Tune dilemma

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
Was able to reach out to the previous owner to get some history on our new to us 17 GT350. He said the original owner was the attorney for a North Texas Ford dealer who sold it and bought a GT350 R. Second owner is a city manager for a town in North Texas - only those two had driven it and it was always babied, only washed once and always kept detailed and spotless. Here is the dilemma - PO took it to Dallas Mustang to get long tube headers, X pipe & JLT cold air. It was tuned by them but they forgot to give the SCT X4 back to the owner. When he remembered to go back and get it, they were out of business! Because of not having the tuner, we don't have the stock tune in case we need warranty work. The dealership we got it from is family so I could get it flashed back to stock if we needed to but the JLT requires a custom tune - flashing back to stock would destroy the DM tune, so I would need to buy another tuner and find a reputable tune shop to build me a new one. PO reported no oil consumption in 4,000 miles and the car runs perfect now so I'm thinking if just letting it ride and not spend $6 - 700 unless I have to. Thoughts? Thanks!!

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
They will still see the key cycle count abnormally low after you flash back to stock for warranty work.

96gt02

Established Member
Ideally you would want to datalog the car and look at the fuel trim, AFR, timing, knock etc. and as long as that all checks out Id just leave it

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with @96gt02. After datalogging if everything looks fine, leave it alone.

Since the dealership is family, do you really need to worry about flashing it back to factory if you bring the car in for routine service?

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
I think I'm also in agreement since the dealership is owned by cousins (if you get a divorce in Arkansas is your ex-wife still your cousin?) I think a good data logging to check for issues and let it eat. I've already been watching the AFR and it all looks good. The tuner for Dallas Mustang also had a strong reputation as well when they were open. PO said 500 HP at the rollers after the work and dyno tune. Thanks for the feedback!

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
i'd want to contact tuning company and explain to them what happened, hopefully be able to buy their handheld unit and maybe they can transfer it over somehow? i know with the ngauge there is valuable data in there i kept up with due to e85 tune. also, if they accidentally flash it back to stock you up a creek!

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
i'd want to contact tuning company and explain to them what happened, hopefully be able to buy their handheld unit and maybe they can transfer it over somehow? i know with the ngauge there is valuable data in there i kept up with due to e85 tune. also, if they accidentally flash it back to stock you up a creek!
I would love to do just that but it was tuned by Dallas Mustang - currently out of business

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I would love to do just that but it was tuned by Dallas Mustang - currently out of business
If you really want an escape route back to stock, then here's how to do it:

1. Take the car and the OEM intake to your friendly dealer. Get them to install the factory intake and flash the ECU back to stock. The car will run ok, but don't do anything extreme on the drive home.
2. Buy a mail-order tune from Lund or one of the other reputable sellers. Your setup isn't particularly exotic, so a good and safe tune is probably sitting on somebody's shelf already.
3. Reinstall the JLT and flash the new tune.

There is another possibility - a speed shop nearby that uses HP Tuners software may be able to download a backup copy of your existing tune off the ECU, and that could become a backup if you need it. You'd have to shop around and it's possible that the HP Tuners kit won't read an SCT tune - it's a bit more speculative.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
ahhh gotcha, didn't catch that part. would be nice if all that stuff was in SCT4 database, but i'm probably wishful thinking there. i might still call them and see what they'd do...never know

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
If you really want an escape route back to stock, then here's how to do it:

1. Take the car and the OEM intake to your friendly dealer. Get them to install the factory intake and flash the ECU back to stock. The car will run ok, but don't do anything extreme on the drive home.
2. Buy a mail-order tune from Lund or one of the other reputable sellers. Your setup isn't particularly exotic, so a good and safe tune is probably sitting on somebody's shelf already.
3. Reinstall the JLT and flash the new tune.

There is another possibility - a speed shop nearby that uses HP Tuners software may be able to download a backup copy of your existing tune off the ECU, and that could become a backup if you need it. You'd have to shop around and it's possible that the HP Tuners kit won't read an SCT tune - it's a bit more speculative.
Thanks - I can do that if datalogging does show an issue - I'm going to do that. I've got the original intake and put that on no sweat and since the dealer is family they will flash to stock if it ever had to be done. Then you are exactly right, get a tuner and have a new tune made then install it and the cold air. No reputable speed shops around here that I know of - in the sticks in Arkansas! Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread