Tuff Stuff or PA Performance Alternator?

tbone7467

Established Member
I’m looking at getting a new alternator on my car also. I want a good quality unit. I’ve read about some that are more high performance an less resistance an such. I’m not sure who makes the best unit. I’ve seen PA Tuff Mechman. I also saw something about the big 3 upgrade changing wires. Any help you can lend about that also would be greatly appreciated.

tbone7467

Established Member
Screen in deck an another (1) headrest monitor. I also have the Sony Xplode XM-7557 amp. these are installed. Im also looking into installing dual fans. I switched dash lights to LED

Last edited:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
What year is your car?

Is the stuff installed in the car already? Is your current alternator keeping up? (measure voltage, or watch for signs such as: flickering lights, surging etc under load = headlights on, heater/ac on etc)

There is a little science behind these high AMP alternators, and a lot of people get caught up in the marketing and dish out more $ then they need to. (Just like every other things thats marketed in the automotive performance/enthusiast world).

Stock alternators are rated at 130Amps. Anything more than 150AMP upgrade will more than likey require wiring upgrades as well, depending on the loads/demands put on the alternator.

Some reading for basic tech info:
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/additional-tech/1702-amperage-tips-when-wiring-your-chevy/

tbone7467

Established Member
Yeah its already installed. I don't think its keeping up I get lights dimming when i roll up windows. I also noticed in the summer that when the ac is running my battery gauge seems to move toward low charge. also at times when im driving randomly ill stop and my idle drops and the car stalls out or it goes down like its about to stall so I have to keep the idle up till it levels back off. I was planning to upgrade the big 3 wires.

Users who are viewing this thread