a lot of time dealing with software that is missing a ton of parameters needed to calibrate the vehicle properly so i jave to pour through a2ls engineering documents etc to figure this stuff out. And then have it added. And test to see if it works. I share this info but I'm not giving away specific specs on a tune up that I've got a ton of time in. Eec v shit is different. Its no where near as complex. Why do you think lund encrypts his shit and gives them goofy cals and stuff? Because he's on the cutting edge and putting in a ton of leg work on the software side. Why give that away for free?

Sorry if I was a smart ass in my first post but you did make a pretty generalized argument that all tuners should share their tunes. Its not always that simple.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Not at all. It's yours to give away but i disagree that all tuners should openly share their tunes. Tuners spend a bunch of time developing calibrations for specific vehicles.

Lets say you have me tune your 15 mustang for instance. You pay me for a couple hours of my time to tune the car. What you dont pay me for is the hours of dyno time developing different cam settings etc for your specific set up.

I give out a lot of information for free. I deal in a lot of new cars 15+ and spend a lot of time dealing with software that is missing a ton of parameters needed to calibrate the vehicle properly so i jave to pour through a2ls engineering documents etc to figure this stuff out. And then have it added. And test to see if it works. I share this info but I'm not giving away specific specs on a tune up that I've got a ton of time in. Eec v shit is different. Its no where near as complex. Why do you think lund encrypts his shit and gives them goofy cals and stuff? Because he's on the cutting edge and putting in a ton of leg work on the software side. Why give that away for free?

Sorry if I was a smart ass in my first post but you did make a pretty generalized argument that all tuners should share their tunes. Its not always that simple.

Have you bothered to visit Decipha's site and looked to see the amount of time, effort and knowledge he shares about tuning for free? The guy definitely knows tuning top to bottom and even more than just the tuning part, the hardware/programming side as well. It's all greatly appreciated the things he does and I wish there were more like him.

I also agree that you should own the tune once its paid for. I originally came from the Fbody world and there people would openly share tunes. There were even a few websites that you could post your tune to and share them for download. It wasn't until I switched over to Fords all this secret tune stuff really showed up.

Last edited:

ibleedblue65

Established Member
Have you bothered to visit Decipha's site and looked to see the amount of time, effort and knowledge he shares about tuning for free? The guy definitely knows tuning top to bottom and even more than just the tuning part, the hardware/programming side as well. It's all greatly appreciated the things he does and I wish there were more like him.

I also agree that you should own the tune once its paid for. I originally came from the Fbody world and there people would openly share tunes. There were even a few websites that you could post your tune to and share them for download. It wasn't until I switched over to Fords all this secret tune stuff really showed up.

Yes I have seen quite a lot of his stuff and i respect the fact that he freely shares a lot if information and helps out a lot of people. But that's his decision. Its his work.

Just for the record, I dont lock or encrypt anything I do but I understand why some guys do. I was just playing devils advocate.

Bullitt5566

Established Member
With the commercial software you need a vendor license instead of a single license to create tunes for other vehicles. I use SCT, but would trade that for Moates any day. My tuner gave me the tune file after the dyno session with the pinky promise that I not share it. I abide by our agreement, besides there isn't anything earth shattering in it. My approach is to take it to the tuner for WOT tuning and I take care of everything else.

cj428mach

Established Member
The truth is with a Quarterhorse/Jaybird no tune is safe. Before I unmarried my Xcal3 I pulled my current tune that I made off the ECM with my Quarterhorse and then I loaded my old Amazon Racing tune on to the ECM with the Xcal3 and then pulled that tune off with my Quarterhorse.

The Quarterhorse just confirmed that all I got from Amazon was a tune with the SCT value files loaded and a slight MAF curve tweak at the top end.

Users who are viewing this thread